What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Today is a day for the Ventilator! Scourge of takeout coffee cup lids wherever they may lurk!

cWHYSpK.jpg

Watch Pocket Knife this week is a Colonial wireframe with clip/caplifter blade combo and "Formica" handle inlays (thanks, Dave):
colonial.caplifter.open.jpg

Big Knife this week is a Rough Rider fish knife that's perfect for picnics and BBQs; too bad they don't exist in Michigan in February (thanks, Mark):
fishknife&lilfriend.open.jpg

Miscellaneous Knife this week is a Case sawcut brown bone Barlow:
sawcutCV.mark.2open.shade.jpg

- GT

For me, a blade and an opener/screwdriver is an essential tool...but I do like a knife I can open with one hand. So after 3 or so years carrying a Beer Scout on a daily basis, I’m throwing this newly purchased pair in my pockets today (I wanted to join the two-knife club too). I figured out how to open the Russlock one handed pretty quickly though my thumb is paying the price this am:thumbsup:upload_2020-2-12_6-25-38.jpeg

That's a great-looking knife Alan :cool: :thumbsup:

Stay safe Ron :thumbsup:

Nice choice by the Gods of Fate Gev ;) :thumbsup:

Thanks Dean, I enjoyed carrying the Hongjie, and thankfully didn't get have any health embroidery issues ;) :D :thumbsup:

Fascinating post! :cool: Those Mikov knives look worthy of further exploration :) The pictures on the handles are very similar to the ones used by Richards of Sheffield, which were original designs, sometimes hand-painted, but they are slightly different. I'm guessing they were produced in the 1960's, in former Czechoslovakia, would that fit with when your father bought them? Fantastic that you have the knives from your boyhood too :cool: :thumbsup:

Those two look fab together Dylan :cool: :thumbsup:

Nice pairing Paul :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Harvey, good-looking Lambsfoot there my friend :thumbsup:

Nice pic Stuart :) :thumbsup:

Thank you very much JJ, it finally stopped raining this morning! Another great-looking pair there :) :thumbsup:

Morning folks, hard to compete with a 'Super Knife', but today I'm pairing my pocket-hogging Hartshead Barlow with a #44 Gunstock ;) :thumbsup:

EIZ12ch.jpg

Fkqeblv.jpg
Thank you Jack, speaking of well aged your Heartshead is aging wonderfully:cool::thumbsup:

I hope there's a break in the weather soon, Jack; flooding is so destructive! :(
Dandy duo of knives for you today! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: The Super Knife is interesting; what is the handle material, "never health embroidery"?? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the supportive comment, Jack. :)

Thanks Gary, apparently we have another (lesser) storm on the way o_O I think the scales are just anodized steel (no liners). Perhaps 'Never Health Embroidery' was badly translated from 'Oil The Joints'! :D :thumbsup:

We’re in the eye of the storm so to speak this morning. It’s actually not raining now. However, we have more heavy rain and possibly damaging wind later this evening. :( Your Stag Hartshead and Ebony #44 make an attractive and versatile pairing Jack! :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear that Ron, it's still windy here, but otherwise, it's been alternatively, rain, sun, and sleet, throughout the day o_O Hope you don't suffer any property damage. Thank you my friend :) :thumbsup:

I’ve paired two with wood and straight edges for today. I’ve got a #47 Tidioute Osage Orange Viper Wharncliffe and a Jack Black SFO Lambsfoot with Damascus and Ironwood. :)

48092449472_d5fb2c4637_o_d.jpg

Those two look good together Ron :thumbsup:

WCLF for Wooden Wednesday

I think I'll add the Hounds Tooth for Wharncliffe Wednesday

Very nice John :) :thumbsup:

Today, for both Wooden and Wharncliffe Wednesdays:
PjMvkBP.jpg

Nice piano keys Rachel :cool: :thumbsup:

Watch Pocket Knife this week is a Colonial wireframe with clip/caplifter blade combo and "Formica" handle inlays (thanks, Dave):
View attachment 1282435

Big Knife this week is a Rough Rider fish knife that's perfect for picnics and BBQs; too bad they don't exist in Michigan in February (thanks, Mark):
View attachment 1282440

Miscellaneous Knife this week is a Case sawcut brown bone Barlow:
View attachment 1282443

- GT

Very interesting group of knives there Gary :thumbsup:

Thank you Jack, speaking of well aged your Heartshead is aging wonderfully:cool::thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Paul, hope you're doing OK brother :) :thumbsup:

Who is the manufacturer? It appears to be exactly the same type of knife I used to carry as a preschooler. I found it in a drawer of my desk at my parents house. (Check out the elaborate lanyard I made for it at age of 6!)
1.jpg

2.jpg

When my father saw it after all those years, he bragged about having plenty of those in his workshop. I went to investigate. He didn't exaggerate. He does havequite a collection:
IMG-7104-JPG-big.jpg

I believe it is the very same motiff as yours on the far left.
3.jpg

4.jpg

These are made by Sandrik and Mikov.

I'd say go for it. The red, Victorinoxesque knife you see on the first picture in this post is the very knife I got from my dad for my 7th birthday. As you can see I used the heck of it. It has been withe on all my boy adventures, trips, camps (was in my pocket when I kissed a girl for the first time) etc. right until I was 20, when I finally was feeling comfortable putting forward the money to buy my first real Victorinox. And I still have it (yes, I did loose it about twice) and it is my most precious knife and would be last to go. How much cooler it would be if it were a GEC knife?
That's a couple of boxes of pure fun, brings back a lot of memories, most of us had those growing up.

Jack Black Jack Black ~
Got my quotes mixed up...
I meant to say that I like Herringbone Tweed almost as much as Sheffield cutlery when thinking of things from the Isles.
@JaxBaron ~ the nice redbone compliment was aimed at your Peanut.
@5K Qs~ thank you!

Jack Black Jack Black ~
Got my quotes mixed up...
I meant to say that I like Herringbone Tweed almost as much as Sheffield cutlery when thinking of things from the Isles.
@JaxBaron ~ the nice redbone compliment was aimed at your Peanut.
@5K Qs~ thank you!

Thanks Jeff, me too, I feel under-dressed if I leave home without my Harris tweed cap ;) I also like the 'flat-cap jigging' found on some old Sheffield knives :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack. I do like a black & white combo, and no actual unicorns were harmed. ;):thumbsup:

:D :thumbsup:

For me, a blade and an opener/screwdriver is an essential tool...but I do like a knife I can open with one hand. So after 3 or so years carrying a Beer Scout on a daily basis, I’m throwing this newly purchased pair in my pockets today (I wanted to join the two-knife club too). I figured out how to open the Russlock one handed pretty quickly though my thumb is paying the price this am:thumbsup:View attachment 1282455
your thumb will get used to the Russlock, they are great knives. I've been told that everyone needs a one handed knife and no matter how many modern flippers I have tried I keep coming back to the Russlock.

Back