What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

It makes hand sanding faster and with a lot less effort.

Pablo

It makes hand sanding faster and with a lot less effort.

Pablo
Well , that is part I don't get it . What difference make if hand are steady and blade is moving ? You need to apply pressure with hands in same manner as hand sanding on sandpaper and than that create friction and you fight with hands against that force to keep sandpaper in place ?

Here's a WIP for a new trailing point, kinda mountain mann'ish, in 8670 with ironwood between the leather and Elk antler, and G10/fiber "Coral Snake" spacers. You remember - Black on Yellow.......? The guard has "Owl's Ears" to smooth the transition of thumb over spine, super comfortable that way. the handle elements are one piece now but not glued to the tang yet. Hopefully it will be ready to sharpen by Thursday.
IMG_2990.JPGIMG_2991.JPGIMG_2992.JPG

Well , that is part I don't get it . What difference make if hand are steady and blade is moving ? You need to apply pressure with hands in same manner as hand sanding on sandpaper and than that create friction and you fight with hands against that force to keep sandpaper in place ?

I thought it would be obvious, but it seems its not...
When you hand sand your muscles have to exert pressure near your body (less effort) and away from it (more effort). With the machine you just have to select the place and put your pressure there. Besides this is far less effort because the pressure exerted is almost static...
YMMV I use it a lot and my empirical conclusion is that I'm less tired when the job is done and the job is finished way faster...

Pablo

I think it's pretty obvious. That said, am I going to build this machine and try to squeeze it into my tiny shop? Probably not, but it's cool to know that I can:thumbsup:
When you hand sand your muscles have to exert pressure near your body (less effort) and away from it (more effort). With the machine you just have to select the place and put your pressure there. Besides this is far less effort because the pressure exerted is almost static...
YMMV I use it a lot and my empirical conclusion is that I'm less tired when the job is done and the job is finished way faster...

Pablo

Well , that is part I don't get it . What difference make if hand are steady and blade is moving ?
using the same amount of downward pressure, it requires more muscle groups and effort to move it back and forth rather than holding still.

Friend named Plain Ol' Bill turned me on to a finish-sanding trick years ago: pneumatic auto-body inline sander with PSA abrasive, turned upside down and held in a vise. Works well. Cheap enough to try out if one has an adequate compressor.

That said, there's something contemplative and meditative, though, for the person not in a hurry, to sit there and hand sand a blade. Not in a hurry: that would be me. :)

Here’s a drop point hunter with an 8670 carbon steel blade, maple scales, green liners, and green pins.
703-F6553-6838-4009-93-D9-6-A69-F2049915.jpg

Pablo
It's like wondering what's the point of using chainsaw instead of regular one.

using the same amount of downward pressure, it requires more muscle groups and effort to move it back and forth rather than holding still.
I understand that John , but energy generated by downward pressure is same in both cases and with this machine less muscle groups must handle it , so they suffer more ?
Never mind , if that works for someone .....no problem :thumbsup:

Back