What's your favorite Bushcraft blade right now?

I third the Spyderco Bushcraft accolades. They really picked the right group of folks to help them with that design and the handles are ridiculously comfortable. Best $90 I've ever spent on a knife.

attachment.php

Thanks for asking. I'm sure if I bought this directly from Mark it would have been plenty sharp, but I bought it used and there were some minor edge issues.

If you look at the picture you can see some degradation of the edge around, what I guess I'd call, it's carving sweet spot. It wasn't horrible, but certainly a little rough and while it cut cut hanging printer paper, it got hung up on news print when I was first checking out. When I did a quick test on wood, it also wasn't working the way one would expect.

I first tried stropping it out on the belt sander with the leather belt, but that didn't work well enough, so I took it to the wet stones. After a bit of work, it is now has a nice zero degree scandi edge and is cutting like a laser. :thumbup:

I have 2 from Mark. Like the both.

The smaller one despite what I would consider to be a harder to grind blade shape had a near perfect, razor sharp scandi grind on it.

The larger one had a bit of a convex grind to the scandi grind. Then it looked like he had a bit of trouble getting the two sides to meet up and finished it with a secondary grind that sort of varied from thinner on the blade to fairly steep on the tip.

The smaller one was ready to use right away but I've gradually worked on the larger one over time to diminish the convex and get rid of the secondary.

Another interesting thing is the edge retention. The smaller one I can whittle thru wood and cut with it a long time and it will still remain really sharp. The second seems to stay REASONABLY sharp but loses it's razor edge much more quickly than the smaller one. I'm not sure if it's a difference in tempering or just because I haven't got the edge totally straightened out yet.

sheaths6.jpg

Fiddleback Recluse (custom Wenge wood with tapered tang).
But I just got this sucker in the mail today, and durn if it isn't great feeling in the hand.

P1020349.jpg

Thickness: .165”
Blade Length: 4.25”
Overall Length: 9.25”
Grind: Full Height
Edge: "Blended Zero" (Busse talk for convex)

My current favorite is my newest Brian Andrews (but it still has that new knife smell).

DSC_0039.jpg

But I still like my bitterroot when I want to go more compact (yet still have a 4" blade)

DSC_0003-23.jpg

At the moment my favorite is the BCNW-O1, Mike made one up for me in Lignum Vitae wood, absolutely love the design, and the knife is so comfortable, a great user.

P6010246.jpg

P6010248.jpg

New Mike Griffin's take on the Mora design (thin blade stock, comfy round scales) in 1095 and redwood burl. I'll post a quick review when I get to take her for a spin.

5756101005_6e79b7ede9_z.jpg

5756101519_f6a7b34186_z.jpg

5756101691_02b565035a_z.jpg

5786801799_8ba7f2a4b1_z.jpg

New Mike Griffin's take on the Mora design (thin blade stock, comfy round scales) in 1095 and redwood burl. I'll post a quick review when I get to take her for a spin.

That one really came out nice, I bet it will be a pure joy to use it :thumbup:

That one really came out nice, I bet it will be a pure joy to use it :thumbup:

Can't wait! Mike is super humble, very talented and willing to email drawings for days to get what I wanted just right.
TKnife, I really enjoy reading your posts, looking at your pics, and you always have a nice word to say. I've a feeling you're one of the good guys in this world.

Can't wait! Mike is super humble, very talented and willing to email drawings for days to get what I wanted just right.
TKnife, I really enjoy reading your posts, looking at your pics, and you always have a nice word to say. I've a feeling you're one of the good guys in this world.

Thanks man I appreciate that. I think you'll find most everyone on here to be a friendly and knowledgable bunch. If they weren't, I probably wouldn't have stayed here so long :)

Not known as a bushcraft blade, but my Extrema Ratio Shrapnel OG. It's just the right size, holds an edge and is my most constant outdoor companion.

Tough call, if I answer tomorrow it might be a different one. Today it's this one:
11-21-09007.jpg

Tomorrow it could be this
11-1-09004.jpg

Or this
11-21-09010.jpg

Iv started using this one i made ill get some pics when im out with it:thumbup:

2005_03080063.jpg
[/IMG]

Iv started using this one i made ill get some pics when im out with it:thumbup:

2005_03080063.jpg
[/IMG]

Wow...that one's awesome....more pics and specs please !:eek::thumbup:

Hey Bondy just noticed where ya live buddy, I used to live only a good stones throw away in Mansfield. Worked at one of the last remaining coal mines till I emigrated here 5 years ago.

Mine right now would have to come down between my Tops Mohawk Hunter and Ontario TAK-1.

These two have been on me pretty much constantly since I got them. Around town, in the woods, in the house. The Canadian Special is awesome. I highly recommend it to anyone who doesn't have one.

0604111452a.jpg

0604111454b.jpg

Cheers pit, next time your over here come visit the workshop.
the knife as black micarta scales red liners. 81/2 overall . heres a couple of pics from yesterday:thumbup:
2005_0524chloe110005.jpg
[/IMG]

2005_0524chloe110008.jpg
[/IMG]

Back