What's your latest Schrade? START DATE 3/18

Yeah that was my one deal. Don't think it will ever happen again.

I have been searching the old threads trying to figure out a date for the 885UH I just got. It's Spey and Sheepsfoot blades are marked UH and it has steel liners instead of brass. I am guessing this is a fairly early version to have a serial number G2565. Does anyone know about when this would have been made.

Is the tang stamp Schrade Walden, or just Schrade? It should be right around the time they switched in '72-'73, or possibly 1974.

Tang stamp is
Schrade
NY USA
885UH

I was thinking it had to be close to the end of the Walden era

Thanks

It has taken some time to try and answer this question.
My earlest [1973 first of the UH885] has a very lone nail pull, brass liners with "jimping" and very low serial number.
The tang stamp is NY.U.S.A.the other blades are stamped "Stainless".
This is a mint knife, without box or paper-work.
I have seen an 885UH blade stamped "Walden".

The next early UH885 in my collection, came in a brown box with red insert and paper-work.
Long nail pull [not as long a the first on] early serial number starting with an "A" - NY.U.S.A tang stamp, blads are stamped "UH".
My gess would make your knife, "made in 1974-75."

The next early UH885 in my collection, came in a brown box with a blue insert and paper-work.
The tang is stamped "Schrade+ U.S.A." no other blades are stamped.
Funy thing about this knife is, the "7880" serial number.

I have tryed to answer your question because, as you say - 'It's hard to find infomation on the early 885UH knives... Ken

If you look hard you will find one of my 886UH knive, below.

medium

medium

Yeah that was my one deal. Don't think it will ever happen again.

I have been searching the old threads trying to figure out a date for the 885UH I just got. It's Spey and Sheepsfoot blades are marked UH and it has steel liners instead of brass. I am guessing this is a fairly early version to have a serial number G2565. Does anyone know about when this would have been made.

Tang stamp is
Schrade
NY USA
885UH

I was thinking it had to be close to the end of the Walden era

Thanks

Last edited:
Thank you so much. That does indeed answer my question. This is my first 885UH with a serial number. It has become a grail knife for me. I don't see many 885's and am just amazed that I stumbled upon it. Guess it was just meant to be mine. Never know what you will find at the Flea Market. But I have been going there almost every weekend for years and have only seen a handful of these. If that many.

Thanks again for your knowledge and help.

Ken, the first time the 885UH shows up in a Schrade Catalog is the 1970 Schrade Walden Line. I have seen SW stamped 885s on line (not in person).

I have seen an 885UH with the Walden Tang stamp, it is hard to understand when it was made.
I believe the first 885UHs would have been the knives with the gimping on the liners.
Heaven only know "what and when - came out of the Schrade factory"

Did you see the 886UH in my last post. Tang Stamped S.C.C. Ken.
medium

sometimes you just get what you want. love the 227UH. it is my carrier on my bike. it is surprising at how long the edge stays sharp too.

I like that 886UH. I found one in a pawn shop. Took some
searching to figure that one out. But now I know. 2 handle pins and S.C.C. 886UH Camillus made for Schrade. Nice knife. Wish mine was mint but it is a survivor.

And you all have given me hope in one day finding a Walden 885UH.

Oh the joy of the HUNT. Never know when asking to see one what you will find on the tang. Hopefully a Walden will show itself.

I found another 885UH at the Flea Market today. Newer made no serial number. But it is marked
Schrade+
USA 885UH

And just the sheeps foot blade looks like a carbon blade. I have heard of them having carbon blades sometimes. I will have to cut an apple and find out for sure. I would guess end of days Knife.

My latest is a 72OT, pictured here with a 12OT that I've had for a long while. I also picked up a 33OT at the same time, but don't have any pics of it yet.
zxrwjHD.jpg

My latest is a 72OT, pictured here with a 12OT that I've had for a long while. I also picked up a 33OT at the same time, but don't have any pics of it yet.
zxrwjHD.jpg

I’ve never seen saw cuts that go both ways to basically make checking on a knife that fine before. I wonder if it was something special or if someone did it themselves?

I’ve never seen saw cuts that go both ways to basically make checking on a knife that fine before. I wonder if it was something special or if someone did it themselves?
I didn't notice it until you pointed it out. Its a trick of light. Up close and in person the cuts all go one way. Looks the same as other Schrades. As an aside, Schrade's brown, sawcut has always been my favorite Delrin. Looks good, feels good in the hand.

zxrwjHD.jpg
This ACB72 is one of Schrade's knives, that never made it to production.
The ACB 8 [an 8 OT] was due to be sold in early 2004.
The ACB 72 [a version of the 72 OT] was due for sale in September 2004.
The set of four ACB knives, had "Rope cut bone handles".
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/app.php/gallery/image/7640
This is the only 72OT I have ever seen, with white scales.
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/app.php/gallery/image/5796

Last edited:
Back