What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

For the coming week, standard Alox Cadet on the key ring and changing to the Boker Barlow in Grenadilla with Buck 113 for any heavier cutting. Raw Brass Fisher Bullet space pen just because I like brass. I need a real light box and better control over reflections, and much better staging.
original.jpg
That’s a great picture !:thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Gary, it is wood on the RR, think it's grenadilla :thumbsup:
Thanks for the info about the wood on your RR lockback, Jack. :)

View attachment 1542717 Back in the olden days, we did not have computers. The internet was something you’d only hear about if you were fishing with a Swede, as in, “Ayup, tere’s sumptin in ter net, coz it be heavy”.
The hardware store carried Camillus, Schrade, Case, Buck, Imperial, Sabre, and Colonial knives, usually in rotating counter displays. Well, now that I think about it, I think the Imperials, Sabres, and Colonials were displayed in cheap, flat cardboard cutout displays.
The stores did not carry weird foreign knives, (except for the Made In Japan Sabres), so if one wanted a Swiss Army Knife, or an Opinel, it had to be mail order. If you looked in the back of Outdoor Life, Field&Stream, and Sports Afield, you would find little advertisements for specialty fishing, archery, camping, and backpacking specialty mail order houses inviting you to send for their free catalog. And let me tell you, those catalogs were filled with the stuff of dreams.
And that, boys and girls, is how I came to possess this Opinel no.8 in carbone.
Not my first, but in among my first few pocket knives.
Good story, Jeff! :thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

Thanks Gary, the 72 was originally called the Carpenters Whittler by Camillus
Yeah, I've seen that before, Steve, and always found the name a little odd. :rolleyes:

Today for Black Friday... Black Alox Cadet and Charlie Lamb.
That's a dandy dark duo for Black Friday, John! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for the complimentary comment!:)
:D Cool and clever continuation! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

View attachment 1542758 Went with my first love today
I'm not really a Cardinals fan, but that slip is gorgeous!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Sowbelly in black micarta. It ends up in my pocket nearly all the time lately.
View attachment 1542762
I like almost any sowbelly stockman I see, and yours is certainly no exception! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

View attachment 1542806 View attachment 1542807 View attachment 1542810 View attachment 1542808 View attachment 1542809
Tony liked to see jigging extend all the way to the edges of the handle as far as possible. The last few photos show a jigged bone Saddlehorn he made for me. He explained that he shaped the handle before he did the jigging so the pattern would not be ground off during the finishing process.
I enjoyed reading your informative and well-illustrated post, LT! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

I can mark the 2013 forum knife off my list! Carrying it today in celebration. Happy Friday!

sN5QMgo.jpg
Congrats on scoring another BF knife for your collection! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

What?! It's Friday already? Weeks go by like days used to now that I'm retired. Thank you, Gary. Regarding Teadrops, I have three 2-bladed and 8 with one blade. I need to cycle a few more of these into my daily carry.
I know I've been very busy and working hard this week, but I'm not sure I could tell you exactly what I got done! :eek::( Thanks for the Teardrop Jack info, Dean; that's more than I would have guessed, although I was quite sure you had a bunch! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
"Too many teardrops for one heart to be crying." ;)

Going with these two slicers today; a kind of "surf and turf" combo. :)
I see what you did there, JJ! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

fet7Yue.jpg

(and Vic Cadet)
I came to BF thinking there were lots of colors of knives that I didn't really care for, but as folks show some of their knives, I find out that I really do like blue knives, and red knives, and green knives ... :rolleyes:

Breaking in my new slip today! Love the tooling John does...View attachment 1543060
Couple of classic beauties right there! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Haven't seen a Casio like that in a while.
It's actually not a very old watch (maybe 5 years old) but is basically the same $10-12 model I've been wearing for at least 40 years, I'd guess. I think it's my third one in that time.

Boker ‘Whiskey’ Barlow, with oak from old whiskey casks. My favourite Boker.

50988705241_f31db73ed8_k.jpg
That's a cool Barlow! :cool::cool::thumbsup: I have a Böker Beer Barrel canoe, and would like to get a Beer Barrel whittler someday, but it will have to be on the secondary market now.

Thanks, Gary. Hope you have a warm and pleasurable weekend my friend.:)
GEC #38 Special along with a Boker Magnum scout/camp knife. The Boker handles are what they market as black rosewood (I think), dark black and nearly ebony looking to my eye. Anyway, qualifies for Black Friday carry easily.:)
View attachment 1543271
Same to you, Greg! :) Saturday was still quite warm, but we got a hailstorm about 4:30pm that beat up a lot of our flowers. :( Today was cloudy and cool, but I had a nice 7-mile walk. Your Magnum scout looks quite nice! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

I bought one of those for a friend's lad Gary, he was very pleased with both cards and knife! :) Nice-looking Colt Canoe too amigo :) :thumbsup:
Thanks, for the info, Jack. :) I wonder if a blade is still a sheepsfoot if it has a "scalloped" edge like on that 89OT.

A wonderful Stag Canoe. :cool::thumbsup:

Love the cards and a great way to spur on the sales. :cool::thumbsup:
I appreciate your comments, John. :)

Shunkle and Dunkel together again! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Stellar examples Jeff:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I see what you did there, Gus; good one! :p:thumbsup:

Starting to sprinkle here, rain is on the way. Going brewery hunting again today, little rain won’t stop us! Will be carrying my new J Adams lambfoot. Thanks for the recommendation Jack!:thumbsup:
View attachment 1543512
Congrats on the handsome new lambsfoot, Todd! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Stag for Saturday... Randall's RKS #3
XNvmGlrl.jpg
So THAT'S why some of you want those big old fixed blades! :thumbsup::thumbsup::) Gotta admit I like me some muskmelon!

Gorgeous stag on your Colt Canoe, Gary. :thumbsup:
I'm carrying this Case Mini Copperhead for Stagurday.

View attachment 1543594
Thanks for the stag canoe comment, Dean. :)
Your mini copperhead is sensational! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Beautiful bocote on your BF knife, Mike! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

My 2019 Guardians Lambsfoot SFO, and a #66 Stockman gifted to me by @Campbellclanman :) :thumbsup:

YO4KyJK.jpg

jn8ytk2.jpg
Very classy choices, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Heading to the woods for several days of turkey hunting, carrying the Case 3318 in my pocket, a Buck 110 on my hip, and a Buck 121 just in case I get to breast a wild turkey. OH
Case_3318_HE_-_1980_Yellow_Delrin.jpg
Hope you bag a bird, Bruce! ;):cool::cool: If you get tired of hunting without finding, every week or two I walk down a block of Eliot Street and almost invariably have a run-in with an aggressive, territorial tom on the sidewalk! :rolleyes: (I think he lives in a wooded ravine behind the houses on the south side of the street.)

Today’s light carry, Camillus 21:D
View attachment 1544107
a peaceful Sunday to all:):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Cool saber-ground peanut, Gus! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

- GT

If anyone has been filling out a line-up card for my carries this week and is wondering which knife I have batting in the Big Knife position, it's a Rough Rider yellow synthetic carbon steel folding hunter:
hunter.mark.2open.standing.jpg

Miscellaneous Knife since last Monday has been this stripped-down Imperial USA jack that I call the Silver Bullet (thanks, Dave):
silverbullet.mark.Vstand.arbor.jpg

- GT

Ace pics Dan :) :thumbsup:

Gracias Jack !
:)

Nice HHB :thumbsup::)

:cool: :thumbsup: cool Alain :)

Out to dinner with friends last night, carried the Stag Case lock-back. Heading to the woods for several days of turkey hunting, carrying the Case 3318 in my pocket, a Buck 110 on my hip, and a Buck 121 just in case I get to breast a wild turkey. OH
Case_51749_LSS_Mini-Copperlock_-_2000.jpg

Case_3318_HE_-_1980_Yellow_Delrin.jpg

Good luck on the hunt :thumbsup: !
The other day one flew in front of my car at low altitude, luckily for both of us I did not hit it this time … a few years ago one smashed in the middle of my windshield but it was my fault in a way as I should have slowed down when I spotted a whole bunch of them on the shoulder.

Didn’t see this coming. Stopped at GP just to take a look BEFORE the brewery hunt began, because stopping AFTER a few beers isn’t a good idea. :D A mini copperlock was not on the radar but spotted this one and couldn’t pass it up. To me the amber bone is classic Case.
View attachment 1544187

Nice :thumbsup: :) , I bought my daughter a mini copperlock in chestnut bone and she really likes it.
Amber bone is surely a classic :thumbsup: :)

This one brightens up a dreary day.

nCTPyZt.jpg

I can see why my friend :) , great pic :thumbsup:

Shamefully not a great picture, but absolutely a great little Brown Delrin Peanut I've had since 1998
Simple enough for a bright and rosy Sunday afternoon, here on the corner of Walk 'n Don't Walk

B8B2XZn.jpg

Hey brother Jim :) , I really like the photo :thumbsup:

Glad to see you putting it to work. I always liked those covers. :cool::thumbsup:
It’s a good one. My first Wharncliffe trapper and I like it much more than the standard. Thanks again.

View attachment 1544217 View attachment 1544208 View attachment 1544211

Enjoying the morning doing a little maintenance work on some knives with my buddy keeping a close eye on things. It is a gorgeous day, and I hope all of you have a good one!
For some reason I had in my mind that you would have some kind of hound or catahoula that hung out on your porch.

Back