What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Here's my latest Black River Hunter named after my favorite place on earth in eastern Arizona. This one's in 5/32" NitroV with Osage Orange scales and sky blue G10 liners. A tick over 10", the swedge widens at the tip for extra strength21-28 2.jpg21-28 3.jpg21-28 4.jpg21-28 7.jpg

What do you do when you have a newly finished Yanagabi-like knife and also have a butt load of Thanksgiving leftovers? Why - you make Thanksgiving left-over Sushi!
1638034908148.png
1638034934342.png
1638034965879.png
Seriously - working with this style of knife was really interesting. It is seriously sharp, but the edge is clearly more delicate than for other styles of kitchen knives - so you would not dare bring it near anything hard (like bone), and it is not clear that it worked any better on food that is somewhat firm (like cooked turkey). But for soft food (like a lot of vegetables, and for cutting those rolls into bite size rounds, it works like a hot knife through butter. You can see why it would work so well on thin slices of raw fish. If anyone is interested in trying out a knife of this style, I would recommend doing so .... but need to recognize that, as is the case with many traditional japanese knives, this is definitely not a "general purpose" design, but rather does a few tasks really well.

BTW - the experiment in thanksgiving-leftover sushi actually was quite a hit with the family. Well, except for the cranberry sauce rice rolls. I liked them, but not so much the rest of the family....

Finished a 14c28n petty. Buffed maroon linen micarta and ivory G10.
A7gYivE.jpg
BJ8xDSE.jpg

I cleaned my work area today, got all the clutter tidied up. Working in a dishevelled mess is certainly possible, but doing so bums me out.

Being new to knife making I'm looking for advice about vacuums. I have watched YouTube, but all they talk about are grinders.

I haven't done any knife work in over a month, last 20h in the shop went into learning to weld and making a project out of it. I kind of misjudged the effort it will need. Most of the work was done with an angle grinder. Its a 2.5m bench for the grinder, drill and bandsaw. Just paint and the resin coated plywood missing now.

RVwmG8w.jpg
2zkLjaB.jpg
kB5Zg2i.jpg

DH8ISVQ.jpg

Welds started to look better as the project progressed. I love the ice hockey pucks posing as leveling feet. And yeah, definetly need to vacuum once the project is done.

Forrest - what specifically are you looking for in terms of needs??? not sure why grinders would come up on search when you are searching for vacuums...

you might want to start a new thread with a focused title on what kind of advice you are looking for.....
Being new to knife making I'm looking for advice about vacuums. I have watched YouTube, but all they talk about are grinders.

Forrest - what specifically are you looking for in terms of needs??? not sure why grinders would come up on search when you are searching for vacuums...

you might want to start a new thread with a focused title on what kind of advice you are looking for.....

😉

dude, I'd be shitting my pants having my grubby hands anywhere near that thing. The balls on you!

Back