What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

^^^^ I REALLY like that knife. The steel, the shape.... Would you mind sharing the dimensions on that including how thin you generally take the edge down to prior to sharpening? Does that thickness vary much depending on the steel you’re using? From my limited knowledge on kitchen knives, I believe thickness/edge geometry can vary depending upon the type of knife and it’s purpose. I really need to try and make a general purpose kitchen knife for home and am trying to figure out a good way to plan it out-never made kitchen cutlery before. Thanks for posting up your knives-they’re fun to look at :).

Jeremy

Spring is nearly here and so is karambit season.
I sure could have used a bandsaw as it was no small effort to hack through this much .207" CPM 3V!
The piece is 4" x 18". Not sure what to do with the small piece in the middle...

FxMcqE7.jpg

^^^^ I REALLY like that knife. The steel, the shape.... Would you mind sharing the dimensions on that including how thin you generally take the edge down to prior to sharpening? Does that thickness vary much depending on the steel you’re using? From my limited knowledge on kitchen knives, I believe thickness/edge geometry can vary depending upon the type of knife and it’s purpose. I really need to try and make a general purpose kitchen knife for home and am trying to figure out a good way to plan it out-never made kitchen cutlery before. Thanks for posting up your knives-they’re fun to look at :).

Jeremy

Blade length is just over 9 inches at the edge, at the tallest point it’s 2 1/16. It’s 1/8 at the thickest point and tapers down to about .070 1 inch from the tip. Full convex grind, ground to <.002 at the edge.

Most new guys get the profile wrong, I suggest you look at some Japanese knives and copy their profile.

Hoss

Been working on a lot of stuff. Got my shop mived, built a surface grinder attachment, and I turned the frown upside-down on this Nitro-V camp knife that showed a crack at 60 grit. I have no idea why. It looks decidedly shark-like and now looks decidedly non-Japanse-like. IMG_20180311_223523534.jpg IMG_20180311_223509775.jpg IMG_20180312_152737368_HDR.jpg

Spring is nearly here and so is karambit season.
I sure could have used a bandsaw as it was no small effort to hack through this much .207" CPM 3V!
The piece is 4" x 18". Not sure what to do with the small piece in the middle...

FxMcqE7.jpg
EDC prybar!

Just finished a Randall Alaskan inspired skinner. This is my first hidden tang, first antler, first bolster knife, and second one I’ve forged. It is 1084 forged from 1.25x.25” stock, left some forging marks on there too. Antler donated from buddy of mine. This is my 15th knife so far, all rest have been full tang. Learning every time
J6B44ig.jpg

CqZqi6m.jpg

IoWhkQV.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished up these. Nesmuk is D2. ended up with the Nesmuk style because it fit my odd shaped piece I had. 3 3/4 blade g10 and Corian countertop

Kitchen knife I made up out of one of those really big band saw blades 15n20??. Trading it to a co worker for half and elk mount. forgot to stamp it and I should have heated it further up the blade. you can see a line where the hardness changes from heating it. :-(

Here's my 7 year old son helping to glue up the handle and mosaic pins on the kitchen knife. He got a real kick out of doing it.

a 254mm by 54mm nitro v chef heat treated to rc63-64 by peters. This has a full distal taper of course.
ZYDYku6.jpg

"ghost cloud" pattern in a v toku2 core s.s. clad petty. this one about 180mm.
7QlpDXC.jpg

Danf, is that silver wire in some kind of horn?
Silver wire in curly maple stained dark brown, surface sealed with super glue, dried, then edges sanded to almost bare wood and stained light-medium brown trying for an aged look.

Back