What's the most ergonomic and comfortable knife you own ( folder/ fixed ) Worst?

Frustratingly, the knife I carry and use the least is the comfiest - Cold Steel Large Voyager (2011/AUS8 model). Out of the ones I do carry, the Kershaw RAM is the nicest to hold. The weight, the contours... Everything. Beats out my Southard and Gayle Bradley by a wide margin as far as ergos go.

My least ergonomic knives are my Enlans: EL-02 and EL-02B. Not to say they're terribly awkward, but I can definitely feel the lack of concern for comfort in comparison to my other knives. That little ramp in the center of the handle makes no sense at all.

Yeah, the EL02B I had was definately a little lacking in the ergos department. The axis studs were a little on the sharp side.

Best:
-Fixed: CRK Professional soldier
-Folder: Benchmade 940

Worst (that I own)
-Fixed: home-made Puuko
-Folder: Kershaw Blast

Most comfortable folder for me is the BM mini grip.
Worst folder would be the Spydero Dialex Junior.

I own Hinderers, CRKs, and William Henrys, and the best ergo's of all my knives belong to: Caly 3 sprint run with CF scales, SS bolster, and damascus blade. Just fits perfectly in my hand. The other knives aren't bad, either. The Caly is just superb.

IMG_0045_zps26c50c5b.jpg

Most ergonomic for me would be tie between the Emerson Commander (feels like a huge claw grew out of my palm) and the Spyderco Sage I (my only Sage) which has so many very comfortable gripping positions.

Least would be a SAK.

Folders only for me.
Best; Emerson Horseman & Benchmade Presidio 520
Worst; Southard flipper (blade tip too close to end of handle when closed) too many cuts when reaching for it.
Cheers

Maybe theres something wrong with your southard. I just tried rubbing my finger really hard on the tip with knife closed and i wasnt even close to cutting myself. Thats strange

I only have literally 4 knives at the moment, but I can remember a few I've owned that stood out.

Best folder: ZT 0200
Best fixed: RTAK II

Worst folder: Benchmade 940
Worst fixed: Boker Kwaito

Folders: Emerson, Strider SnG, Willumsen Tuco, Case Sodbuster, AG Russell Cowboy, Black Bear Knives Metro Razor, Warren Thomas M2.
Fixed Blade: Bob Dozier, hands down!

Best: Strider DDC SnG CC and Cold Steel Rajah lll
Worst: None. Got rid of them all.

I realized a few years back that there is a big difference between fondling and squeezing a knife and actually doing some white knuckle cutting. I thought a knife like my ESEE3 would surely blow away a knife like my Lego SnG because the ESEE is rounded and smooth and the Lego SnG is very blocky. Through lots and lots of unnecessary wood cutting I found the SnG to be the less fatiguing knife because it didn't have to be squeezed as hard to get controlled cutting. However, the Large Sebenza 21 or 25 are the most comfortable I have. I WOULD say my Shirogorov 95 because it has an excellent handle but I have not used it to cut anything very stiff.

For fixed blades I'm really liking my Boye Basic 3 with a single layer cord wrap. Strider SA-GG with the scales sanded down a bit is excellent as well.

The worst for me have been the BM Large Grip (I've had 550 & Gold Class)...worst clip placement ever... and CRK's one piece knives. Reeeaally don't like very rounded, and in this case completely round handles.

Best: Al Mar SERE Operator (Fixed)
Worse: OKC Rat 5/7. I love these knives for the woods, but the blocky micarta slabs are quite uncomfortable. Some light grinding with the dremmel and a little hockey tape on them and they're tolerable.

1.Stretch 2.Bunch of other Spydercos... One of the reasons why I like the brand is that they pay EXTRA attention to details such as ergos.

I would say that the most comfortable folder that I own, is a Buck 110, followed closely by an Emerson A-100.

For a fixed, a Mora Bushcraft.

I can't think of any 'worst' knives that I own.

for folding it would have to be benchmade 741 onslaught, umnumzaan
for fixed zt121

the worst egos
kershaw leek folding
global santuko ( its sharper on the spine then the cutting edge)

Last edited:
i don't own many...in fact only 3 haha.

the best would be the spyderco dragonfly. i have pretty small hands and it fits absolutely perfectly.

the worst is...oddly enough my paramilitary 2. since i have small hands, it's not as ergonomically good as my dfly and leek. however, it's not knocking on the pm2, it's still a great knife in my hand and i love it to death.

Best folder: Spyderco Stretch CF ZDP
Best Fixed blade: Spyderco Bushcrafter

Worst: Folder: Tie- Some model number unknown Kabar D2 aluminium grip. The opening tab was sharp, the knife was a bear to open. It would blister my finger after only 5 or so openings

2nd. Cold steel tri fold in Aus 10. The aluminium was soft, the whole thing sticky and yet loose at the same time.

Worst: Fixed blade - Bear OPS C-100-CB2-P

Back