What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

This is the knife I used to slice limes. Not needed for televised sports, but nice to have in hand.
x8XUWKZ.jpg

Showing off my Father’s Day present from my lovely wife, who actually gave me this 23 Pioneer Trapper a week ago. I didn’t carry the Bull Buster today as well; just for size comparison. Otherwise, my pants would’ve fallen down. Happy Father’s Day, everyone!

9XyJLTt.jpg

Hay’s up, time to pray for rain
vaC3P5I.jpg
Cool knife and photo! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: When I grew up on a Michigan dairy farm in the 1950s and 1960s, I remember we used to aim to get first cutting baled by July 4. By that standard, you're WAY ahead of the game. (Actually, by the time I graduated from high school in 1969, we had first cutting finished much earlier, as we baled less and put more "haylage" in silos.)

Been awhile! Some really nice blades on here lately so wanted to share. I couldn’t decide between these two so just carried them both.View attachment 1360909
Couple of beautiful chestnut jigged bone Cases, Shane! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Very nice bunch of Case Chestnut Jigged examples Gary! :)
Impressive selection of Case knives, Gary.:):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Excellent group shot my friend, nice to see the comparison :thumbsup:
Thanks, GT, and your Chestnut Cases look red hot.
Those are beautiful examples, GT.
Thank you, Gary! Beautiful chestnut jigged Case knives you have there. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. :) I'm grateful to Ron that one of those Cases came to me from him, and two others were also generous gifts from "pillars of The Porch" in my early days at BF. I should update my group shot to include a teardrop, a medium stockman, and a muskrat from that series that I've purchased since taking the old photo I recently posted.

No, Gary, the mini Blackhorn is 1/8 inch longer and has a long pull instead of a nail nick. It's just called a "lockback" in the Case catalogue. I think mine is a copy of a Gerber lockback I used to own. Got it for $12 at a feed store. Great little knives. Only carry now for trips to the beach or on a bike ride, though.
Thanks for the correction, Vince. :) I checked a Case dealer website and was amazed by the variety of little lockbacks they offer!
That French stag sheepsfoot by Thomachot you posted is distinctive!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Notable pair of desirable big knives! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Great foursome today Gary; I am so taken with your electrician that I had to grab an Alox of my own!:eek::D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks, JJ. Is your Alox a Farmer? What color is it? Makes a stunning pair with that Pocket Carver! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

I didn't know they did the farmer x . Which is a shame really as I was torn between the farmer and the Pioneer x . If I had known about the farmer x I would of preferred that that one . So thanks for that Gary that's another one to my list :rolleyes::) .
I'm adding it to my list, too! :):cool::cool:

Yowza, that cougar-clawed Churchill is a champ! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Happy Thursday Everybody
That's why I enjoy these cheap knives so much. First, it reminds me of watching the Lone Ranger on TV and Gene Autry at the movies. Also, these cheap knives are what I started buying when I was a kid because it was all I could afford. Great memories... Simpler times. :)
You're back in the saddle again with that pair, John! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Late posting today, as I went out early. Had my Hartshead Barlow with me today, and a Thrifty Thursday Joker :) :thumbsup:
Great pairing, Jack; that Joker is a joy-inducer! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Two of my favorites today. I have an affinity for white-handled knives and this old Remington scout is in fantastic condition.

That scout makes me wanna shout, Tom! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

You've done well by it, GT. It looks great.
Thanks, Stuart. :) It looks better than it actually is; youthful indiscretions have resulted in a bent backspring and a homemade bail in a buggered bolster. :rolleyes: Still a favorite though, and more fully-functional than I am. ;)

Throwback Thursday, right?

TkXPlmv.jpg

- Stuart
Cut thin to win with that pair, Stuart! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

I carried this Schrade Barlow on my hike today.

View attachment 1361318
For me, that's probably one of the most distinctive, recognizable knives on The Porch, Dean!! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Unforgettable photo, José! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

it’s a 1976 Schrade Walden 13 colonies SFO for Parker. Copper covers. Smells like a roll of pennies.

Thanks for the additional info, Jon. :) I'd have never guessed that it had copper covers; I'm fascinated by the all-metal folders! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Very elegant, GT.
Thanks, Harvey. :)

Thanks Gary; it's a great "one blade option!":D
Excellent foursome today; I always enjoy viewing your fantastic IXL canoe!:rolleyes::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Interesting quartet, particularly the Schrade-Wostenholm Canoe :) Colourful patina forming on that RR carbon steel :cool: :thumbsup:
Thanks, JJ & Jack. :) I won that stag I*XL canoe in a GAW and discovered when it arrived that the serial number on the bolster was my birthdate! :eek::thumbsup::cool:;)

Imperial Navy Utility and a Camillus #70 Cattle knife

je6GDVA.jpg
Thought I'd go for some "surf and turf" for Friday. :)
I have a rich fantasy life, and sometimes imagine that BF members show me a pair of knives and say, "Which ONE would you like more?" But I get paralyzed by pairs like Steve's and JJ's because I can't decide which member of the pair is more desirable in either case! :(:eek::D
Superb pairs, gents!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Morning folks, hope everyone is looking forward to the weekend :) Carrying a large ebony Lambsfoot today, and an Old Friend in the form of a Texas Jack :) :thumbsup:
Something for Black Friday and an Old Friend to pair with it.
Nice to meet your old friends, Jack & John! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I'm carrying a -1 bladed old Camillus today:
hV8SmUv.jpg
Dignified and dramatic!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

In keeping with my recent tradition of carrying a #73 and a Lambsfoot each day, I've got two old friends all dressed up in their best black suits. ;) They've no where to go but straight in my pocket! Y'all have a good one! :) :thumbsup:

40353335583_9f09bac97b_c.jpg
That's a good habit to have, Ron! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Well, today is off to a great start. I dropped this Case Ebony Mini-Trapper in my coffee not once but twice trying to get a picture. We both will survive somehow. :eek::p:p
:D:D
I've cut myself a couple of times when I dropped an open knife while setting up a photo and tried to catch it on the way down.:rolleyes:

- GT

Both girls were home today. They made me crepes for breakfast and then we took a mid day ride to Mt Rainier.
9955240-F-D8-C8-42-E8-8-FCA-B2181-EF9-DFA0.jpg

You can’t see it but there were 3 bears feeding in an avalanche shoot and a mountain goat in the cliffs above them.

2-F37-B131-79-C2-4638-BF1-F-6-E7-BF82-E66-D3.jpg

But this chocolate colored fella was a lot closer!!

B2-C24672-69-D9-4-F30-B5-A9-46-E4-C156-BCE6.jpg

Very handsome :) :thumbsup:

Happy Father's Day to all the dads, and Happy Summer Solstice too :) Have a great Sunday :thumbsup:

You can't have too much of a good thing ;) :thumbsup:

Pg6lr1b.jpg

2O3xomp.jpg
Thanks Jack!!! I didn't know it was now officially Summer, thanks for that, too!
That looks like an awesome book! You have a great "book worthy" pair that show 2 great Sheffield achievements, both past and present! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
JJ, Ron, & José: superb pairs of knives for last Wooden Wednesday! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Thank you for all the kind words today, Gary!!!
I haven't recently posted a photo of the quartet I always carry in addition to my knives that rotate weekly. Here are the Forever Four:
2019-8-edc-open-jpg.1363063
It's always great to see your wonderful quartet; the Euler's identity knife is also a real thing of beauty, too!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Many thanks, JJ. Nice lighting, especially on the metal. Sweet pair of Cases. They’re Aces!
Thank you very kindly, Harvey!!!
Mine started with a visit, and to pick up -a just out of the oven- raisin Sourdough loaf.
E37F9200-16A4-4FF2-8FE0-F5CCA6CFD061_zpsdurjhuvw.jpeg

And some cupcakes, also from the oven. Nothing says loving like fresh from the oven.
8f1423b4-ac7b-4d0a-a927-5699020dd339-jpeg.1363327

Christopher Johnson Western Works, Lamb Foot, pile side.
0D7C386C-3D91-43EF-BD39-E90093353E6D_zpskqutcnme.jpeg
Three very tasty treats for your Father's day; the first two made me hungry and the third, your CJ, just makes me drool!:eek::D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. :) I'm grateful to Ron that one of those Cases came to me from him, and two others were also generous gifts from "pillars of The Porch" in my early days at BF. I should update my group shot to include a teardrop, a medium stockman, and a muskrat from that series that I've purchased since taking the old photo I recently posted.

That's a good habit to have, Ron! :thumbsup::cool::cool:
Love seeing the variety in those Case Chestnut Jigged Bone knives. I’m glad you’re still enjoy that beautiful Sowbelly my friend! As always I appreciate the compliment on my carries! :) :thumbsup:

Thank you very much Ron . I hope that you had as good a Father's Day as I did .

Harry
Thanks, it was a good one my friend! :) :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jack. :)
He has given us quite a few winners.

He sure has John :) :thumbsup:

Thank you Jack! You too my friend! :)

Thanks buddy :)

This thread needs some Father’s Day meal photos. Of course, Traditionals only! ;) :D

50030216561_094572dcc8_o_d.jpg

Mmmmmm :) :thumbsup:

Thank you kindly, Jack.

Happy Father’s Day to you as well, Jack. Hope it’s a fine one. Cheers!

Many thanks Harvey :) :thumbsup:

Wishing you all a nice Father’s Day.

Mine started with a visit, and to pick up -a just out of the oven- raisin Sourdough loaf.
E37F9200-16A4-4FF2-8FE0-F5CCA6CFD061_zpsdurjhuvw.jpeg

And some cupcakes, also from the oven. Nothing says loving like fresh from the oven.
View attachment 1363327

Christopher Johnson Western Works, Lamb Foot, pile side.
0D7C386C-3D91-43EF-BD39-E90093353E6D_zpskqutcnme.jpeg

Fantastic photos my friend :) :thumbsup:

Great pairing, Jack; that Joker is a joy-inducer! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, JJ & Jack. :) I won that stag I*XL canoe in a GAW and discovered when it arrived that the serial number on the bolster was my birthdate! :eek::thumbsup::cool:;)

Nice to meet your old friends, Jack & John! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thank you for the kind words Gary, that's incredibly cool about your IXL Canoe, my former brother-in-law was there when those knives were made, some of the best knives made in Sheffield during that period :thumbsup:

Both girls were home today. They made me crepes for breakfast and then we took a mid day ride to Mt Rainier.
9955240-F-D8-C8-42-E8-8-FCA-B2181-EF9-DFA0.jpg

You can’t see it but there were 3 bears feeding in an avalanche shoot and a mountain goat in the cliffs above them.

2-F37-B131-79-C2-4638-BF1-F-6-E7-BF82-E66-D3.jpg

But this chocolate colored fella was a lot closer!!

B2-C24672-69-D9-4-F30-B5-A9-46-E4-C156-BCE6.jpg

What a great day :) Superb photos :thumbsup:

Emmer Knives small custom fixed blade

:cool: :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack!!! I didn't know it was now officially Summer, thanks for that, too!
That looks like an awesome book! You have a great "book worthy" pair that show 2 great Sheffield achievements, both past and present! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I really like these two pocket friendly jacks from Case and GEC. :)

Yes, the sun is even out in Yorkshire JJ ;) :D Thank you very much, that pair go together really well :) :thumbsup:

Hope everyone had a great weekend, and that your week gets off to a good start :) Starting mine off with this pair :) :thumbsup:

hJTAm6S.jpg

LFRl5ud.jpg

Back