What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

I really, really like how the non-uniform accent lines give the engraving a great organic feel. I learned something today. Thank you, sir!

A little sgian dubh in 3V at 60 HRC.
I'm making a matching wooden sheath with a metal face plate.
When sheathed, the three bands of nickel silver will all be the same thickness.
I even managed to get the coin oriented how I want it with respect to the blade (I had to remove tiny amounts of wood and keep testing the fit).
Eg02F6d.jpg

bBc39O7.jpg

e3TlOzF.jpg

9T5kV2D.jpg

Playing with some fluting on the latest frame handle. Harder than it looks! got the shape dialed just need to get it polished out and glued.
rwd1z0M.jpg

Also had some crazy g10 lying around, which I didnt love in scale form. Chucked it on a handle, like it better but to busy for my tastes really. Still, its new owner loves it, and the rest of the knife turned out great. First stainless out of my shop so happy it all seems to have worked
vtVgUvO.jpg

vB4u6nu.jpg

Playing with some fluting on the latest frame handle. Harder than it looks! got the shape dialed just need to get it polished out and glued.
rwd1z0M.jpg

Also had some crazy g10 lying around, which I didnt love in scale form. Chucked it on a handle, like it better but to busy for my tastes really. Still, its new owner loves it, and the rest of the knife turned out great. First stainless out of my shop so happy it all seems to have worked
vtVgUvO.jpg

vB4u6nu.jpg

That's some clean work! I like the handle shaping and the scales are cool.

Played around in the shop a bit!

Made a new bevel grinding jig:
UoRbNr7l.jpg

Made a table for my new Portaband and figured out a cheap way to mount it:
CWhK8lBl.jpg

fR5VJYMl.jpg

Did some handle material molding, fabric and Marine Guard 8000 epoxy. Fabric Jelly roll smooshed down:
rSNnwzj.jpg

5L7heTV.jpg

I like the subtle contouring. Was all the sanding done on the grinder? Both matte and polished look good.

Thank you, I think so too. I tend to lean towards matte on Micarta, but always have a hard time staying away from the buffer to see the colors pop a little.
The handle was shaped on the grinder 99%. 250 mm wheel and then slack belt "platen". I go to P400 on the grinder, then finish by hand.

Been kinda busy IRL so no real knife progress, so much. And busy doing other things knife related, but not the knife, LOL.

The knife blank has been cut out, and holes drilled in the tang. No pics yet, sorry.

Building a Kydex Press. Also starting to build a knife jig. Piping cut, and wooden dowel cut and shaped a bit. Having a hard time finding the knobs I'd like to use. May have to order them online. Kydex should be here any day, so will likely make a sheath for my first knife shortly.

I'm working on a heat treat oven in the shop today! I was thinking about wrapping my soft firebrick chamber with some of this stuff. Has anyone tried it? Says it's max contact temp is around 180F.

I'm working on a heat treat oven in the shop today! I was thinking about wrapping my soft firebrick chamber with some of this stuff. Has anyone tried it? Says it's max contact temp is around 180F.

That stuff is really just plastic, and might well melt. I would be wary of wrapping the bricks with it.

My two latest. The front flipper linerlock is my second prototype. 5/32” CPM-154 blade, 3/32” grade 5 Ti liners, and blue g10 scales. The fixed blade is 5/32” AEB-L, polished black paper micarta scales, and brass pins.

Attachments

• 9A5C201E-0654-43F5-95E8-4094B7850C81.jpeg
    9A5C201E-0654-43F5-95E8-4094B7850C81.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 35
My two latest. The front flipper linerlock is my second prototype. 5/32” CPM-154 blade, 3/32” grade 5 Ti liners, and blue g10 scales. The fixed blade is 5/32” AEB-L, polished black paper micarta scales, and brass pins.
Very nice!!

I love the blade shape of the blue one. Very tanto-esque.

I just finished my second full tang knife. It is 1/8" AEB-L steel with 3/16" 304 stainless steel pins and walnut scales. It's 3-1/2" blade length and 8" overall length with a highly skeletonized tang giving a final weight of 2.8 oz (80 grams). I've made a couple dozen wa handled kitchen knives at this point but full tang knives with a plunged grind are a very different experience. There's lot to improve on, but my favorite part is how much faster they are to make! The small blade surface area makes them quick to grind and the handle is much faster than making a good three piece wa handle.

Back