What's your go-to, beat up cutting tool?

👍 nice. I’ve had that knife on my wishlist for a long time, I was wondering how do you like the S110V compared to say, S35 or 20CV ?
It‘s not easy to sharpen (took me forever to raise a burr…I had to get pretty aggressive about it) but it keeps a working edge forever too.

In my hands it’s easier to bring back a smooth razor edge with S35 or 204p…so I prefer those for a balanced EDC. But the toothy working edge of S110V just seems to keep going and going.

30+ years and still rockin..

cardboard come on.. :cool:

hPDyyDXl.jpg

I have a few knives I don’t use, but I use all the rest for anything and everything.
That’s probably the way it should be- I notice you have something from Busse all the way to Case. You never cringe when you have to do some rough cutting with Case’s CV? Mine never stood up to much abuse before going back to a stone.

That’s probably the way it should be- I notice you have something from Busse all the way to Case. You never cringe when you have to do some rough cutting with Case’s CV? Mine never stood up to much abuse before going back to a stone.

Damn right. Life’s too short. Use your sh!t!

Nope, I never hesitate to use Case’s CV for anything. It does get dinged up, but sharpens like buttah, baby.😁

My ol lady once used that sodbuster to carve a Jack-o-lantern and put it up in a cabinet. I found it two years later full of dried pumpkin guts. I cleaned it up, sharpened it up, thanked my wife for the nice patina, and right back in the pocket it went.

It’s opened tons of bags of sand, quikrete, mulch, etc. A sharpen and dab o’ oil here and there and she keeps right on kickin’.

I just call it my "shit-knife". One that you just don't worry if gets dirty and damaged.

It hangs in the kitchen, ready to be misused.

A Mora 510

cmLiWDMl.jpg

Sod45A3l.jpg
I get it. My shit knife is abused, rough and ready for about anything. The edge is so chipped that occasional sharpening almost takes out the semi serrations. I probably have or had about 20 Moras, but I keep grabbing this one for most anything. Not the greatest slicer, but good enough as a tough as hell beater.
x5GADaf.jpg

I spend too much time making a pristine edge on my prized knives just to go willy-nilly cutting reams of cardboard, yards of carpet or hacking through electrical wire. Instead I reach for a "Milwaukee" brand flip open box-cutter/utility knife, or at the very least the SAK in my left pocket.

It's not as satisfying as using my more favored knives for the rough jobs, and I'd have no problem using one if I had no other choice, but I'd rather diminish the knives that are easily replaced.

So what do you use?

Truth be told, if I'm cutting a bunch of cardboard, I'm likely to get out a couple of knives so I can make comparisons. (I'm a knife knut. It's to be expected.)
But for really scuzzy indoor jobs such as cutting carpet, a razor knife.
For outdoor dirty jobs like when I am clearing brush, a Cold Steel pocket bushman.

Truth be told, if I'm cutting a bunch of cardboard, I'm likely to get out a couple of knives so I can make comparisons. (I'm a knife knut. It's to be expected.)
I think that’s also your engineer showing through! :thumbsup:

Back