What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

View attachment 1479093 View attachment 1479092 View attachment 1479096 View attachment 1479095

Thank you paulhilborn paulhilborn and @hornetguy To answer your questions about the scrimshaw, it is a super secret SFO done by GEC for Jack Sparrow. I have one of only three. The other two are owned by Will Turner and Captain Barbosa.

Seriously, I discovered a very good scrimshaw artist on Etsy named Lynda Layden. She usually uses imported bone knives, and I usually steer away from imported knives. I took a chance and sent her my 78, and she worked her magic. I can get lost looking at the scene she created. Of course, I do believe our @r8shell could have done just as nice a job!

I will tote these two through the holidays.

Last edited:
Near Miss: Yesterday I received a package from a good friend. During Christmas season we generally exchange wine or food. Well, in the package yesterday I found a bottle of wine. I sent him a text to thank him today, and he asks “did you see what else was in there“? Well, I hadn’t – I assumed the wine was the only item in the box. I went to my recycle where I had placed the packing box and in the bottom behind newspaper used as packing I found this:

bS8Z0lr.jpg

One day earlier and this would have been on its way to the recycling plant!:eek:
Whew !!!
Sweet !!

Coco

31847437414_2ea401b374_b.jpg

In the 39 years we’ve been married, there have only been a few Christmases that weren’t spent in the mayhem of extended families.

Despite missing that, I think this Christmas is going to be superb. Why, shoot! I even have cans of smoked oysters and sardines to open by the fireplace.
As @JonMcD so eloquently reminded me, it’s not hard to find happiness. Here’s hoping all you here on the porch find it!
Merry Christmas, and Happy Hanukah! View attachment 1478973This is a High Carbon 4 blade cattle knife, and a Primble Belknap Hardware serpentine jack. It’s really the only knife I have that I’m compelled to carry in a slip out of fear of damaging the Schrade peachseed.
The fixed blade is an Ideal Products (Solingen), which I think is a budget knock off of a Canadian Belt Knife.
Merry Christmas to you and your Family my friend .
These 2 again and a couple more days :

The Pandemic has not affected us as much as some but :
This is what was normal in 2018 :

This this year and Finances is not the reason :

We wish every one of you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Harry

Merry Christmas Barrett and pass along to your wonderful family as well. Similar temps here but hardly the snow (darn it)!!!:D actually I wouldn't have minded the snow as I have a new Husqvarna snow blower as of last year and only used it once so far:eek:;) heated grips, power steering, LED headlights, I mean what's not to like:p Hug little Eleanor for me from Mister Paul;):D

Thank you, Paul, and Merry Christmas to you and your family as well! :thumbsup: I wasn’t convinced that winter was coming at all, seems like we had temps in the 40s for half of December. I hope you get to use your new snowblower soon! :D I’ve been tempted to get one, but we have a small driveway (with two vehicles parked in it) so I’m afraid it might be more of a hassle than it’s worth. Eleanor said, “MERRY CHRISTMAS MR. PAUL!!” :) :D She and I are about to brave the cold to take some “Mamaw cookies” (my grandma’s recipe) to a few of the neighbors.

Perfect timing for snow!
50f yesterday, 10f today, but only teasing little flurries.
Nice of you to help the neighbor lady:thumbsup:

That’s about what the temps did here, Jeff. Upper-30s yesterday morning, then it dropped fast as the snow started.

I’m always happy for an excuse to put the truck in 4WD. :D (And more than happy to help out a neighbor, of course.)

That looks great... Merry Christmas.

A knife I still wish I hadn't sold.

Thanks, John. Merry Christmas! :thumbsup:

It is a good one, isn’t it? I wish I’d gotten another (I kicked myself for not going for the natural canvas Micarta, which I thought looked particularly nice on that pattern).

Harry

Merry Christmas, Harry! I hope you have a good one, even though it won’t be quite the same as normal. We were supposed to travel to Arkansas to have Christmas with family, but changed our plans to be safe. It’ll just be me and my wife and the girls here at home, but I’m still looking forward to it.

Thanks a lot, Jack!!!

The coolest US made lambsfoot, an awesome tote; if you grab only one slicer, that's a mighty sweet one!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Charlie and GEC did a great job :) :thumbsup:

Toting a couple wood covered slicers from GEC, orange osage and ebony. :)

Wonderful Wooden Wednesday choices there my friend :) :thumbsup:

Nice Gev :cool: :thumbsup:

In the darkroom today.
bBYtrFg.jpg

Cool pic Dave :) :thumbsup:

Splendid photos of your BF Bucks, Dave & Will! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for the confirmation and the Lambshark compliment, José. :)

Thanks for the additional information about the beautiful wood. :)

You're in Beast Mode, John! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack. :)
I certainly hope there's soon significant improvement in your back. :(
Couple of unusual carries! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Looks like you're cleaving to that cleaver! ;) (That sent me down a rabbit hole of a word that has 2 opposite meanings, and conflated etymologies, and chaotic tenses - cleaved, cloven, cleft, clove. :eek:)

Notable stag pair, José! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Certainly no need to feel blue about that one, Dean! :cool::cool:;)

That's a real beauty, Dean! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
Do you have a stunning white knife to complete a "flag trio"?

Sounds like a good plan, Taylor! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Thanks, Dylan. :)

I certainly enjoy seeing your Portuguese knives, José! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Good point, John; thanks for spreading some Christmas cheer my way! :):cool::cool:

That's a notable matched pair, John! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Glad your Christmas get-together was successful! :)

Feather and Flame! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Somehow all 8 days of Hannukah slipped by without my wishing you a good one, Rachel. :( I hope you successfully cradled your dreidel and could go for the Gimel! :)

Yikes! :eek:
Whenever someone asks me, "Can I borrow your crowbar?" and I reply, "I don't have one with me", I get suspicious when they follow up with, "OK; can I borrow your knife?" :rolleyes:

Capital canoe! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: One spring or two?

Not one of your "famous" golden brown bone pairs, but a fascinating couple of knives, nonetheless! :cool::cool::thumbsup: That Case EZ 49 is quite "grailish"!

I'm enjoying your recent Christmas photos! :thumbsup::cool::cool: Who makes that cool sowbelly?

Outstanding jigging on that one, JJ! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Very appropriate memorial, Harry. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well-said, Jeff. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks, John. :)

Thanks for the confirmation. :)
I hope to be led beside still waters and have my soul restored! ;):thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack. :)

- GT

Thanks a lot Gary :) I am indeed cleaving to the cleaver! :D That's food for thought there amigo :) :thumbsup:

Ace pic Bill :) :thumbsup:

I put on my warm gloves to shovel the driveway this morning. :D

Gz33M74.jpg

I wasn’t sure we were going to get any snow for Christmas. A couple days ago the forecast was a 40% chance for 1” to 3”. It ended up snowing all day yesterday. Hard to say how much, as the wind was blowing it all over the place, but it’s more than 1” to 3”. I had to head out in the truck yesterday to pick up a neighbor who couldn’t get her car up the hill, and it was near whiteout conditions. Thankfully the visibility’s better today.

Ege6Hla.jpg

I’ve got this one with me today.

CydEra7.jpg

Hope you have a great Christmas Barrett :) :thumbsup:

Harry

Been a hard year, but I hope you have a very Happy Christmas Harry :thumbsup:

Still having to post from my phone I'm afraid, which is a bit of a struggle for me :rolleyes: Had a nice day today though :) Wishing everyone the very best Christmas you can have, and here's hoping for a much happier 2021 :) :thumbsup:

IMG_20201224_183421253.jpg

Day 4 of Forum knives. This was a pretty interesting knife that we designed. I don't think I won one vote when we were designing this LOL. I really wanted to go with some covers that had their own uniqueness individual to each knife. But man, this thing turned out great and it really has grown on me! The covers are dark and rich and have a ton of character on their own. Another home run!
PXL_20201224_192826689.MP.jpg

Thank you, Paul, and Merry Christmas to you and your family as well! :thumbsup: I wasn’t convinced that winter was coming at all, seems like we had temps in the 40s for half of December. I hope you get to use your new snowblower soon! :D I’ve been tempted to get one, but we have a small driveway (with two vehicles parked in it) so I’m afraid it might be more of a hassle than it’s worth. Eleanor said, “MERRY CHRISTMAS MR. PAUL!!” :) :D She and I are about to brave the cold to take some “Mamaw cookies” (my grandma’s recipe) to a few of the neighbors.

That’s about what the temps did here, Jeff. Upper-30s yesterday morning, then it dropped fast as the snow started.

I’m always happy for an excuse to put the truck in 4WD. :D (And more than happy to help out a neighbor, of course.)

Thanks, John. Merry Christmas! :thumbsup:

It is a good one, isn’t it? I wish I’d gotten another (I kicked myself for not going for the natural canvas Micarta, which I thought looked particularly nice on that pattern).

Merry Christmas, Harry! I hope you have a good one, even though it won’t be quite the same as normal. We were supposed to travel to Arkansas to have Christmas with family, but changed our plans to be safe. It’ll just be me and my wife and the girls here at home, but I’m still looking forward to it.
Thank you very much Barrett !!! Stay safe young man . Give your Girls some X-Tra Long Hugs on Christmas . We will only get to see 1 of the 10 Great Grands this year , but I can understand the decisions that the young folks have to make . Have a Very Merry Christmas with your Family my friend .

Harry

Day 4 of Forum knives. This was a pretty interesting knife that we designed. I don't think I won one vote when we were designing this LOL. I really wanted to go with some covers that had their own uniqueness individual to each knife. But man, this thing turned out great and it really has grown on me! The covers are dark and rich and have a ton of character on their own. Another home run!
View attachment 1479180
I have to agree with you Taylor . The 2019 Forums Knife ia an Outstanding knife . It looks very classy when closed and I prefer a Sheepfoot blade as a user .

Harry

Back