Who has never owned a 34OT?

Gold Member
Just a little curious. Depends on where and how you grew up as to what knives you were introduced to and what you gravitated towards. Maybe you were given a Case by your Dad or Grandad so that was what you always liked. I can’t remember why I bought my first 34OT at the Army Navy surplus store in Platteville Wisconsin all those years ago. But since then a 34OT has always been a favorite of mine. It’s small enough to not be a pain to carry, big enough to do almost anything I need a knife to do. The 3 blades give me options to cover a variety of tasks and they sharpen up rather quickly if they get dull.

So who on here has never owned one(or the Uncle Henry 834, Schrade 834)

9242-C322-15-BA-444-A-8-CC3-C093-BE6-F08-F2.jpg

I don't qualify but I come close.

I'm 57 years old and although I've seen hundreds of them in the wild, I never owned one myself until about 8 years ago when a friend at work gave me a 34OT that he found in a park on a picnic table.

Ive never owned one of them. Always had various Swiss Army and a Buck 110 laying around for home and work. Ended up purchasing modern Benchmade, Spyderco, and Kershaw knives, when I noticed some posts about GEC traditionals. So got sucked in at a much later age. Keep meaning to expand out into the Case, Old Timer, and Schrade market, but than see another GEC I have to have....

I'm afraid I do not qualify as one of those who have never owned one.

That being said, not only do I own one but it just so happens to be the very first pocket knife that my dad bought me when I was only a lad. At some point, I misplaced it or never took it with me when I left home. When my dad passed, I went through his knife drawer and discovered that he had found it and definitely put it to use...

Aside from the obvious nature of the blades, it still has some great snap all around. Some very fond memories with this knife.

KqO0OuE.jpg

I had a similar model made by Camillus and branded as a Craftsman. That was my “kids” knife that I used around my Grandpa’s farm. Luckily I still have it.

Here’s an 834 that I picked up a couple of years ago. It had a real nice “used” look to it, to include some rust and blade pitting, badly tarnished bolsters etc, so I decided to clean it up the best I could and gave it a new life.

rMATbiT.jpg

PjMYnsn.jpg

OEmLBFZ.jpg

That was the first knife I ever had. My dad gave me one when I was 12. I have no idea what ever happened to it but I sure do think about it every time someone posts a picture. I've really been tempted to get a USA made version, but I'm a little wary of the bay and it seems that's the only place to grab one. One of these days I might just because of the significance.

I've had several of them, probably still have one tucked away in a keepsake box somewhere. Haven't carried one in years though.

I've never owned one, for a bunch of reasons. One, I'm ethnic Filipino, so growing up the folding knives I was exposed to were butterfly knives. Two, my dad hated knives as he was mugged at knifepoint when he was a young man. He has never bought me a single knife, I have no idea where my love of all things sharp and shiny comes from. Three, I don't like sawcut Delrin or any synthetic really. If Schrade still made knives with their gorgeous peachseed bone fifteen years ago I most likely would have picked one up.

I have a few 34OT and 33OT still left from the Good Ole Days. I carried Old Timers exclusively for probably 15 years. They were cheap and Wal-Mart had an endless supply. I liked the 33OT a little better than the 34OT but it was close.

I have 2 of 3 I've owned since 12. We were on vacation in '81 and stopped at a hardware store for some things. Dad went to pay, spotted a 340T, and said I'll take that for my oldest. I was shocked. He said "Schrade makes good stuff, good name. That spey blade will help you skin a rabbit". Still have it tucked away for a keepsake. Bought another as an adult that got accidentally tossed out with packing moving into my and better halfs house 20 years ago. Ran out, bought another. Glad I did. Nothing wrong with them. Love that distinct "clink"sound closing a blade. Nostalgic for me.

never owned one, but in europe i grew up with swiss army knives, and i still carry one everyday

Not me. I've only ever owned one stockman, a 4" CSC model, and that was simply because it came to me as one of several knives in an auction lot. I sold it shortly after I got it.

Been there done that but a later date than you'd think. When I was a kid it was the Boulder Western that got my attention, ther were the Camillus and New York, Schrades etc but they were all from out east. I was a Western kind of guy living in California when California celebrated an old west/mexican heritage or as much as an 8 year old could celebrate. I was a Military Brat and when not quite a youth we went overseas to Europe and in Germany I was all about German Bolker, Kissing Crane and especially German Eye (I was fascinated by the blade etch). Those were very different just Post War days but I wouldn't' trade for anything. Aside from the SAK tinkerers that were constant with me well into my 40's when I picked up a couple of Bucks and maybe a Gerber before they went wild. in the 90's I used what I had and needing some kind of new blade in the 2000's reluctantly entered the "tactile" world. Wasn't informed of the whole GEC, Queen, etc lines until 2012 when I bought my first GEC. Thinking back in the time line I may have been mid 30's for my first OT, I think it was the Sharpfinger and I'm sure a 34 followed shortly so yea, I've been there done that but OT was never on my short list it was just a tool. I've had several other minor diversions but collecting never entered my mind as a hobby until I found you enablers. I have never been a case guy either.

Well, that's my contribution to the porch. Always stand out in the street and listen, might come up the steps and throw something in, thought I'd come on up and maybe not sit down but more than stand and wave as usual. You're a great bunch of guys, see you later.

Jim

The Schrade, Old Timer, and Uncle Henry brands were readily available everywhere, so that's what I had. At least until my dad found them and took them away. He had a big shoebox of knives that he'd confiscated from me and my brother. Later in life, when I started roping and working on ranches, my beloved Schrade knives were replace by modern one handed knives because that's what was needed for the job. When I finally got back into Traditional knives there were many more expensive and elegant knives to try out, so I never really returned to my Schrade roots.

Not I.

But being European it's not surprising. Until chancing upon this place I'd never heard of them and might have thought it was some manner of fire-arm or even party-drug...:D:D:oops:

Nobody in my family was even remotely interested in knives, faintly disapproving in fact...so I had to save my money and buy what I could find. Opinels, puukko/sheath knives, SAKs, cheap Sheffield knives. It's really only been in the Internet Age that I've been able to find out about cutlery and get hold of it from many different countries. So much to think about and mull over!:cool::thumbsup:

Back