What's up around here (update)

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
The new (old) Mori has been coming on line intermittently as we've been dialing it in for our process (tightening it up with fresh bearings on the ball screws, bumping up the memory for our big-ass programs, running down oil and air leaks etc). Losing the Pig (an old box way Bridgeport machining center that we've had a long time and loved) was disruptive but things are starting to churn again. Our primary Mori Seiki and the old Romi have been running over time making up the slack. The Kia has been sitting idle waiting on someone to feed it some micarta...

The new "pig" (what we've been calling this "new" old Mori from the paleolithic era that we just got) is starting to pull some weight. Looking forward I'm excited about the new work that will start coming out at the end of this year.

We sent about 90 EDC out to heat treat last week and have another 100 almost ready to go. Some of these have a swedge. These will be the last of this pattern. I'm either retiring it or we may revisit it again in the future but we've made a lot of them and it's time to move on.

The remaining Competition Choppers went out to heat treat today.

The first of the Behemoth Choppers are going out to heat treat in about a week. Once that pre-order is filled we'll open up a pre-order for MC and HC.

The next batch of HDFK is also going to start finishing up soon. Once that pre-order is filled we'll open up a pre-order for a mid-sized knife, probably the new Field Knife.

A limited run of a few Utility Fighters will be going onto a machine in a few weeks.

Immediately after that will be a good sized run of the new Field Knife 2.

We're expecting the new DEK1 from Lorien soon. We'll be testing and tweaking it and hope to see it start production hopefully by the turn of the year.

There is a production dagger and a folder on the whiteboard

Oh man.
lzUs1sg.gif
Oh wow.
stM0aku.gif

Liking everything I hear. Need that swedged EDC, FK2, all the UF, and Lorien's DEK.
7Z5jvIl.png

Dagger and Folder???
lzUs1sg.gif
lzUs1sg.gif
lzUs1sg.gif
lzUs1sg.gif
lzUs1sg.gif
lzUs1sg.gif
lzUs1sg.gif
lzUs1sg.gif
lzUs1sg.gif

Last edited:
It's been quiet around these parts. Been waiting on a bomb to drop..... and here it is... BOOM! :D:eek:

Excited to hear about the progress. So much going on behind the Carothers scenes I can't begin to imagine. Glad to hear you guys seem to have everything about sorted and running smoothly. Have a Great weekend all!

I got to use my training edge CC last weekend for new training and my first competition. It.Was.A.Beast. Goes thru a 2" rope, golf ball, 10 water bottles like they weren't there.

No pics as it's off getting some pants. Thanks Nathan and Jo for the extra hard work getting it ready in time.

Last edited:
Once that pre-order is filled we'll open up a pre-order for a mid-sized knife, probably the new Field Knife.

Awesome, I'll have my preorder HDFK just it time for the next preorder. After missing secondary market FKs multiples times by few minutes nothing could be better news. Now how about a small preorder batch of potato knives while the DEK is ramping up? 8)

Thank GOD that Production Dagger and Folder are only on the whiteboard!!! :eek:

I need time to pay a few things off before Nathan unleashes these "must have" CPK Blades!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D --- :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back