What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

There's way too little going on in my "shop", but I have some heat treat experiments planned for the weekend at least. Recently got my oven up and running and am trying to figure things out. Thanks to @Stromberg Knives for giving me some good pointers. Finished a couple of "test" blades today, let's hope they turn out right. Top one is RWL 34 and bottom is AEB-L.

ssvuEwx.jpg

Here's a mega fanger cause I like to make up words as well as knives. It's 12"OAL in 5160 and Bubinga with sculpted scales and red racing stripes. Just cleaning up some odds and ends, burnish the sheath edges, apply final finishes and such. Lightings pretty bad on the kitchen floor, makers mark is deep and dark, the wood is much prettier and vivid as is the leather.
IMG_1907.JPG

Here's a mega fanger cause I like to make up words as well as knives. It's 12"OAL in 5160 and Bubinga with sculpted scales and red racing stripes. Just cleaning up some odds and ends, burnish the sheath edges, apply final finishes and such. Lightings pretty bad on the kitchen floor, makers mark is deep and dark, the wood is much prettier and vivid as is the leather.
REALLY nice swedge! Wow! Nice job!

Things are moving forward. And a new machine day as well!
4vgX3D2.jpg

K2gjy3M.jpg

91EAAEZ.jpg

220 grit currently. Planning on going up to 600/1000, depending on this surface finish. Debating on clean look or vinegar or mustard etch. Any ideas? I want to see the hamon!

Things are moving forward. And a new machine day as well!
4vgX3D2.jpg

K2gjy3M.jpg

91EAAEZ.jpg

220 grit currently. Planning on going up to 600/1000, depending on this surface finish. Debating on clean look or vinegar or mustard etch. Any ideas? I want to see the hamon!
Try the vinegar first, see if you like it. If not, just clean it up and try something else.

Try the vinegar first, see if you like it. If not, just clean it up and try something else.
My biggest worry about vinegar is durability, if the finish goes to shit after using the knife I'd prefer natural patina or mustard. Ferric Chlorid etch should be more durable?

Only 70 ? Call me when you get 75 :p Insanely ..................:D :thumbsup:
That would be wild, I believe 72rc is the ceiling for these "bridge materials" and 71rc was the hardest I've ever got or seen.

Would have to cross the bridge over to carbide materials for that and the sharpening behavior just ain't the same, not as desirable.

This is an EDC seaxish type knife that I'm trying out that turned out pretty well so far, I really like the profile of this one.

image28.jpeg

This is some of the stuff I've got finish ground, mostly 1084 with some 80crv2 in the mix
image27.jpeg

Whole batch back from Peters
image26.jpeg
Finished up a pocket sheath for this puukko/kwaiken hybrid
image25.jpeg
Jimping on a custom order EDC seax in 80crv2. I'm pleased with how they came out
image24.jpeg
Trying out some carving knives in 80crv2
image23.jpeg
A few different versions of the M4
image21.jpeg

Pile o steel
image20.jpeg
I got another part of the work area done, left half is the sheath bench. I need to add a shelf to store all my sheath material, well kydex. I'm probably going to dedicate a different space for leather eventually.
image19.jpeg

I tried removeable/routered handles on my personal M4. The scales turned out like crap, but I learned a ton in the process of making them and the next ones will be better.
image18.jpeg
Puukko/kwaiken hybrid handle. I think it's not bad for my 2nd "japanese" style handle.
image17.jpeg image16.jpeg image15.jpeg image14.jpeg image13.jpeg image12.jpeg
I'm super happy with how this M4 for a friend turned out. He helped me wire in the 220 for the shop and build the benches and shelving. I love ironwood!
image11.jpeg image10.jpeg image9.jpeg

Back