What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

I think the hardest thing with knife making is knowing when I'm done at various stages.
With more experience I'm starting to get it....but I'll still grind, sharpen, grind, sharpen...etc.
@woodysone

I also sand, finish, sand, finish, over and over again with my handle scales.

I would just like a little bit more confidence.

Haha....I keep sending progress pictures, and they probably all look the Same.... Ugh. 😅

*Edit....the edge keeps getting thinner and thinner.
So true. Several years ago, a good friend who builds custom motorcycles gave me some advice when I was stuck on getting the exhaust "just right" on a bike I was building. He said " You're going to have to wrap your head around the fact that it's never going to be perfect, and at some point you have to accept that it's "good enough". Otherwise, you'll never complete a project, or meet a deadline. Then, on the next one, you raise the bar of "good enough" a little more, and keep raising it every time."

So true. Several years ago, a good friend who builds custom motorcycles gave me some advice when I was stuck on getting the exhaust "just right" on a bike I was building. He said " You're going to have to wrap your head around the fact that it's never going to be perfect, and at some point you have to accept that it's "good enough". Otherwise, you'll never complete a project, or meet a deadline. Then, on the next one, you raise the bar of "good enough" a little more, and keep raising it every time."

Story of my life..... I set roadblocks on Other stuff, all the time.

On this knife, I couldn't figure out how I wanted the handle? I sat on it for a good month, then it all just kind of dawned on me, and I glued up the scales. Now....I'm excited to finish it. Where as before, because I d know what to do, I was just kinda froze

I'm not posting any more progress pics on This build. The rest needs to be a surprise

Story of my life..... I set roadblocks on Other stuff, all the time.

On this knife, I couldn't figure out how I wanted the handle? I sat on it for a good month, then it all just kind of dawned on me, and I glued up the scales. Now....I'm excited to finish it. Where as before, because I d know what to do, I was just kinda froze

I'm not posting any more progress pics on This build. The rest needs to be a surprise
Its a problem that great artists and creative people have had since time immemorial. at one stage in the 16th century it created a genre of its own "Non - Finito"
Good luck with the handle. it sounds like it will be amazing!

🤣 He is in good company, Leonardo De Vinci is reported to have once commented that a thing is never finished, it is abandoned.

Helping a local knife maker friend with handsanding on some AEB-L kitchen knives.

QjXp3Rh.jpeg

AEB-L is a joy to hand finish.

n1DuMvg.jpeg

Everyone here is getting ready for the Eugene Oregon Knife Show 2024.

I enjoyed the forging so much I have messed about making another, I have found that hammering in the distal taper is far easier than grinding one in. I chose a Scandi, trying for the Tommi style, because I am sick of seeing the birch bark gathering dust in the shed.
Forge Scandi.jpgForge Scandi1.jpg

Phew, that was narrow escape.

I woke up this morning thinking are you going mad, what started out as steel for a bit of hammer practice almost turned into another knife, what would be next? another knife, then another, then another.

I have plenty of high quality carbon steel in my shed, I even have some nice 15mm round silver steel, so I am going to frame that project as a reminder that the first ideas are not always the best ideas.

I will save the springs for handtools, jigs and the like.

Got a few of these on the bench. Never made a Puukko before, but decided to make some in AEBL. Going to leave a belt finish on these. Double hollow ground, hidden tang .130 stock. Vintage crosscut micarta, desert iron wood and carbon fiber on this one.

SrnKBGC.jpg

Here it is with the handle rough shaped. Second one is glued up in OD Green canvas, with a stainless corby and orange lanyard tube. same accents (DIW/CF). Handle is rhomboid shaped and very comfortable. The hidden tang extends almost all the way to the lanyard tube.

WtnYnsy.jpg

Back