What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

This came yesterday... had to sand the heel of the pen's tang due to the tip being ever so proud, and had to reprofile the edges, but now it's good to go. I've always wanted a whaler/ sunfish/ elephant toenail, but as beautiful as they are, the GEC Whaler's pen blade made the knife too uncomfortable to hold when whittling/ wood carving, etc., with the main blade. I'd love a single blade Whaler, but those are as elusive as a white whale. This one's penn blade sits low enough not to be a pain. I also took 1500 grit sandpaper to the spine of the pen to soften it's otherwise acute (though dull) apex. Have a great Sunday!

WcsTcmal.jpg

etPldvul.jpg

gjm946Tl.jpg

View attachment 1518136 View attachment 1518131 View attachment 1518132 View attachment 1518133

I am a big fan of Jess Horn knives. Given his knife making fame, I always wondered why it was hard to find much personal information about Jess, and almost impossible to locate a photograph. I recently had a nice long conversation with someone who knew him well. He sent me a photo of Jess, the only one I have ever seen. It turns out Jess was quiet and avoided attention.

He might not have been outgoing, but Jess made a hell of a knife. They speak for themselves! My favorite patterns are the ones designed by Bob Loveless and Jess Horn. This sambar stag “Small Horn Pattern” is an example of one of those. Loveless wanted to sell Horn folders thorough his shop to his customers looking for folders in addition to his fixed blades. The two legends collaborated on several patterns. It is easy to see the Loveless inspiration in several of the patterns Jess made. The opposite is also true, Jess obviously influenced some of the Loveless patterns such as the Stiff Horn which was apparently named after Jess.

My friend also told me that Jess made almost all locking knives and did not make many slip joints. I was happy to find this rare Horn slip joint in used condition, because I plan to carry it often and use it a lot! The knife is an early one, made in the 1970’s, and the stag has aged nicely over the decades.

Have a Blessed Sunday everyone!

Thank you @Mitch Will , it took a while but finally made it to Louisiana!

Last edited:
You're on top of the world with that pair of lambsfoot knives, José! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Here’s some fun for “black” and “friendly” Friday. Hope you all have a great evening. It’s time for a drink with my lovely wife!:D
View attachment 1516894
Top-notch knife positioning in your photo! :D:thumbsup::D

This arrived last nite and I’m over the moon with it. A 50s strawberry-bone Robeson.
They are one of my vintage favourites, and this one is the cleanest example I have. It really feels like a time warp holding it. In the pic below, it’s actually melting the ice on a barrel.
View attachment 1516901
Congrats on taking possession of that aged but top drawer Robeson! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

The work day/week is done, switching back to the Albers for the weekend.
My son's birthday today, I'll be taking him out for some delicious fish tacos later.
I hope the celebration and fish tacos were tip-top, John! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It has been a while since I carried these two Stag 73's together . Old pics

Harry
Top shelf popcorn stag twins, Harry! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

The Clam Chowder is progressing nicely.:thumbsup: Should be ready in about an hour/hour and a half.:)

b0otOdUp_t.jpg

No pants Gary:eek: Peregrin Peregrin - just elastic waisted shorts. That way I won't have to loosen my belt after dinner.:)
ED, looks like it would be tough to top that chowder no matter what you're wearing! :cool::cool:;) Anchors aweigh!

I suppose Big Foot is near the top of the food chain! :cool::cool::thumbsup: I heard a hilarious Sasquatch story on a radio program my wife listened to yesterday. :D

That one looks too new and shiny... needs more pocket time. ;)
Thank you, Gary. (That's the closest I'll get to dignified :D) By the way, your Red Cadet is really red! :cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for the comments on my Cadet, John & Dean. :) Pocket time has to be allocated in an equitable manner for all my Alox SAKs, John; I can't just play favorites! :eek::rolleyes:
(Many of my pics are taken when a knife is new, and sometimes I rarely take more recent photos, so the pics I post often don't represent the current condition of a knife very accurately.)

Picked this one up from overseas. I like it alot. Pretty stiff and no blade wobble(play). I like the imperfections and rustic look of the knife. Could very well make it into the rotation.
8IyQgNj.jpg
Looks like you came out on top with that purchase! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

RF 93 and a Case Barehead Jack

FLrH9V0.jpg
Your top of the post (or stump) shots are really nice, Steve! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

The #66 frame is very versatile, of course the Jack is my favorite way they use it.
I've never actually handled any version of the #66, but from the photos, I might prefer the Calf Roper Slim with the 2-blade pen configuration. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Here is a little stag for Saturday.
Case was on top of their game with that stag Barlow, Les! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks Gary, I was happy that I didn't have to pay a Premium for it ! ;)
:):thumbsup:

Nothing to do today, but to enjoy having nothing to do :) Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

K9dYOif.jpg
Wow, Mike, that knife deserves top billing! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks, Gary! I prefer having the story, too.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

54 Big Jack, and Wenger Handyman.

View attachment 1517454
Now have a great Saturday...
View attachment 1517465
You must feel like top dog with that pair in your pockets, Jeff! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

I've got these two from Schatt & Morgan with me today. :)
Top of the line choices, JJ! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks GT, I’ve missed you all something fierce :).

Spring cleaning today and carrying these two.

You're always in top form with your scout/fixed blade pairing, Tom! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Top shot, Tom! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I like how you're able to focus on the knife in the foreground and still avoid blurry background. (I have no clue how to do that. :rolleyes:)

For Stag Saturday, I'm carrying my Case stag medium stockman.

View attachment 1517703
Your stag medium stockman is top banana, Dean! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Top Osage Orange twins, Taylor! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

One of my Lambsfoot SFOs in Damascus and Sambar and a fancy slippie by Jose Antonio Herreros :thumbsup:

5REcDt1.jpg

4sy9Xwv.jpg
Your double stags rise to the top, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

for the day, a pony stockman
View attachment 1518024
and a great day to all.
Deluxe, indeed! :cool::thumbsup::cool: And top of the morning to you, too! :)

For the past three days, Buck 303 Cadet. OH
Buck-303-Cadet-Camillus.jpg
Gotta be near the top of the heap of medium stock knives! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Great pic, Bruce!

Sadly, I learned from Geoff Tweedale, that Stan Shaw passed away on Friday :( I thought I'd switch out my Damascus Lambsfoot for the Lambsfoot Stan made me a few years back. RIP Stan :thumbsup:
Sorry to hear that sad news, Jack. Condolences to you and his other friends and family as you remember his long and remarkable life.

:oops::oops:
It makes it easy when you have a 50 year old cat 966 ;)
:thumbsup::)

Top ic of HHB hitting the bricks, Bill! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

This Klaas #1442, 3-1/2", Kissing Cranes whittler arrived yesterday and into the pocket today. Pairing with a Schatt & Morgan Heritage Series Jack in ebony. Have a relaxing Sunday, all.:)
View attachment 1518046
Congrats on the top-flight Kissing Cranes whittler, Greg! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

This came yesterday... had to sand the heel of the pen's tang due to the tip being ever so proud, and had to reprofile the edges, but now it's good to go. I've always wanted a whaler/ sunfish/ elephant toenail, but as beautiful as they are, the GEC Whaler's pen blade made the knife too uncomfortable to hold when whittling/ wood carving, etc., with the main blade. I'd love a single blade Whaler, but those are as elusive as a white whale. This one's penn blade sits low enough not to be a pain. I also took 1500 grit sandpaper to the spine of the pen to soften it's otherwise acute (though dull) apex. Have a great Sunday!

WcsTcmal.jpg
Congrats on the big new folder, Tony! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Whether you got an incredible deal or paid top dollar, sounds like you're very happy with it!

- GT

Back