What was your most recent knife purchase?

Esee 6 with the modified handle. Totally impulse buy at a gun show. I didn't have a good big woods blade, and had been putting off getting one for some time. I handled the modified handle for the first time and fell in love! After hitting the Edge Pro, the thing is crazy. Still probably shouldn't have spent the money, but I'm very happy with it.

I picked this up on the way to Vermont last week and can only manage crappy cell phone pics from here.

Ov9MrWc.jpg

IFyff05.jpg

Hey look, GB940Rookie GB940Rookie --Chazzy digging an aluminum handled knife!

Cold Steel twistmaster.

I bought it for 40$ shipped on flea bay. I was listed as new without box. It may have been unused but...... Carbon V steel untreated or oiled is bad news. It had rust and some putting including the edge. I didn't pick that up in the photos. Plus the collar isn't real tight. It's pretty frustrating. I'll grind down the pitting on the edge. Nor sure how to "fix" the pitting off the edge. I'm sure when the time comes I'll get help here.
The collars on mine (large and medium) are way too tight, even after years of use and lube. Should be able to hone that sucker to hair-popping sharp.

I pulled out all the safety pins, broke the bank and bought a . . . .
. . . .
Case Sod Buster (the big one) in blue synthetic handle #13007 (4138 SS).

My kind of handle and am liking the blade shape and relationship to the handle just fine.
all of ~$30
Decent centering and over all craftsmanship. No complaints. USA made at this price they are practically paying ME to carry THEIR knife.

I hate to say it but I like the handle tons better than an Opinel in this size.
Long skinny handle, squarish in shape with heavily rounded corners, fairly broad and flat near the pivot.

Perfection. Make it Krey-Ex and that would be delirious apexation of knifeness.
Egos and handle wise.
Why did I wait so long ?

No pics yet, but I just ordered a Hinderer Fatty Harp Tanto today.
(like I really needed another Hinderer)

Light user XM-24. PVD finish. Skinner blade. My first 24. I've had a few 18s in the past, as well as 2 Eklipses. Love the feel of it, flips pretty decent. Ordered a set of phosphor bronze washers and a micarta scale for it. 15075067891491306450103.jpg

All of these arrived today, well really Friday & Saturday but I was out of town.
  • Massdrop Falcon (very impressed)
  • Brous Silent Solider Flipper with some issues
  • Emerson Mini Commander with a nice v-grind edge (I might actually keep this Emerson)
  • Wilkins titanium grips for one of my Griptilians
i.ashx

I'm not trying to tell you what to do but I think a knife for a six year old should either have a very flat tip like a Graham Razel or atleast a pronounced sheepsfoot.

I've gone back and forth on that point a bit. I also have the "My First Victorinox" knife in a drawer, which has a rounded tip, an another option.

The decision on which one will depend on how she uses the different blades under close supervision over the next month or three . . . and how much common sense she is showing, when the time comes. And how my wife feels on the topic. :~)

I just bought a few things that are different for me, a very thin fixed blade and a folding fillet knife...

Buck 220 Silver Creek
This folding fillet knife is something I will toss into my tackle box. I have a good fillet knife at home, but I thought this might be a decent blade to keep with me just in case. The steel is a bit too thick for finer tasks, so it doesn't bend easily, but in a pinch it's worked pretty good.

Cold Steel 20VSHSZ
I prefer a 1/8" blade for my outdoor knives as it's proven thick enough for heavy use - like battoning - yet thin enough for more detailed work. I've often wondered just how thin (read: light weight) a blade I could get away with though, so when the 20VSHSZ was on sale recently I decided to take the plunge. It hasn't been in the field yet, so I'm not able to say what it can/can't do, but overall I like a lot about this knife. And for 20 bucks you can't go wrong.

My most recent purchase is a Tangram Sante Fe. Tangram is the new budget line ($20-30) of knives from the folks over at Kizer. If this knife is any indication of what Tangram can bring to the table, the Ontario Rats of the world will be forced to step up their game. The Rats and Byrds and Kershaws don't stand a chance.
View attachment 777975

I just received in the mail yesterday a pair of brand new Manix2 sprint runs with composite S90V/CPM154 blades and CF handles.

I haven't had time to open the package yet. So that's my morning project today.

I should be thrilled with these knives. But just in case I'm not , keep an eye on the exchange :)

Last edited:
I just received in the mail yesterday a pair of brand new Manix2 sprint runs with composite S90V/CPM154 blades and CF handles.

I haven't had time to open the package yet. So that's my morning project today.

I should be thrilled with these knives. But just in case I'm not , keep an eye on the exchange :)
Nice! But how do you fall asleep with an unopened spyderco in the mail?!:eek:

Schrade SCHF36. Always wanted a true sharpened prybar with a massive 0.25" slab of carbon steel, this one fills the bill. Despite the thick blade, it's a hollow grind and cutting performance is very good for the price, it came shaving sharp from the factory. You can find these as little as $26 at places like Knifecenter, and for about $10 more, you can also get a version with a micarta handle although I like this TPE stuff. It's grippy, water resistant, and works fine.

y4mAK4jACmqcbqD2VTQOTVG73SfuzpdrNZ0Ea_i1biA2uCvNptnvNK396BtYkdWc-JwvPrpTF5ut5OYfz0TaJPYNQmi9WrRPRikbvIR73IQZuCZ2uxdGMfluuC8KjexaGGUJwQj1UtmwbBsl45hKn277PhPWNCxLZtd0R9j8gNvgTodJrcXuwESHxpFJV2doS-hW9F7WIsJ1DHhaHsJxo8cPw

Back