What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Here it is with the handle rough shaped. Second one is glued up in OD Green canvas, with a stainless corby and orange lanyard tube. same accents (DIW/CF). Handle is rhomboid shaped and very comfortable. The hidden tang extends almost all the way to the lanyard tube.

WtnYnsy.jpg
You do great work.

Been a busy couple of weeks in the real world and I’ve been on the knife-making struggle bus lately so I set everything aside to work on some housekeeping items around the shop and do a little fishing. I found a piece of heavy 3” angle laying around so I finally made myself a hand sanding fixture. It ain’t pretty but it just might work…
IMG_0325.jpeg

Been a busy couple of weeks in the real world and I’ve been on the knife-making struggle bus lately so I set everything aside to work on some housekeeping items around the shop and do a little fishing. I found a piece of heavy 3” angle laying around so I finally made myself a hand sanding fixture. It ain’t pretty but it just might work…
View attachment 2532120
Looks deluxe.

Made a very nice find on eBay, and scored a virtually like new Ames Model 1. Made in 2014, so I believe it is still factory supported. Came with all the original anvils, diamond penetrator( plus a spare ), ball indentor, and factory test coupons of 36, 62, and 71 HRC. None of the coupons have more than a few dimples beyond the five done when calibrated. Did a few practice tests on scrap, and then three on the 62 HRC test block. Got 62 each time. Very pleased. Would I prefer a Wilson? Absolutely. But, given the logistics of shipping it to Alaska,( and back and forth to have it calibrated, if need be ), not to mention that if the seller doesn't know what they're doing when prepping for shipment; a Wilson could be wrecked before it even got here. Just not practical. Give or take 1 HRC is plenty good for me, and better than a SWAG with files. Will definitely be making a stand for it, as it's a bit too fiddly trying to handhold it.

TQN1UDb.jpeg

these are all finished to a fairly low grit. There's another 4-5 rounds of machine sanding to go before I complete them with hand finishing, but the rough stuff is done. It's all fine tuning from here on.
KiQSy1Y.jpg

Here it is with the handle rough shaped. Second one is glued up in OD Green canvas, with a stainless corby and orange lanyard tube. same accents (DIW/CF). Handle is rhomboid shaped and very comfortable. The hidden tang extends almost all the way to the lanyard tube.

WtnYnsy.jpg
That is turning out really nice! I haven't made a Puukko either, but the idea keeps rattling around in my head, maybe when my new shop is done.lol

Thnx
I use Felder Lötöl ST.
Felder is the brand, Lötöl is German for flux. Make sure you get the ST version.
I use 3,5% silver and rest tin.

Usualy you can get them together.

Back