What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

I mentioned above nail nicks have always held me back from taking slipjoints more seriously. I failed with cutoff wheels, dremel, etc. After messing around on the milling machine the last two days, I eventually figuring out a weird setup with a carbide threading insert placed a bit offset into a flycutter arbor that I milled out to fit my lathe inserts. I believe this is about a 3.5-4" radius. It is 60% into the thickness of the blade and I dont want to toot my own horn but this thing is CRISP right off the mill. I think I have overcome my fear of nail nicks. I did this on my 1944 Bridgeport. Here's the tooling and result:

QPIBjcv.jpg

WItgNm0.jpg

David that looks great! Really loving the Wharncliffe pattern as well.

I've been wondering about all the different ways a nail-nick is achieved the past six or seven so months and this one looks great.....although the tooling is out of my meager shop and hand tools available......although I have found that there are other alternatives that anyone can afford on a minimal budget.......but this is a great looking finished nail-nick you have achieved ~ looks great ~ Carbide Cutting Wheels are another Option ~ some are more expensive than others and there is a large selection of different brands and prices ~ Here is one that came up under a search I just did and it is the first time I have ever seen it myself ~ looks like a good possibility for the job though ~ I think you can get Carbide Cutting Wheels in Dremel Size Shafts and Cutting Bits ~ I also thought that a homemade miniature chop-saw would make a good way to cut them into the blade securing them on a stable work surface and just making a plunge cut down into the blade blanks ~ I don't know but your post got me thinking about it again ~ Oh........and Nice Nail-Nick doesn't get much better than that ~ "J"

~ https://www.toolstoday.com/v-10483-...MI4NWOnq7v6wIVciCtBh1pOwRiEAQYBSABEgIMuPD_BwE

with regard to 15N20;
Too many people chasing the next new super steel when they haven’t pulled the best from the steel they bought 2 weeks ago.

with regard to 15N20;
Too many people chasing the next new super steel when they haven’t pulled the best from the steel they bought 2 weeks ago.
It’s a good all around steel. It takes a killer edge and is very easy to sharpen.

5070AADF-4769-4335-87B0-859F4423633E.jpeg FD2B929A-40CA-4FE6-A4F2-B0FE1CDC223D.jpeg 85F72936-DCF8-4E5A-8EB9-91A2CBA11FC6.jpeg
Time to go beat some more copper and start a lot of sanding.

This is part of “that” W2, the shorter blade is forged and the longer is stock removal, both from the same billet. I want to see the difference in the finished products hamon

My second complete forged blade. (A few attempts in the drawer) Stock removal maker, but went to check out Jesse Ewing’s 16 ton press and now hooked. Had some scraps of Alabama Damascus and some 1084. Ebony handle with red g10 liners and copper corby bolts. Just shy of 11” blade, about 17” OAL. no idea what I am doing but Jesse walked me through the steps for making San mai, then finished her up at home. Might get a press soon...
apMzn84.jpg

So
LHxNx4e.jpg

Last edited:
Cutting out frames and hopefully milling for liners on this slipjoint. Tiny mistakes adding up on fitup/rise/fall and some aspects of design. I'm delayed till monday on heat treat as I'm out of foil so hoping I can pull this together and get creative.

LOL Its actually going to be used to slice 3 years aged wagyu ham. I was gifted a small piece, its amazing, not technically ham because its not from a hog, but done the same way given the characteristics of wagyu meat.

My breakfast:
EEpcAeA.png
Looks tasty, I would probably add a little hot sauce though.

Just kidding around.
Every couple years I get a 6 to 8 pound wagyu tenderloin center cut roast and cut it into 3" steaks. I dry age them 45 days. Amazing taste. I ordered a Kobe from Japan one time, but it wasn't really any different than the wagyu ... except for the price tag.

Back