What's your newest Buck knife

jbmonkey jbmonkey your patience and diplomacy is inspiring. I tend to "drop the gloves" a little too quickly but you always remain a gentleman. 👍
naw, you're too kind. we do have a lot of Canadians down here in florida helping to teach us how to be civilized, well behaved, nice and decent. we got a lot to learn though.😆

jbmonkey jbmonkey I went back to look at the post. You said 'if using a hosting site' I took it wrong, perhaps he did too. I need things spelled out for me, even then, it might take several attempts:rolleyes:

The tale of two knife companies warranty service:

Last week, I sent a Spyderco and a Buck to their respective headquarters for sharpening. One was my newest Buck GCK butter knife received last week and the other was a Spyderco Native 5 FRN S35VN.

I checked the tracking and both knives arrived at their facilities this Monday.

On Tuesday, I received the tracking notice from UPS for the Spyderco knife that was shipped via UPS Blue Label to me. It arrived today with a nearly perfect edge. Not even a week turnaround!

On Wednesday, I received an email from Buck warranty that they received my knife (which was actually received Monday). It has still not been sharpened and shipped.

This, I believe, is a good example showing the levels of service of two knife companies. Apples to apples.

Last week, I sent a Spyderco and a Buck to their respective headquarters for sharpening. One was my newest Buck GCK butter knife received last week and the other was a Spyderco Native 5 FRN S35VN.

On Tuesday, I received the tracking notice from UPS for the Spyderco knife that was shipped via UPS Blue Label to me. It arrived today with a nearly perfect edge. Not even a week turnaround!

On Wednesday, I received an email from Buck warranty that they received my knife (which was actually received Monday). It has still not been sharpened and shipped.

This, I believe, is a good example showing the levels of service of two knife companies. Apples to apples.

I have never used Buck's warranty service, because I never had a Buck knife that required warranty repair. On the other hand, I've sent four Spydercos in for repairs. Two had defective locks, one repeatedly opened in my pocket and one had scissors that wouldn't cut. They reluctantly replaced one knife, the others were sharpened and returned to me without any attention to my requested repair and no explanation from Spyderco. I still buy Buck knives, Spyderco, not so much.

You could walk in and they fix while you wait.

I have never used Buck's warranty service, because I never had a Buck knife that required warranty repair. On the other hand, I've sent four Spydercos in for repairs. Two had defective locks, one repeatedly opened in my pocket and one had scissors that wouldn't cut. They reluctantly replaced one knife, the others were sharpened and returned to me without any attention to my requested repair and no explanation from Spyderco. I still buy Buck knives, Spyderco, not so much.
What type of buck knives and lock types do you buy?

Maybe Jeff H can chime in if someone asks him other than myself. Chris B would fire him if he did talk to me.

What type of buck knives and lock types do you buy?
My Bucks are mostly 112s and the 500 series, so I prefer lock backs. I have myself 99% convinced that I need a 110, I don't know why. The locks that I sent to Spyderco for warranty were a compression lock that opened in my pocket and shredded my trousers (but not my hand or leg, thankfully), a liner lock that closed like a slip joint and a back lock with a rocker bar that didn't seat properly into the blade. Altogether, those were pretty scary knives. I never had an issue like that with a Buck back lock, just sayin'.

I was curious. With spyderco building different type locks than buck. The lock back is definitely 99.99 fool proof due to the design. I have a Spyderco lockback and it is as solid as Bucks but I think most are due to design.

My Bucks are mostly 112s and the 500 series, so I prefer lock backs. I have myself 99% convinced that I need a 110, I don't know why. The locks that I sent to Spyderco for warranty were a compression lock that opened in my pocket and shredded my trousers (but not my hand or leg, thankfully), a liner lock that closed like a slip joint and a back lock with a rocker bar that didn't seat properly into the blade. Altogether, those were pretty scary knives. I never had an issue like that with a Buck back lock, just sayin'.

Allow me to assist: everyone needs at least one Buck 110, hence you need a Buck 110.

You're welcome!

Really depends on so many variables. Time of year, current production runs, people being out, ect....

Both companies have amazing cs, but I've had to wait a month to get a Spyderco back before (that was a while ago). Point is that even with a wait, both companies will take care of you.

I was curious. With spyderco building different type locks than buck. The lock back is definitely 99.99 fool proof due to the design. I have a Spyderco lockback and it is as solid as Bucks but I think most are due to design.
The Spyderco lock back that I had issue with was from about 30 years ago. I think their current lock backs are very well executed. I will say this about Spyderco, they don't let grass grow under their feet. They have improved their products and they seem to have addressed the problems that I had with improved designs. They did not, however, address my problems through warranty.

99% is still an A! Go for it!
Yesterday, my brother gave me a 110 that he bought in 1993 and never used. He said the sale price was so tempting, that he bought a knife that he didn't need. Go figure, I've never done anything like that.:rolleyes: I offered to pay for it, but he said it was a trade for the 501 that I gave his wife years ago. I'll post pictures later, right now I'm taking it in the crawl space while I repair the sump pump. After 28 years in a dresser drawer, it's ready to go to work.

Back