What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

On al roll

20240323-170625.jpg

20240323-170556.jpg

20240323-170538.jpg

20240323-170401.jpg

20240323-170724.jpg
Looks great! What type of wood is that?

IMG_6624.jpeg

IMG_6802.jpeg

IMG_6803.jpeg

Hand satin on some fixed blades. After the mold stones 2000 - 2500 grit SC wet dry sandpaper. Flats I tried to take up to 3 micron. I do not own a buffer so time consuming work on the flats with satin paper and Kemet diamond compound.

Used Epidermix 372 as recommended by local MS Kevin Harvey of Heavin Forge to glue up the handle.

It is a slow curing epoxy so I could take my time and clean up the excess with some acetone and a q-tip.

Here it is with the handle rough shaped. Second one is glued up in OD Green canvas, with a stainless corby and orange lanyard tube. same accents (DIW/CF). Handle is rhomboid shaped and very comfortable. The hidden tang extends almost all the way to the lanyard tube.

WtnYnsy.jpg

Boy o boy! That's awesome!!👍

Had a cut off piece of CPM 10V that wasn't quite big enough to make a full size knife, so decided to split it into two narrower pieces and make a couple of these field scalpels. These will be partial tangs, hollow ground. Perfect for caping or skinning in confined cavities.

GKHjTQt.jpg

It appears I've caught the eastern fever. It's not going to be 100% traditional, but some aspects of it are, kind of.
This is a mock up handle to get the proportions right. No wrap on this one, it's going to have a curly maple tsuka and saya. However, I can't decide whether I want a tsuba or not, I'd love your opinions on the matter.

Z6wkjPx.jpeg

It appears I've caught the eastern fever. It's not going to be 100% traditional, but some aspects of it are, kind of.
This is a mock up handle to get the proportions right. No wrap on this one, it's going to have a curly maple tsuka and saya. However, I can't decide whether I want a tsuba or not, I'd love your opinions on the matter.

Z6wkjPx.jpeg
If you're going to add a wrap, make sure you account for the thickness of the wrap, or it'll end up feeling too thick. So make the grip slightly thinner in all dimensions than what feels comfortable.

View attachment 2535055

View attachment 2535056

View attachment 2535057

Hand satin on some fixed blades. After the mold stones 2000 - 2500 grit SC wet dry sandpaper. Flats I tried to take up to 3 micron. I do not own a buffer so time consuming work on the flats with satin paper and Kemet diamond compound.

Used Epidermix 372 as recommended by local MS Kevin Harvey of Heavin Forge to glue up the handle.

It is a slow curing epoxy so I could take my time and clean up the excess with some acetone and a q-tip.
That's awesome! I use boride's cs-hd stones which go up to 1200 grit and they work fantastic for even steels like cruwear and magnacut. If you really wanna speed it up get and air profiler (they sell on Amazon for pretty cheap, I got mine from Boride though)
1000003623.jpg

I'm trying some 9 micron resin diamond stones from jende soon... Tom custom cut these pieces for me to work with my air profiler. If they work I could get the grits down to whatever (1 micron or so)

1000003626.jpg

Josh, do those break down similar to EDM/Die Maker stones? In other words, will it conform to a hollow grind?

REK Knives REK Knives

Last edited:
Teardrop jack knife with Wharncliffe blade. Inspired by an old Ohta I saw
More pictures of the build at https://www.instagram.com/ash.handmade.knives/

Video of the walk/talk
3 3/8" closed
inspired by an old Ohta a maker from Japan
Scales are stabilized spalted hackberry wood
CPM-154 blade and spring, hand rubbed satin finish on blade
hollow ground
SS liners, end caps, pinned shield
estucheon nails and spun head
Light pull (when long pull is closer to the pivot, I don't like heavy nail breaker pull)
Bronze washers
fluted, threaded, some black dye in the threads

bIMrr5s.jpg

kee1bMj.jpg

Wken0Iz.jpg

EvpwaKs.jpg

T0A5Xv9.jpg

x7RdYCv.jpg

Teardrop jack knife with Wharncliffe blade. Inspired by an old Ohta I saw
More pictures of the build at https://www.instagram.com/ash.handmade.knives/

Video of the walk/talk
3 3/8" closed
inspired by an old Ohta a maker from Japan
Scales are stabilized spalted hackberry wood
CPM-154 blade and spring, hand rubbed satin finish on blade
hollow ground
SS liners, end caps, pinned shield
estucheon nails and spun head
Light pull (when long pull is closer to the pivot, I don't like heavy nail breaker pull)
Bronze washers
fluted, threaded, some black dye in the threads

bIMrr5s.jpg

kee1bMj.jpg

Wken0Iz.jpg

EvpwaKs.jpg

T0A5Xv9.jpg

x7RdYCv.jpg
Beautiful work!

Back