What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Wrapping up this 4" Zulo pattern slipjoint. Handle material is vintage rag micarta off a NOS model T cam gear. Matching gear shield. Integral milled frame/liners. 154CM.

Ti9mwv7.jpg

I want the blade and bolster gits running the same direction

I want the blade and bolster gits running the same direction

Thank you so much for this feedback! I don't think I've ever seen a slipjoint with the grits running lengthwise on the bolsters that I can recall but perhaps with this design and no rat-tail it would make sense...especially if multiple people here had the same thought.

Simple enough to change and try out. I considered mirroring them, as well.

I have been using my after work time to mount my new grinder and set everything up. Can't wait to start grinding on it.

HJAJPBi.jpg

pBALqpZ.jpg

JekxU2d.jpg

UCz3AWS.jpg

Should I keep my 2x42 or sell it on? It's one speed, but I paid dearily for the gator and scotchbrite belts.

Also one more question, can the bevels be ground by tilting the platen forward if I keep the knife on a 90 degree jig? Never seen this done, but it doesn't sound bad in theory.

Better to tilt the blade with a bubble jig or set the bevel jig. The flat platen on the grinder should be pretty much vertical.

FredyCro FredyCro
Sure you can tilt the platen, lots of makers do that.
Just be sure to measure the angle from the work rest.

Also one more question, can the bevels be ground by tilting the platen forward if I keep the knife on a 90 degree jig? Never seen this done, but it doesn't sound bad in theory.
I grind that way last four years ..................It is better way then to use that clumsy adjustable jig :D
PS .I will take picture of my grinding jig and clamp to hold blank ....I think you will like it .

Last edited:
I want to start practicing push stick method, but then resort to a jig to even out the mistakes. So, either a full jig, tilting table or tilting the platen is a possibilty.

I want to start practicing push stick method, but then resort to a jig to even out the mistakes. So, either a full jig, tilting table or tilting the platen is a possibilty.

Try using a jig to establish the angle and get close to finish grind, then remove the jig and grind by hand. This way you have an established angle to ride upon while working to finish grind.
That way you can skip the uneven grind phase.

Free world , you can try whatever you want :) I will keep grinding with my stupid simple jig :D
I borrowed the left handle for another tool , you understand what is what and for what reason is there , right ?
gBMq5Hh.jpg

5i6OT6Y.jpg

mB9KoDh.jpg

Try using a jig to establish the angle and get close to finish grind, then remove the jig and grind by hand. This way you have an established angle to ride upon while working to finish grind.
That way you can skip the uneven grind phase.
Thats how I did it on my 2x42, never change a winning horse I guess..

Back