What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

EwVEXES.jpg

All this fishing talk has me thinking about going out and knocking a hole in the ice somewhere. On second thought, nah. I'll just daydream about nice fat browns rising to a hatch, and being in the right spot at the right time!
Have a good one!
imcNwD3.jpg

Last edited:
I carry an Electrician in my bag everyday, but very rarely photograph it. It's a great EDC I think :thumbsup:

Nice to see that Ring-Opener Gary, maybe I'll carry one for Metal Monday next week :) :thumbsup:
Seems to me that many Vic Electricians have been posted recently; a knife that's hard to resist! ;):thumbsup:
That I was carrying the ring-opener the same week someone posted a hockey skate and you then posted a pic of the John Watts buildings was an interesting coincidence to me, Jack! :eek::D:cool:

Forgot to post my carry! :D A couple of Old Friends :) :thumbsup:

LggGvmh.jpg

aAT4sVL.jpg
Happy to meet a couple more of your Old Friends! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: I didn't remember that you had one of the fine stag Forum knives.

Thanks. :)
I think it's just a question of angle.
The one underneath is a simple horn-handled lambfoot from A. Wright.
The other is less common, it is a higonokami with an elm burr handle created by Julien Maria. (cutlery craftsman from the south of France). https://www.instagram.com/couteliermaria/
Thank you, Gary. I think they are old secretaries!!!:):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for the helpful info, @Corto_Malt and José. :)

Destined For Duty :cool:

This turned up yesterday after a lengthy wait and I'm more than pleased as it's a favourite CASE pattern of mine. Since CASE has embargoed their official sellers from selling abroad it's become very difficult for me to get hold of them. :mad: I reached out to an esteemed Forum member and asked Bruce if he could get hold of one for me, which he very kindly did. Moreover, he included a gift as well :cool: but more of that in another thread;) Just great all round this knife, the Amber Bone is beautiful and after a wash&brush up it's a very snappy item! some people like to knock CASE or have had bad experiences, I don't share that, always ben pleased with them: a reasonable Traditional at a reasonable price.

Thanks, Will

Y3OOjRR.jpg
Congrats on the Case amber bone medium stockman, Will, and accolades to Bruce for his assistance! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Haha. Thanks. I'm sure your electrician knows you care! The pic you posted of it today is pretty good.

I knew those covers reminded me of something! I don't know the brand. The only markings I can see is what I assume is a model number (something like 67k if I remember correctly) and Germany.
Thanks for the photo encouragement and for follow-up info on your grandfather's knife. :)

In general, micarta doesn't appeal to me (maybe I'm too old) but denim micarta is an exception! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Is the knife resting on the "hen and chicks" plant that often appears in your pics? I had no idea that they eventually turned purple like that!:eek: I thought they just disappeared under the snow and resprouted in the spring. :rolleyes:

Thank you, Gary. I've had it with this season in general. I've been shoveling more than I want to. :eek::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Must be Electrician week, Gary. :thumbsup: Jack sent you a cool :cool: ring opener; great guy. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Jack is that, isn't he? :):thumbsup::thumbsup:
I wish shoveling were like lawn mowing, which you can limit to once a week without dire consequences. :(

Charlies HJ-10 in ebony and a Klaas whittler in stag today.
View attachment 1512167
Fine pair of knives, Greg, and an impressive bowlful of other edged tools! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Did you make all those arrowheads? I doubt if I could even draw one that nicely on paper, let alone shape one from stone!

Morning all. Enjoying getting to know this Copperhead that arrived on Tuesday :)

THIruYK.jpg
Cool Case copperheads, Mike & Mike; congrats! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
I like the pocket watch, too. I had an annual physical exam a couple of weeks ago, and part of it involved checking the mental capabilities of a geezer like me. They gave me a paper with a circle on it, and instructed me to make a clock face, including all the numbers and hands. I thought about using Roman numerals, but the nurse didn't seem very cheerful, so I just went with 1-12 instead of I-XII. :rolleyes:

#23 Trapper and a Coast Cutco Stockman

JkFyeqY.jpg
That stockman is a showstopper, Steve! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Splendid photo, Jon! :cool::thumbsup::cool: (Even though I'm not a big fan of saber grinds. :rolleyes:)

Leaving in about an hour and a half to get our second COVID-19 vaccination shot and then on to the Brass Rail Restaurant for Ravioli after which we'll go to the Holiday Market for groceries and then pick up dog food at the Vet. This Case Single Blade CV Sowbelly and the Case CV Sodbuster Jr. should be capable for this trip to town.

pGh7waN.jpg
Sunny pair of knives for what sounds like an enjoyable trip to town! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Congrats on the vaccinations, ED!

ySR2mrs.jpg

I had to get that Barlow back in my watch pocket.
Quite an assortment in your quintet, Jer! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Toting these two today; a BB Winchester Sowbelly and a thrifty Imperial toothpick from the 50s. :)
Notable pair, JJ! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Maybe when the weather gets nicer, you'll take me for a spin in your time machine to pick up some of the pristine oldies you always find! :D:cool:

Today.

fxzbh3A.jpg
That model is probably my favorite of all the lockbacks I have! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Is that some kind of belt/pocketedge hanger on the bail?

Way behind again! We’re at The Domes in Milwaukee. My favorite is the desert dome. The tropical dome was very nice, especially to see all of the spices. Interesting to see where they come from, what the plants look like, and how the trade for them changed the world.
As a treat for y’all who are tired of endless cold, I present Steve, the Bearded Dragon, and a cool little cactus.View attachment 1512365 View attachment 1512366
Thanks for the tropical pics, Jeff, including the Schrade that can raise the temp a few degrees! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

This will do nicely...
mR0H3G0l.jpg
Congrats on the tortoise shell! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Did you shave all those curls straight from the tube, or did you work your own magic on the edge first?

There were a few Vic electricians posted today that inspired me to swap out my stockman when I got home from work.
TC8zMVf.jpg
That pic really shows off the highly-coveted edges you've put on your Electrician! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup: Do you keep the chisel grind on the sheepsfoot?

Thanks for the compliment, and the new word!
You're welcome, Mike. ;) I remember learning that word in connection with a high school Latin class over 50 years ago. (On the other hand, I thought I learned a cool new word last week, and now have no idea what it was. :(:mad:)

Couple of dependable workhorse knives, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Not sure yet. :)
I went ahead and did the mod that makes it my preferred setup;

wp-1613718088771.jpg

Now I just need some time to carry it and see.

So, yeah. Its a great knife, but for how I really like the concept, ask me again in a couple months. :-D
Thanks for the detailed, informative reply, sir!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

Beautiful knife and reel!
I always felt a single blade 86 would be a great carry. My 86 is just a bit bulky to carry regularly.
Thanks! Click and Pawl reels, fiberglass rods, and traditional knives, match made in heaven!

Very cool!
Thanks! I’m as excited as when I get a new knife!

I really like you blade delete on that. I like your reel, super nice. I always spend big on the rod and then cheap out on the reel. :confused:
Thanks John, it’s a whole new experience, always felt a hot spot on my middle finger from the secondary blade. The rod and reel outfit took two seasons to come together, one for the rod and one for the reel. Couldn’t afford them all at once!:D

Last edited:
Congrats on the tortoise shell! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Did you shave all those curls straight from the tube, or did you work your own magic on the edge first?

Thanks—really loving this knife. The size suits my hands. As for the edge, I’m the second owner, but it seemed unused. The edge seemed serviceable upon inspection, but I decided to touch it up on a Spyderco “double stuff” stone. After that, it would whisper cleanly through receipt paper. I’ll eventually use a fine diamond stone, then finish with a ceramic one, but for now it’s good. With curls like that it’s a combination of a fine edge, the right geometry, and a little technique.

Last edited:
:cool:
Splendid photo, Jon! :cool::thumbsup::cool: (Even though I'm not a big fan of saber grinds. :rolleyes:)
- GT

Oh come on Gary! Saber grinds are great! They are perfect for spreading all sorts of the finest delectables. Butter, peanut butter, apple butter, almond butter, sour cream, cheese whiz, brie, caramel, salted caramel, etc.

As a good southern man, I enjoy a good buttermilk biscuit. The saber grind is quite efficient for the spreading of grape, strawberry, blackberry, fig, apple, apricot, and muscadine jellies. However you may want something a bit thinner behind the edge to get good separation on your biscuit hemispheres.

The Trestle Pine is of course one of the finest spreading saber grinds out there but nothing quite spreads like a Northwoods. I suggest anyone that hasn’t experienced the spreading power of a saber grind with the heat treat scale still intact, flock to eBay with a five hundred dollar bill ready to burn ASAP. :cool:;):)

Thanks as always for your kind words GT!!!

Back