What's your go-to, beat up cutting tool?

EngrSorenson

Noticed by Senpai
Platinum Member
I spend too much time making a pristine edge on my prized knives just to go willy-nilly cutting reams of cardboard, yards of carpet or hacking through electrical wire. Instead I reach for a "Milwaukee" brand flip open box-cutter/utility knife, or at the very least the SAK in my left pocket.

It's not as satisfying as using my more favored knives for the rough jobs, and I'd have no problem using one if I had no other choice, but I'd rather diminish the knives that are easily replaced.

So what do you use?

I just call it my "shit-knife". One that you just don't worry if gets dirty and damaged.

It hangs in the kitchen, ready to be misused.

A Mora 510

cmLiWDMl.jpg

Sod45A3l.jpg

I'm the third generation in my family to own and use this utility knife. It actually still has petrified grime on the handle from both my fathers hand and my grandfathers hand. It gets used for most of my home cutting chores these days (cardboard, cutting tape/opening packages, etc).

How cheap am I? I sharpen the blades when they get dull.

wqMaqHj.jpg

These 2 have seen more house projects that I can count. I have a rusty Mora somewhere too that sees a lot of outdoor-around-the-house chores.
Your picture left me with more questions than answers- what's that stump of a fixed blade, and what happened that that Benchmade?
I just call it my "shit-knife". One that you just don't worry if gets dirty and damaged.

It hangs in the kitchen, ready to be misused.

A Mora 510
In some ways, I appreciate the abuser knives. They don't get much attention and they still do an important job. I'd say a Mora is a perfect choice.
I'm the third generation in my family to own and use this utility knife.
honestly, that's the most attractive utility knife I've seen in a long time. I'd be proud to use something like that.

Ha. Yea, they are ugggly. That stump is some sharpened piece of 01 steel that came with another 01 fixed blade my father in law got me for Christmas. It works wonders on carpet / padding removal.
The Benchmade fell out of my pocket into a campfire; I used a soldering iron to try to cover up the damage and allow it to close. The tip broke off trying to pull staples from a picture frame and I rounded it off with the KO WorkSharp.
I keep trying to kill them but they wont die; that 01 tool shank will be here after the apocalypse.

The serrated blade on my Leatherman Wave is my great workhorse. Once in a while, I just need to use a ceramic rod to sharpen it, and it is back like new.

My ultimate line of defense are four Hultafors GK knives, which can take hammering with a metal hammer and cut through softer metals. Also a 14C28N fixed blade that lives in my EDC backpack. I don't hesitate to do anything with these guys. I keep them sharp.

380020%20.jpg_Original_637293635569330000.jpg

For carpets and other man made and natural fibers I use serrated Spyderco Salts: Caribbean, Tasman, Native. I often carry a SE Dragonfly as a secondary knife, just so I can preserve the edge on the primary knife with a PE.

For thin wire I use a Victorinox Spirit or dedicated snips. I guess I could baton wire with the can opener of any SAK in a pinch, or use the metal file.
The "kiridashi" on the Spirit is also great at cutting plastic, including thick policarbonate (lexan) roofing material.

The Inkosi Insingo is great at cutting thick leather, and the Chaparral and the Caribbean shepsfoot SE are my cardboard champions.

What's your go-to, beat up cutting tool?

I don't beat up any of my goodies, but I do carry a screwpop utility knife with a carbide blade. I use that sucker on cardboard, etc., which constitutes most of knife usage (Amazon boxes, etc.). Its tiny in the pocket, but super useful. Carbide stays sharp forever, and when necessary flip it around to the other end of the blade to get a new edge or replace it altogether.

3585kxS.jpg

Its the silver thing on the top left.

The "concrete" knife was born just a few months ago...

Was having difficulty getting sacks of pre-mix open with just my hands so I put this to use...

It's now the official "beater" knife of the household.

Love it.

enVePDu.jpg

FpGkn4y.jpg

I almost bought one of those before but read some comments that they are difficult to sharpen. Can you get a fine edge on your Strongarm?

Back