What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Cold, rainy day, glad I signed up for the Saltwater Sportsman Magazine fishing school in New Bern for today. Going to carry this "fishing knife" with me (well, it's been fishing!) Hopefully I will learn some great tips and tricks today. OH

GEC-661317-Calf-Roper-fishing.jpg

The 62 Easy Pocket top , is out and about again today. Shown here with its close relative the 13 Clerk, very different knives. The 62 really has astounded me in all ways, hope to get an SFO too but you can't bank on it ;) The word pocket-knife is entirely apt.

8DGrmqM.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 1275913

Beautiful Esky Zulu @Frailer ! That is the only pattern that I would like to add to my collection. However, I have not been able to even get close to getting one.

Old Hunter Old Hunter , sounds like you will have a great day! I really enjoy your hunting and fishing posts.

Thanks Gary W. Graley Gary W. Graley , This scrimshaw work was done by Linda Layden. She is very talented, and I thought the shape of the 78 would be a great platform for her art.

Last edited:
While I find the RR cotton sampler intriguing, that LF&C pen is gorgeous, GT.
- Stuart
Thanks, Stuart; that may be the oldest knife I have. :)

My favorite Jr scout pattern tote for Thursday; a Cattaraugus Whit-L-Craft with a liner lock, the 1906 patent also by them. :)
For Friday my totes are a couple from Camillus; a BSA Whittler from the 1960s and a BSA scout from the late 1940s. :)
A rapturous trio of vintage dark-jigged multiblades, JJ!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I’m carrying these two SFO’s today. A Sambar Hartshead Lambsfoot Barlow from @Jack Black and a Waynorth Jigged Bone Lambsfoot from Charlie @waynorth. :)
W:eek:W! SFO must stand for Sublime, Fantastic Ones, Ron! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Looking good Gary :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack. I assume you're speaking of my knives; if you were describing me, I think a visit to the optometrist is in order for you! :D:thumbsup::D

A couple of older schrades and a case that I got for christmas in my teenage years.

View attachment 1274806
Those knives are worthy of devotion, and it looks like the dog thinks the same about you! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just in case, so as not to be trapped into having the wrong knife on me, I’ve whittled it down to these two:
View attachment 1274813 View attachment 1274814
6254 from 1981 with an amusing Peabody Coal Co. etch, which always reminds me of that John Prine song, Paradise.

And a 6308 from ‘72. Hard to see, but the bone is slightly mismatched in color. Both are nice, and I can only look at one side at a time, so...
Handsome pair, Jeff! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I caught your whittler pun, but totally missed your trapper reference the first time because the blade etch sent my mind singing about Muhlenberg County and Mr. Peabody's coal train hauling it away! :rolleyes: I recently listened to Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi" and noted that her song and Prine's have essentially the same environmental theme, but their voices are SLIGHTLY different! :p

Joker Setter+Buck Squire,
Stag&Wood,
sSU9O8E.jpg
Couple of luxurious lockbacks! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Lots of blade variety in that pair, Dean, and the saddle horn's wood is gorgeous! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

5K Qs 5K Qs - Sharp looking Rough Rider, GT.
Thanks, as always, for your keen eye, your discerning taste, and your generous praise, Harvey. :) Your stag I*XL with the triple rattail bolsters is a work of art worthy of a Dutch master like Rembrandt! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Thankful for Throwback Thursday. The year was 1957 and this yellow black mouth cur stole America's hearts.

gIpxQA9.jpg

So today, I'm wearing my pockety pants so I can tote these "yellers", several of which were around when the movie was bringing us (some of us, that is) to tears.
From top: L.L. Bean Fisherman (Ka-Bar?), Queen #13 (switch pattern) 1958-1960, Imperial jack 1946-1956, and Case mini trapper 2018.
- Stuart
Your yellow quartet of knives is certainly much more cheerful than the ending of that movie, Stuart! :cool::thumbsup::cool: I remember an elementary school teacher reading us Old Yeller (among other fascinating stories) during "story time" as we were settling down after lunch-time recess.

Patina! You wanna talk about patina? Just give it some time. This one is from 1966:

HHXxyVr.jpg

BTW, Monroe Hardware was founded in 1886 by, among others, William Henry Belk (founder of Belk department store chain), with the first store in Monroe, N.C., opened in 1888. I got my knife from a buddy who was born and raised in Marshville, N.C., just to the east of Monroe. More on Monroe Hdwe: http://www.monroehardware.com/history

- Stuart
Very cool that you and @Hickory n steel have the same model advertising knife separated by almost a quarter-century! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Just got this fantastic little gem from @JaxBaron :D

So, I immediately put it in the rotation!

View attachment 1274993
Great grain!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

View attachment 1274996
My Leatherman that I usually carry is about petered, I decided to try a small pair of pliers and an sak. Ordered a small tinker yesterday but I pilfered my boys full sized tinker since he's in school during the week to begin the experiment. Also had the Douk Douk.
I sure like the looks of those Wart Hog /War Hawk SAKs, and I should get some little pliers to supplement the 4" adjustable wrench I've been carrying for several months. You've got a nice set-up! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

View attachment 1275016 View attachment 1275015

I love Throwback Thursday! @Duckdog
I am also enjoying all of the great Case knives everyone is totin’.
Killer Case canoe, LT! :cool::cool::thumbsup: How old is that one?

To those of you who tell us the name/brand of the knives you post pictures of, THANK YOU!
I always appreciate the pics with ID, too!! ;):cool::cool:

gA2laAF.jpg

Gotta give some pocket time to this wonderful African rosewood lambsfoot. A Jack Black SFO and gift from Taylor.
Laudable Lambsfoot, Vince! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

5K Qs 5K Qs - Your Imperial Sowbelly is an elegant, stylish charmer.
Thanks, Harvey; it's recently made, but reminds me of knives I used to see 60 years ago. :)

Dat's nice right there, GT.
Maybe we should get some kleenex and watch it together with some comforting beverages. Ironically, several years after that movie came out, my grandmother yelled to me to "get your Papa's shotgun and come here." I grabbed my grandfather's Stevens 12 gauge from the bedroom closet where he kept it, grabbed 2 shells, and followed her out the back screen door to the small backyard. There was a stumbling, yowling feral cat crossing their yard to the neighbors' where kids had been playing minutes earlier. She said," Shoot it," and I did. I cried in the movie and in that yard.
- Stuart
Thanks, Stuart :); I wish I'd have bought up as many Colt stag models as I could find back when they were available. :rolleyes: (Joni Mitchell again: "Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone.")

Elegant duo, sir! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Fab foursome Gary :thumbsup:
Hope everyone has had a good week :) Carrying my Hartshead Barlow, and Charlie's big Black Jack today :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack. :)
A superb pairing for you, and you sure got some superior photos of your HHB on that sun-bathed greenish branch! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Today with the French "Farol".;):thumbsup:

Your "Whale-shaped" knife is a favorite of mine, José! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Gary, that Otter convinced me to try one of theirs and I picked this one up.

Anyone know what kind of horse is on that coin in the center?
G2

ok....it's a QUARTER HORSE ;)
I've always admired those Ankermessers, Gary! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
And I fell for your horse question hook, line, and sinker! :eek::rolleyes::D

Thanks a lot GT, I share your pain regarding the updates my friend :thumbsup:
I seldom lose quotes inexplicably, but I usually lose them unpredictably. :( I can usually figure out WHY it happens, but almost never know WHEN.

- GT

Back