What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Takefu white Suminagashi and burnt oak locally sourced here in France.
DnyT43S.jpg

Hey guys, I'm looking to do some canisters in the near future... quick question on powdered steels....

Does the 2% nickel in the 1080 powder negatively effect blade performance?

I didn't want to start a whole thread about this and figured some of yall in the shop today may have opinions?

Cheers 🙌

I've got crappy sandpaper! I do have some black ice in 320 grit, some good Norton 400 grit it's got a light blue color . The black ice isn't what it's cracked up to be for knife making! But I knew I wasn't going to go for a real shiny finish on this s90v anyway I usually reserve doing that for carbon steel! I usually go over my finish several times meaning that I sand and etch and sandblast and etch some more and blue it and . play with it a bunch of times till it looks right till it sort of looks intentional. Sometimes I'll get it pretty near shiny and decide to go back to some particular grit, like 320 or even 220. I just stop when I can't take it anymore and it starts to look sort of intentional! With this particular knife the steel was flat ground and I intend on leaving that finish on the flats, I'm sort of letting it look like a cross between a fine old Japanese samurai sword and some kind of military looking utilitarian looking tool!

Last edited:
I welded 304 stainless on tang of this knife so i can easy peen it .304 are also both steel part on handle .I peened nice mushroom and then make mistake by mirror polishing it . I was thinking that will look cool with almost mirror finish blade and now i don t like look of this knife ! There was reason why there is not that much mirror polished steel on knives , obviously .I know that I will make big mess now on blade but I will try to get rid of that polish on blade and get some nice satin finish .Maybe I should grind that mushromm too . both steel are same so tang will be ininvisble ?

bbvrKAS.jpg

JMUBi7u.jpg

FKAiipB.jpg

N Natlek I like that knife. I like that you have it mirrored. When you go to satin finish, just do the flats first and see what you think. With my 80s/90s style, it was common for me. I polished everything to mirror and then developed my skills over time that two-tone satin finish was only 1 or 2 strokes.

Nice build with the tang! Nice knife.

MNzFy4d.jpg
6IHPzdY.jpg
5LIcv0l.jpg
ywE8wZZ.jpg
8pATdif.jpg
bur1w5g.jpg

AEB-L Santoku with spalted Maple and blue G-10 liners. Mild convex to zero edge.

15n20 Harpoon Chef's knife with Lignum Vitae and Orange G-10 liners. Also mild convex down to zero edge.

I still have a little work to do on both but the picture looks fine. The blades could use a quick buff and I'm waiting for my belts to finish the handles. That Lignum Vitae eats belts. It's my first time using it and it looks better than I thought it would. I can't believe how much oil is in that stuff.

I see! So you do all your heat treat in-house but send out for the straightening 😂 That's smart man!
I wish I could do my heat treat at home. I just meant I have JT heat treat and he straightens. Unless you were being sarcastic in your response there 😅

I wish I could do my heat treat at home. I just meant I have JT heat treat and he straightens. Unless you were being sarcastic in your response there 😅

Yeah I totally understood that and was just joking around!
Made me laugh though, the thought of shipping out a bunch of warped up blades to this JT for straightening..🤭

He'd have a viable business on that service alone. He's got that sewing machine with a carbide chisel. Can't compete with that.

Back