What was your most recent knife purchase?

Nice. Are you planning to mod it or keep it stock?

Not yet sure... I may just throw it up for sale. If I keep it, Josh at REK will do a deeper hollow regrind.

Liking that BlueStar. Where did you dig it up?

The week before last I went Old School with a hard-to-find Benchmade mini BlueStar BNIB.

udHMW3Y.jpg

Liking that BlueStar. Where did you dig it up?
I found it on the Big Auction Site. I'm always a little leery buying stuff there, but I'd done business with that seller before so I went ahead with the purchase. The knife is a perfect specimen. I've got a matching full/mini Darkstar pair and have been looking for the same in Bluestars. I've still got to find a full size of the latter.

Those patterns aren't really the most practical knives, but I'm into old-school Benchmades and just like 'em. They're pretty thick behind the edge, but ATS34 is easy to work and gets wicked sharp, so while they're not great slicers they still handle general cutting tasks well.

Cold Steel twistmaster.

I bought it for 40$ shipped on flea bay. I was listed as new without box. It may have been unused but...... Carbon V steel untreated or oiled is bad news. It had rust and some putting including the edge. I didn't pick that up in the photos. Plus the collar isn't real tight. It's pretty frustrating. I'll grind down the pitting on the edge. Nor sure how to "fix" the pitting off the edge. I'm sure when the time comes I'll get help here.
Use it. Use it hard. The pitting is now part of the knife and if you try to grind it out, you'll lose more metal than you want. Leave the pitting and enjoy the glory that is the old Carbon V!

Zieg

Today several knives arrived in the mail:
View media item 1906
  • War Eagle Blades Pocket Hunter-Caper
  • War Eagle Blades Pocket Skinner
  • A.G. Russell Woodswalker
  • A. G. Russell 3" Purple Handle Lockback
  • A. G. Russell Hunter Scalpel
My wife's paring knife is there for the purpose of scale.

We are in the process of finding a smaller, inexpensive locking or fixed blade knife for our six year old daughter. She's showing enough responsibility that she will be getting her first knife soon, to be used with close supervision until she shows she is ready for more.

After handling them all, both my daughter and I both liked the woodswalker. The purple lockback fit her hand well, and as far as she is concerned it is a smaller version of my wife's delica. :) The scalpel was a bit small for her, but I could see using it when I need something smaller. We'll do a bit of controlled testing over the next month or two to figure out which one will be hers. The rest will end up as backup knives that are stashed in gloveboxes or backpacks or given away as gifts... except maybe the woodswalker... it seems very capable and may end up in my pocket occasionally.

Enjoy

P.S.: all these knives were fairly sharp out of the box, but after a little bit of time on the sharpmaker, they are all arm shaving sharp. ;)
P.P.S: The sheath on the scalpel sounds gimmicky with the safety lock, but it seems capable and fairly solid.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do but I think a knife for a six year old should either have a very flat tip like a Graham Razel or atleast a pronounced sheepsfoot.

ZT 0301, not sure if they are NOS or if ZT is re-releasing them. Handful of dealers have stock.

Spydie Myrtle on Exchange, out of curiosity (and an attractive price).
I fell in love instantly. This is a dressed up beast of a cutting machine.
I can sharpener up a knife free hand pretty "ok". I am above average but can't hold a candle to most guys here....That blade looks like a PITA to sharpen. Sexy looking knife my friend!
R72buFz.jpg

Use it. Use it hard. The pitting is now part of the knife and if you try to grind it out, you'll lose more metal than you want. Leave the pitting and enjoy the glory that is the old Carbon V!

Zieg
Thank you for your advice Mr. Zieg! I think my approach will be to whetstone out the pitting on the edge and try to tighten up the collar. Next I'm going to beat seven shades of shit out of it! All while trying to score a LNIB CS Twistmaster to play with.

Thank you for your advice Mr. Zieg! I think my approach will be to whetstone out the pitting on the edge and try to tighten up the collar. Next I'm going to beat seven shades of shit out of it! All while trying to score a LNIB CS Twistmaster to play with.
The collar won't be too difficult to tighten. Be careful not to crease the metal who you bend it.

Zieg

Just bought a Kizer Intrepid and a Ganzo F754. I'm pretty impressed with the quality for the price specially the Kizer

Back