What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Had a really good day in the shop yesterday. My grinding game on the kitchen knifes is improving a lot. I am really happy of the geometry I put on the gyuto, I also did 95% on the grind on a 40 grit ceramic which put a more pronounced convex and made everything a lot quicker. Everything at a dirty 220 finish, going to etch the mark and finish them all with scotchbrite belts. 1 WA handle, 1 western frame style handle and on full tang. Two of the knives are for my best friends 30th bdays, running late a lot
lZZwcY8.jpg

rclrNpn.jpg
VdmZcxr.jpg
QzVhFYQ.jpg

Those look great! Are you doing a full S-grind on the middle one?
Thanks. The hollows are done, I don't know how much they will help with food release. These are just 5" wheel hollows, a full S-grind is usually done on much bigger diameters. It is a bit of an experiment since I lost couple of inches of the blade and wanted to try something new.

I finally got to finish this one (in the works since last autumn). A western style chef's knife .... actually patterned after my old, old, Sabatier chefs knife. Blade profile modified a little though to more resemble a japanese profile (ok, I guess some might call this a Gyuto :).. S35VN at 62 HRC. blue dyed spalted maple (courtesey of WEO. I did take the time to hand sand this blade .... not perfect, but you can definitely tell the difference.....

1622735485435.png
1622735515088.png

I curious as to the thickness of the edge prior to heat treat. How thick are you leaving it?

Recently finished a utility kitchen knife for a friend who gave me a nice hunk of wenge. Naturally that is what she got for a handle. This is the second of two utility knives that were my first knives ground freehand. Lets just say the amount of hand sanding I did on them may have been more than all my previous knives combined...

1suqRaY.jpg

I am unemployed since monday last week, so I have been having a blast in the shop.
cpgPFNS.jpg

jGenCnc.jpg

BNPVV0u.jpg

Managed to get the cleaver mostly straight, finished grinding today and tested quickly, all good. It kept bowing and I kept peening it straight, a bit nerving, but it went quickly.
llfyOCC.jpg

Back