What's your workout and why?

BMCGear

Gold Member
The last few years I've changed my diet and lost a significant amount of weight. 2020 I'm adding fitness and weight training specifically in to drop the rest and build muscle.

I'm curious what you do for a weight routine and why? Do you lift to failure or no?

I got into working out a few years ago after a motorcycle accident. I was never really out of shape, per se’, but I didn’t take an active role in being in shape. I was always the skinny kid growing up, and at 6’1” and only about 165-170 lbs, I was kinda lanky. I was always active (hiking, biking, etc), but not really strong.

Anyway, I tried a couple of free gym memberships, but with work, kids, and the hustle of daily life, I could never find the time to actually get to the gym. Couldn’t go before work, due to getting the family off to school and work. Couldn’t do it right after work because 5-8 pm was when they were busiest. And didn’t want to go after the evening rush, because it just got too late for me, and still fulfill family obligations, or take care of household chores.

What I ended up doing was buying a home gym set-up, which for me meant a Bowflex unit initially. Now, I go down to the basement whenever I want, and workout anywhere between 30-60 minutes, 4 times a week. I’ve also accumulated a treadmill (hate it, but the wife loves it), a spin-bike (love it), and a couple of pull-up bars. Over the last 3 years, I’ve put on 15 lbs of muscle, and at 47, I’m in the best shape of my life.

My routine usually consists of 10-15 minutes of cardio on the bike, then 30-60 minutes of weight training on the Bowflex. I’ll also throw in some pull-ups and body-weight exercises (push-ups, sit-ups, burpees, etc). At least once a week, I’ll put a full 45 min of cardio on the bike. And once the weather breaks, I’ll get the mountain bike out, and put on 5-10 miles on the road or trails, as time permits.

Weight wise, I push myself with reps, instead of going to failure. I’ve maxed out many of my exercises, as far as weight goes, so the only way to get to failure is by reps. And even then, I much prefer to go for a full body workout than focusing on size of any particular muscle group.

Im no fitness guru by any stretch of the imagination. I’m also not a body builder. But I can tell you what i’ve learned to this point:

Results take time and dedication. You gotta force yourself to keep on it, even when it’s been a long day and you just want to be lazy. You can skip a workout here and there, but don’t let it become habit.

Your choice of exercises and equipment is less important than doing the work. Get up and start doing it, even if you’re just working with your own body weight. You can find the equipment that works for you as you develop, and figure out what your goals are. Heck, you can do basic curls with gallon milk jugs filled with water - 8lbs is 8lbs and your body doesn’t care if it’s dumbells, milk jugs, or Home Depot buckets filled with bricks - the muscles will respond to the work you put in.

If you want to put on any mass, you gotta take mass in. This was hard for me. I have a fairly fast metabolism to begin with, compounded with the fact that I’m not a huge eater. When I started, I was working on a calorie deficit. I had to force myself to eat more in order to put on some mass.

Set some realistic goals. For me it was a target weight. Once I hit that, I bumped the target up some. Bit it can be anything - body weight, waist size, muscle mass, or whatever - just make them achievable. Once you hit them, set new ones.

Take pictures. When I started, I took a photo in the mirror every week. From one week to the next, I couldn’t see much difference, but when I compared the first photos to ones 4 weeks, 8 weeks, or 6 months out, I was amazed at how much I’d accomplished. This also applies to tracking your weight, BMI, reps, or anything else you wanna track. Being able to look back and see the results over time is a great way to keep you motivated.

Realize that you will go through peaks and valleys, and hit plateaus. The first month or so, you’ll most likely see big results (providing you’re doing the work), but eventually you’ll hit a wall for a bit. This is completely natural, but can be a bit discouraging when you go for a few weeks without any gains. It just means your body has found a natural balance for the work you’re doing, the calories you’re taking in, and your metabolism. At this point, you can either continue doing what you’re doing, and simply maintain, or change things up a bit to keep progressing. Do heavier or more reps. Eat more. Add more cardio. Or just change the routine.

Finally, research what you want to accomplish. I’m constantly Googling ideas for new workouts, reading magazines for tips and hints, or just asking people I know for what is working for them. I take it all in, and figure out what works for me and what doesn’t.

Don’t know how much of this you already know, or how much it helps, but good luck with it. I know it’s more than you asked for, so take it as just my journey for what worked for me. The big thing is, if you take nothing else away from my long winded post, is just get started and take it from there. If it’s not working, make some adjustments until it does.

If your new to lifting then you need a whole body work out program that only does compound movements for about 6 months.

Al the fancy stuff is BS to part you with your money.

You also need a proper qualified strength coach to show you correct form, stay away from cross fit or every personal trainer.

For the best start for a new guy find a Mark Rippletoe "Starting Strength" gym and do the 5x5 program.

If your new to lifting then you need a whole body work out program that only does compound movements for about 6 months.

Al the fancy stuff is BS to part you with your money.

You also need a proper qualified strength coach to show you correct form, stay away from cross fit or every personal trainer.

For the best start for a new guy find a Mark Rippletoe "Starting Strength" gym and do the 5x5 program.

This ^

Starting Strength is a must. It will build a strong foundation and will teach you proper form. I don't think you really need a specific strength trainer IMO. Just start and progress slow. Watch lots of videos on proper technique. SS will seem easy right at first as the weights will be light. But, give it time. Before long you will be lifting some serious weight. The key to the program is starting light in that it builds a foundation for your strength. You body gets used to the the weight slowly and methodically. A lot of people try to lift to much to quickly and end up injuring themselves and lose interest.

I have been power lifting for around 15 years now and I still keep it simple with limited lifts. My main lifts are Barbell Squats, Deadlifts, Bench, Overhead Press and Barbell Row. I also work in push ups, dips and pull ups, lunges and back extensions. I rarely do bicep and tricep work as the lifts mentioned above will give them plenty of attention. I also don't do core work. Doing push ups, deadlifts and squats are all your core needs. Trust me!

The above is if you're concerned about having a good overall strong functional foundation with overall strength and are not concerned with a more "body builder" type result. I'm a big husky guy that will never be mistaken for a body builder but I have great functional everyday strength. When you're 70, you won't care if you can curl 75 lbs but having a strong lower body, back, shoulders and core will benefit you more than you could ever imagine.

5 years ago, I was doing crazy weights but with age (49), I have toned it down quite a bit. I backed off the weight but still keep my lifts simple. I can still push myself every now and then and bump up the weight but the recovery is what gets me. Getting old sucks! LOL.

So, start out with Starting Strength. You can run that program for a good while. After that, there are a lot of similar programs you can run that are more advanced.

Totally forgot I started this thread. With that being said I have started at the gym doing sets and have felt incredible. I'm looking into Starting Strength now.

25 burpees a day when I wake up, 25 burpees when I get home from work. Just missed having the body I had in my teens and twenties. Progress is slow but coming along.

What’s a burpee?

I haven’t done anything in years and my 260lb+ body shows it.

I recently went to my doctor to have my shoulder checked out before I start any work out.
Between my back and my shoulder I’m in pretty sad shape. I figured if I start working out I can lose some of the weight and my back should feel better.

I get to go back in on the 26th of this month for them to shove a needle in my shoulder and fill it full of steroids. I’m not looking forward to it.

What’s a burpee?

I haven’t done anything in years and my 260lb+ body shows it.

I recently went to my doctor to have my shoulder checked out before I start any work out.
Between my back and my shoulder I’m in pretty sad shape. I figured if I start working out I can lose some of the weight and my back should feel better.

I get to go back in on the 26th of this month for them to shove a needle in my shoulder and fill it full of steroids. I’m not looking forward to it.

Take it slowly man.

The last few years I've changed my diet and lost a significant amount of weight. 2020 I'm adding fitness and weight training specifically in to drop the rest and build muscle.

I'm curious what you do for a weight routine and why? Do you lift to failure or no?
BMC... If you need any help on how or what to do, why even.. including certain diets, then def hit me up. I did Muay Thai and sparred for a living, cutting weight, bulking up, etc, is my thingl! Lol! Thank God I can walk around at a reg 185 now lol! Seriously, brother.. you have any questions then holler at me. Our body's need this kinda stuff as we are getting older brother. Have a great day today BMC and whomever else reads this. Choke this day out, peeps!

If you're easing into things I recommend swimming if you have access to a pool. It provides a good combination of resistance and cardio and it's very low impact. It's also very simple to make it as hard or easy a workout as you want.

I am not in good shape and shouldn't be offering advice to anyone. With that said, I will.

I have been doing DDP Yoga at least a couple times a week for a couple of years. My flexibility has improved so much. It is basically a no-impact body weight and isometric work out with some yoga poses thrown in. It was originally called Yoga for Real Guys. I have bad arthritis and this has helped a lot. I should be doing it every day. As I tell my wife, nothing hurts bad enough to stop me from doing what I HAVE to do but everything hurts enough so that I don't WANT to do much.

The back story is even better. Diamond Dallas Page was an old wrestler who hurt his back and was told his career was over. His then wife got him into trying a few yoga stretches and he added some push ups, etc. and started this exercise. He was able to get back into the ring. Although pro wrestling is scripted, its terrible hard on the body.

He also has saved the life (literally) of a couple of old wrestling buddies like Scott Hall and Jake "the Snake" Roberts, who were alcoholics and drug users and he moved them into his house and helped them. Pro wrestling is generally seen as a somewhat shady business, but I've never heard anything about DDP to suggest that he is not the real deal.

Monday heavy compound movements like bench press, incline press, etc. Thursday higher reps or circuit training.
Run 5 days a week. Sometimes Sunday too. Heavy bag on Wednesday (at home). Calisthenics Tuesday and Friday. I'm a big believer in cardio. The heart is the most important muscle. Weight training too. Anaerobic exercise increases white blood cells which boost the immune system. I was a sickly child but have never had anything worse than a cold in my adult life.
Always trained to be better. As a young man I was a soldier and peak fitness was a must for the job. The other reason is for the ladies.
Nothing like large pecs and defined abs to attract the hotties. A bit egotistical but it is what it is.

For those of you with weights at home, how do you do it? How many reps, how much weight, how long? Until you can't lift anymore that day?

Never been one for lifting because my job has made me in fairly good shape, but I want more, so I bought about 220 pounds of weights a while ago.

How you lift depends on what kind of results you want to see, brother. I max out.. about 5 reps, 6 sets... On my last set I can do about 1 solid good slow rep. I just want to stay strong, and I keep my calorie intake which is just 2 meals a day and black coffee for breakfast cause I don't really want to put mass on. Lighter weight with more reps will always keep you tone and loose after the fact. But then diet comes into play. All depends on what results you want, Rykjek

How you lift depends on what kind of results you want to see, brother. I max out.. about 5 reps, 6 sets... On my last set I can do about 1 solid good slow rep. I just want to stay strong, and I keep my calorie intake which is just 2 meals a day and black coffee for breakfast cause I don't really want to put mass on. Lighter weight with more reps will always keep you tone and loose after the fact. But then diet comes into play. All depends on what results you want, Rykjek
Pfff... broader shoulders and bigger over arms. What every guy wants:D
I'm a bit over my ideal weight right now, but as soon as the snow melts I'm biking everywhere, so that's not a problem.

Pfff... broader shoulders and bigger over arms. What every guy wants:D
I'm a bit over my ideal weight right now, but as soon as the snow melts I'm biking everywhere, so that's not a problem.
Lol! I'd def go heavy weights, less reps, but hit up that cardio daily as you said, and a low dairy, sodium, sugar, carb.. and more lean proteins and healthy fats. Give it a month and you can come over and spar, and show me a bunch of pisser knives since I just got into the hobby and only am up to 2 knives so far lol! What would be your choice for a small edc.. Spyderco or Benchmade? I can't carry my bk10 anywhere lol

Lol! I'd def go heavy weights, less reps, but hit up that cardio daily as you said, and a low dairy, sodium, sugar, carb.. and more lean proteins and healthy fats. Give it a month and you can come over and spar, and show me a bunch of pisser knives since I just got into the hobby and only am up to 2 knives so far lol! What would be your choice for a small edc.. Spyderco or Benchmade? I can't carry my bk10 anywhere lol

So let's say I'll do 15 reps with however much weight I can cram on to my manuals, and rest until my arms don't hurt anymore?

I'll always reccomend a Spyderco PM3, but I also have a soft spot for the Benchmade Crooked River... Apples and oranges. You should try to handle some,if that's an opportunity.

I'd go 8 reps.. last one you should be burned out.. 4 to 6 sets.. every 3 days, 2x a week... 1 day of rest. Lower body other 2 days, and core and back the other 2. I'd just try different weight increments until you feel that you are maxing out around th 6th to 8th rep.

If this helps, I max out after about 5 or 6 reps.. 6 sets of each excersize.. I eat half ass clean.. and I stay around 185 to 190ish. Once you peak you'll either hover around a certain weight, or you have to up the weights and calories if you want more mass put on. Peaking for me was after around 2 months and that was only upping my weights at 5 lbs a week

Back