1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Amir Fleschwund

Amir Fleschwund Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2008
    You did well at the flea mkt/estate sale! You just never know what you’ll find among the dozens of clapped out, rusty, Imperial cub scout knives with broken blades. I have 2 of those full sized Case trappers, and they’re fine knives- hefty and very well made.
    Yep- good eye. Linen micarta. This was my first GEC, found it used on the auction site. I don’t understand why it’s not more popular~you just don’t see too many. Maybe too big? Seems perfect to me.

Yeah, I finished mowing in a light rain, then Dad and I sat and watched it pick up. Didn’t really live up to the hype that the weather readers predicted, though.

2. steelnut

steelnut Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    [​IMG]
    Great Eastern cutlery #66

3. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    [Edited to delete quote with offending pic.]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    cigarrodog, Jack Black and JohnDF like this.
  4. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Yes...and me too :D

Half/Stop and r8shell like this.
  5. Hibou Canne

Hibou Canne

Jan 7, 2016
    ok sorry

steelnut and JohnDF like this.
  6. Duckdog

Duckdog Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Thanks for your concern and advice, Ron. Luckily, I re-hydrated after I got the post and attached butterfly house in the ground, watered and packed solid.

[​IMG]

The post is plumb; the white oak behind it is not.

[​IMG]

Today was a day for character building. Whew!!

Speaking of characters. Well played, Jeff.
    - Stuart

7. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    What you have there Chris is a 1995 Case 6254 Trapper. Sunken pins were common in that era. The bone color was Case’s “standard” color of that era; a bit darker and more “Oatmeal” looking on the edges than today’s Amber Bone. I have some Stockman pattern from the same era that exhibit the same features and bone coloration. Nice find! OH

JD Bear, RDaneel, dc50 and 6 others like this.
  8. DelOro

DelOro Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Doctors love two things:

1) having you sit in the office all afternoon
    2) insurance

After a glowing physical, I found out my left arm is stronger than my right -- wonder why? :p

9. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Post was moved.

cigarrodog, Prester John and JohnDF like this.
  10. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Here are some of the knives I'll carry every day this week.
    Alox Knife for the week is a Vic Electrician (thanks, Greg):
    electrician.cane.closeup.jpg

non-Alox SAK of the Week is a Vic Camper:
    camper.open.jpg

Bailed non-SAK of the Week is a Colonial electrician's knife:
    colonial.tl29.sharper.jpg

Stockman of the Week is a Buck 371 (thanks, Randy):
    371.mark.closed.brick.jpg

- GT

11. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    That’s a great looking butterfly house Stuart! Is that construction some of your handy work?

12. Duckdog

Jul 26, 2012
    Thanks, Ron, but sadly, no (other than attaching the house to the post with two 3" wood screws). I did remove the "roof" and glued some tree bark pieces inside for the critters to crawl on and rest. I have built a couple of small decks and some deer hanging arches with lifting winches, but no houses, butterfly or otherwise.
    - Stuart

Cutfinger and Half/Stop like this.
  13. jacksterp

jacksterp Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Misplaced Hillbilly likes this.
  14. cjtamu

cjtamu Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Ha ha ha ha ha! So it is. I had the clip open when I glanced at it this morning and didn't see the "US" under the logo. Would like to pretend it's the first time I've made that mistake. Thanks for the info on the knife. You're dead on about the oatmeal color at the edges, I couldn't think of a good description for it this morning.

Thank you. There are more to come. It was something, we had a blast. The knives are just part of it, there were a lot of unique things to come home with. And we did!

@Duckdog , that butterfly house it awesome. Reminds me of a long version of a bluebird nesting house my grandfather designed about 40 years ago. We built thousands of those things for church youth groups, Boy Scouts, etc. Is it for the butterflies or the chrysalis? We have fritillary and swallowtail chrysalis and Kim is looking for a way to protect them.

15. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Fading light with Guardians Ebony:thumbsup:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. TheFactor

TheFactor Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2015
  17. Duckdog

Jul 26, 2012
    Thanks, Chris. I, too, put up a lot of bluebird houses in western Virginia while leading a Scout troop and with friends. And wood duck boxes. I put the butterfly box up in honor of the Virginia legislature recently adopting the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail butterfly (Papilio glaucus) as our state insect (it is, also, the state butterfly of AL, DE, GA, NC, and SC). We have others, though only an occasional Monarch. It is for the adults, but I assume I may get a chrysalis or two, as I've got it in the sunniest spot. We, also, have coneflower, asters, and hibiscus planted near the new house, as well as tulip poplar and black cherry in our backyard (neighbors have butterfly bushes, Buddleia davidii, nearby).
    - Stuart

18. JJ Cahill

JJ Cahill Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Thanks Jack! An outstanding "Double Stag" for you today!:thumbsup::thumbsup:;)
    Very cool pair you have today; can't go wrong with a Big Jack and a Whittler!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Thank you Rachel!!! You have quite a superlative pair of GEC's today; the 29 really is a great all around knife!:thumbsup::thumbsup::D
    Great shot of your lovely Sheffield lambfoot knives, Harvey!:thumbsup::thumbsup::)
    I'm a big fan of Keen Kutter knives and yours is a beauty Nick!:thumbsup::thumbsup:;)
    You've got your Barlow urge covered David; a regular and a supersize, super cool!!!:cool:
    Great work Stuart!!! It will make a wonderful shot when your new creation is all atwitter with critters!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    You can't go wrong there, Gary; great choices, as always!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::)

19. JJ Cahill

JJ Cahill Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2018
    For today's traditional totes I'll go with these two from Italy, both wearing wood for Wednesday. :D
    [​IMG]

20. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    It looks like a great pattern Rachel :) :thumbsup:

Couple of lovely oldies Harvey :thumbsup:

Looking good Taylor :thumbsup:

cigarrodog, tmd_87 and dc50 like this.