What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

MagnaCut and bog oak
JwQ5BzR.jpg

Took a time out from my 115 degree Tempe AZ workshop to photo this new Kaibab Kommando (2 of 2). It's 80CRV2 with leather and Ironwood, G10 spacers and sculpted steel pommel. I still need to finesse the front of the block flush to the bolster, finish handle polishing and sharpen.IMG_2866.JPGIMG_2867.JPGIMG_2868.JPG

Took a time out from my 115 degree Tempe AZ workshop to photo this new Kaibab Kommando (2 of 2). It's 80CRV2 with leather and Ironwood, G10 spacers and sculpted steel pommel. I still need to finesse the front of the block flush to the bolster, finish handle polishing and sharpen.View attachment 1585798View attachment 1585799View attachment 1585800
Nicely done!
How do you work in that kind of heat? It gets above 90 I can't function in my shop for more than half an hour.

How do you work in that kind of heat?
Hee Hee!! It's a dry hell Imeanheat. I've been here since 1982 so we do get acclimated somewhat, still brutal though. I'm from the high desert of SE Oregon where cold was normal in winter but my blood is so thin now that 45/50 is shivering cold. But our snowbirds wear shorts and t's with flipflops in January when the natives are bundled up. Serious though heat stroke is always a threat, lots of water breaks and I only work in shade whenever possible.

ETA I'll be playing soccer from 9 to 11 tomorrow where we are in the direct sun, that's as bad as it gets even in the am it's rough this time of year. Our Sunday pick up game has been going for way more than 35 years.

Hee Hee!! It's a dry hell Imeanheat. I've been here since 1982 so we do get acclimated somewhat, still brutal though. I'm from the high desert of SE Oregon where cold was normal in winter but my blood is so thin now that 45/50 is shivering cold. But our snowbirds wear shorts and t's with flipflops in January when the natives are bundled up. Serious though heat stroke is always a threat, lots of water breaks and I only work in shade whenever possible.

ETA I'll be playing soccer from 9 to 11 tomorrow where we are in the direct sun, that's as bad as it gets even in the am it's rough this time of year. Our Sunday pick up game has been going for way more than 35 years.
It's been hovering between 100 and 107 here in the Salt Lake City area for the past week. Humidity below 10%. If this keeps up I'll have to start working at night.

Hee Hee!! It's a dry hell Imeanheat.
I'm right there with ya!! I live in tx down on the border and yeah... Hot! Damn hot!
I forge outside in an un-conditioned space, and man, it really takes it outta ya quick!
Lots of water is the key!

It's been hovering between 100 and 107 here in the Salt Lake City area for the past week. Humidity below 10%. If this keeps up I'll have to start working at night.
Yeah … right now I am just south of you near Hurricane. Hot. Definitely hot!

Copper+Nickel+1095 steel Go-Mai @63.5RC, Mammoth ivory + resin handle, mosaic pin and stainless bolsters. Sheath this time also by me.

Pablo

zKlV557.jpg

4olHuw7.jpg

4ofZVHw.jpg
That's some beautiful work!

Reactions: PEU
Hello all. Hope it's cooler where you are. Had the phone in the shop today and decided to try some video, partly to remind folks that I do actually make blades and don't just cruise the 'net...;)
1080/15N20 that was the end of a crushed-w billet that turned into this explosion pattern:
20201207_144817.jpg

*sigh* . . . now I have to start doing handle work....😬

Attachments

• 20210621_110459a.jpg
    20210621_110459a.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Copper+Nickel+1095 steel Go-Mai @63.5RC, Mammoth ivory + resin handle, mosaic pin and stainless bolsters. Sheath this time also by me.

Pablo

zKlV557.jpg

4olHuw7.jpg

4ofZVHw.jpg
Ooh, I love this! I've really been digging copper recently. I've been going down a rabbit hole on youtube for Cu Mai blades. Looks beautiful!

Reactions: PEU
Discovered an unfortunate delamination in this damascus I got in a trade with another maker, but felt like it was still worth finishing for myself with a rougher finish to keep as a work knife in the kitchen. Too bad, because I really like how this one was shaping up. Used copper in the handle for the first time and it was a delight to work. Looking forward to seeing how it patinas over time.
J5zZmVu.jpg

aLhLttE.jpg

Back