What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Jeff, you noticed correctly my friend! :thumbsup: In 2018 when Harry @Old Engineer and his lovely wife Nancy arrived at the hotel in Titusville where we were staying for the Rendezvous, Pam and I went down to the lobby to greet them. Harry surprised me with this wonderful handcrafted walking stick and a wooden Starrett micrometer box. As you stated previously the handle is constructed using an original old harness hame. The stick on my cane is made from a shovel that Harry bought and used when they built their home. Harry told me how old it was but I don’t remember exactly. I feel safe to say at least 30 years old. This definitely is one of my most cherished items. I felt extremely honored that Harry would take the many hours required to make this and then surprise me with it as a gift. It just goes to show you the caliber of people that are on the Porch. :thumbsup: :D

42220418820_7f7a84e853_b_d.jpg

Thanks Stuart! :) The #35 Churchill pattern is IMO one of the best from GEC in a long time. :thumbsup:

I’m totin this pair today. A Northfield SFO #54 Single Spear in Red Jigged Bone and my Rosewood Hartshead Lambsfoot Barlow. :) I hope y’all have a great weekend! :thumbsup: :D

48606089496_9df4d71bdf_b_d.jpg
Nice Big Jack! Well, both are superb, but I have a “thing” for big cigar jacks.

Sheepfoot Lambfoot

wj744Kt.jpg
It’s Camco Friday!
Inspired by a few folks here, I decided to slim down one of my Bullnoses, and I love it!! Will be carrying this the next few days, have a good weekend everyone!
gU7t9tm.jpg
No complaints about my Bullnose in Nifebrite, but that honey colored micarta knocks my socks off! How did you achieve that color after thinning it down?

Superb pair, Jeff! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Charming couple of Cases, Stuart! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: But the bark on that log is what really caught my eye - very "furry". :eek: What species is that??

- GT
Before Duckdog answers, I’m going to say white oak. We’ll see if he confirms!

Thanks for the compliment, Gary!

For Old Friends Friday, I'm totin' a pair that I can carry with me this afternoon when I get together with some buddies for what has become a weekly Liars Libation Lounge at a local watering hole to discuss cars, fishing/hunting, baseball (and ACC and NFL pre-season), and the foibles of all of those around us. Something old, something new-ish.

HckENcw.jpg

- Stuart

Here in our semi-cleanroom, these are the three I have with me today... the #82 Dixie Stockman (newly acquired in trade, thanks Blake) is riding in a cheapie Case trapper belt pouch, and the ramfoot is primary carry in front right pocket, with the SAK Soldier in front right cargo pocket. This is the Dixie's maiden voyage... it's almost too pretty to carry...... almost.

today%20carry_zps63alymze.jpg

Here in our semi-cleanroom, these are the three I have with me today... the #82 Dixie Stockman (newly acquired in trade, thanks Blake) is riding in a cheapie Case trapper belt pouch, and the ramfoot is primary carry in front right pocket, with the SAK Soldier in front right cargo pocket. This is the Dixie's maiden voyage... it's almost too pretty to carry...... almost.

today%20carry_zps63alymze.jpg
Yep. Almost ;). Put some mink oil on that Trapper pouch. Set it in the sun, or if you don't live in a place where the daily heat index is 105+, warm it with a blow dryer. Give it 20 minutes or so, wipe and buff, let it dry overnight. By tomorrow it will be a whole lot softer than it is now, and it will also be waterproof.

There is a season for all things

OOOOh such beauty !!!!! A sweet pairing indeed

Thank you for your wisdom and kind comment, Gev!

Good wood Forum knife, Dean! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I didn't think I'd like a 3-spring stockman, but the Case 6347 certainly works for me. ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

Thank you, Gary. Have you posted your 6347; I don't remember seeing it?

I always appreciate your noticing my knives, Dean. :)

Breathtaking brace of Cases, Dean! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

Thank you, Gary.

Yep. Almost ;). Put some mink oil on that Trapper pouch. Set it in the sun, or if you don't live in a place where the daily heat index is 105+, warm it with a blow dryer. Give it 20 minutes or so, wipe and buff, let it dry overnight. By tomorrow it will be a whole lot softer than it is now, and it will also be waterproof.
I live in north Texas... we actually had a cold front come through.. dropped the temps down a few notches..... we might actually cool down to the 105+ level if it this trend continues....:rolleyes:

I had thought of putting some leather dye and sheen on this one, just to see how it reacts to it. I play with leather a little bit, not enough to be very good, but that's what I've done to a couple of sheaths I've cobbled together....I've never seen any mink oil.... would neatsfoot do the same thing, I wonder, or is mink more magical?

Back