What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Fixall,
On doing the shoulders the temptation is to file them at a perfect 90°. This isn't as strong as a radiused corner. It can cause a stress riser in both HT as well as in use.
Try this next time:
1) After clamping the blade in the vise, use a small chainsaw file to make a rounded corner.
2) Then use the flat file to make the flat shoulder.

Fixall,
On doing the shoulders the temptation is to file them at a perfect 90°. This isn't as strong as a radiused corner. It can cause a stress riser in both HT as well as in use.
Try this next time:
1) After clamping the blade in the vise, use a small chainsaw file to make a rounded corner.
2) Then use the flat file to make the flat shoulder.

This place is awesome! :)

I was a little confused by what you meant until I saw this picture of the Buck 119 with radiused inside corners (I had thought you meant the outside corners). That makes complete sense to me! I've only filed the tang on one of the knives so when I go back to Bob's shop, I'll bring that up.

1622320174273.jpeg

Thanks Stacy!

Finally got around trying the new 500 mm / 20" wheel grinder. Also first time grinding a blade on a wheel instead of platen. I quite like it. This is 2.5 mm / 0.1" stock. It leaves a pretty discrete hollow.

h7OVlRE.jpg

Well, it wasn't exactly "in the shop," but I finished shaping some scales on a Green River knife kit this afternoon. Glued them up and pinned them a couple months back. Haven't affixed my vice in the shop yet, so I lugged it out to a shady spot in the yard.
MMbkOlR.jpg

Maybe my fourth or fifth set of scales put on; tried really hard not to sand the wood down below the tang so everything would stay flush. I've messed it up in the past since the wood sands so much easier than the steel, even sanding with the paper on a hard block; but this one turned out even and flush.
UG4DuWU.jpg

I peened the pins out a good bit, but after shaping the scales, it looks like all the upset disappeared with the sawdust. Now there are little half-moons of epoxy showing around them. Thankfully, the holes are completely filled with no gaps. Perhaps do more shaping before glue-up?
3alqN2v.jpg

Well, it wasn't exactly "in the shop," but I finished shaping some scales on a Green River knife kit this afternoon. Glued them up and pinned them a couple months back. Haven't affixed my vice in the shop yet, so I lugged it out to a shady spot in the yard.
MMbkOlR.jpg

Maybe my fourth or fifth set of scales put on; tried really hard not to sand the wood down below the tang so everything would stay flush. I've messed it up in the past since the wood sands so much easier than the steel, even sanding with the paper on a hard block; but this one turned out even and flush.
UG4DuWU.jpg

I peened the pins out a good bit, but after shaping the scales, it looks like all the upset disappeared with the sawdust. Now there are little half-moons of epoxy showing around them. Thankfully, the holes are completely filled with no gaps. Perhaps do more shaping before glue-up?
3alqN2v.jpg

Nice work. What blank? I always liked their sheep skinner, but would mod the point and maybe contour the handle a little. It actually was that idea that got me looking into grinders and knifemaking to start with.

Very nice profile, and excellent handle design (so much better looking, and I'm sure more comfortable, than Wa)
Thanks.
i wish i could take credit for those two things but the profile is highly influenced by michael rader and the handle by mareko

most of my sales are 240 mm blades but this 200 mm works better with a western handle IMO

Managed to save the botched hollow by regrinding it on the drive wheel of my 2x42.
SBmpPSx.jpg

YQCP8hE.jpg

I have no pics, but the becut hunters are fighting me, botched the hollows by chasing the plunges, reground to flat, botched the plunges again, now I am trying to save it, but I feel like I am rushing on the final grinding. Also becut is really a b*** to finish, fresh AO paper on the disk sander wouldn't even touch it and scotchbrite belts leave a streaky finish. I am really hesitant to even try handfinishing it, but I have some cheap diamond stones and diamond paste that I might try.

I bought an anvil from Atlas Knife and Tool a few weeks ago on a whim and finally got around to building a stand for it. My first project was to make some tongs to hold round stock. The tongs are based on a video by a fellow who lives in Taiwan and forges tongs on the rooftop of an apartment building. His channel is Glen GS Tongs. The project went surprisingly well given that this is maybe my fourth or fifth time forging, until it came time to rivet the tongs together. It took me three of four tries, the rivet would always bend into an S instead of creating a head. I finally had the idea to cool the bottom part to prevent it from bending and the tongs went together. They hold really well, who says you can't learn anything from youtube?
noIsZGQ.jpg

Nice work. What blank? I always liked their sheep skinner, but would mod the point and maybe contour the handle a little. It actually was that idea that got me looking into grinders and knifemaking to start with.
Thanks! It's the "Buffalo Skinner". My uncle picked up a couple of them years ago and never built them, so he gave them to me with some restoration projects. What kind of contouring did you do?

Thanks! It's the "Buffalo Skinner". My uncle picked up a couple of them years ago and never built them, so he gave them to me with some restoration projects. What kind of contouring did you do?
Nice.
I never started that project. One thing led to another and I ended up buying a grinder and some knife steel instead 😬

Hello all. Finally got some time to play around with some canister damascus. Here's a pic of the first KSO out of can #2:
20210601_183307.jpg
Ingredients are 1084 powder from Kelly Cupples and 1080 powder with 2% nickel and 1080 powder with 4% nickel from Jantz. There are also 20-30 "stainless steel" pins that I was hoping would show up as stars....looks like I gotta try something else next time.

Back