Who has never owned a 34OT?

Well, you’ve heard of secret Santa, this was a secret GAW. Congratulations jwb01 jwb01 you just won yourself a USA made 34OT. I wrote the names of everyone who said they never have owned one, numbered them randomly and then threw a dart at the dartboard. It’s yours to do as you wish but I would ask that if you ever tire of it you come back to this thread and pull a name from someone that never owned one and pass it to them. Should you decide to pass on it just let me know and I’ll throw another dart. PM me with your shipping address and I’ll get it in the mail. Here is your prize and Merry Christmas!!

198-E01-C7-A1-D7-4-C7-A-9414-214-E85-F73518.jpg

How awesome of you , everyone should try one at some point.
With the real proud sheep's foot I'd not carry one today, but they're great and I carved so many sticks with mine as a kid.

Well, you’ve heard of secret Santa, this was a secret GAW. Congratulations jwb01 jwb01 you just won yourself a USA made 34OT. I wrote the names of everyone who said they never have owned one, numbered them randomly and then threw a dart at the dartboard. It’s yours to do as you wish but I would ask that if you ever tire of it you come back to this thread and pull a name from someone that never owned one and pass it to them. Should you decide to pass on it just let me know and I’ll throw another dart. PM me with your shipping address and I’ll get it in the mail. Here is your prize and Merry Christmas!!

:thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup: Very sneaky and very nice of you. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:
and congrats to jwb01 jwb01

The Schrade 340T was the knife of my childhood. I went through 3 of them: 2 ended up with broken/bent blades due to improper use (prying/screwdriver), 1 was lost. Still the 340T is what I used & learned knife stuff on. A little after participating in this forum I became nostalgic and picked one up off the big online auction site. I still am not a fan of Stockmans, but I like the 340T for the nostalgia factor. It's also in my ideal slipjoint folder size range - 3 1/4".

WOW! I don’t know what to say but thank you Jim! That looks to be a fine example of an American made icon! As a collector of USA made stockman patterns I’m very grateful for this.
Thanks everyone for the congrats. Just further proof that this is an exceptional corner of the inter webs and one I am proud to be a part of!
Merry Christmas to everyone!

I have in my hand as I write this a 34OT I picked up back in 1987 in the BX at Howard AFB, Panama. I was a 30-something Special Operations Aviator, flying missions in Central America, and carried a SAK, a Spyderco Mariner and a Randall Model 1 as my cutlery. None of these peeled apples very well, so I picked up the 34OT to do just that! The SAK I carried at that time, the Spyderco and the Randall are all long gone, but the lowly 34OT is still with me, and still peeling apples! The spey has been modified into a spearpoint and the blades are somewhat thinner than they were 30+ years ago, but it is still quite serviceable.

Regards,
Ron

I'm 51 and didn't own an Old-Timer until I was in my 40s. I have never been a fan of carbon steel and the two tone brown handles never appealed to me. My one Old-Timer is an Ulster 58 ot.

The Schrades used to dominate my stores too - I never heard of Case until a year or two ago. My brothers and I would spend hours admiring them in large glass display cases at the local ‘sports store’ when we were in town re-stocking our air rifle ammunition stocks. Back then we didn’t have video games or the internet to occupy our time!

Eastern Arkansas was Schrade Country but you could get Buck's at some Discount Ag stores! The rest you had to go to the Hardware store and order from the Case ,Queen or Callimus Catalogs

My dad always was a fan of Schrade stockman pattern knives; he always owned at least one. I have one of the 34OT's that he used. I have another one, but don't remember the model designation as I sit here writing this. I'll probably dig it out and update this post with pictures. IIRC (they are put away for "safe keeping"). The ones I owned personally sharpened up easily and were superb slicers. Again, IIRC both of the knives that I have that were his have his trademark broken tip on at least one of the blades. He tended to use them for other things besides cutting stuff and would break the tips.

Ed J

Was one of the first knives I ever owned -think I bought it at KMart in the late 70's, maybe early 80's. Wasn't particularly noteworthy - recall I never was crazy about the plastic sides. Must have lost it years ago (fact that i don't recall what happened to it, reinforces my lackluster connection with it). Was a decent first or second knife ... just nothing special

Last edited:
I dont think the point of the knife line was to market a spit-polished pocket jewel anyway. The idea was to offer a respectable user knife at an affordable price that could be found readily in lots of stores. Shrade accomplished that.

The size certainly appeals to me but I'm a single blade man. I'll carry 2 blade folders at a push

I know some will say that goes against the multi-functional use of the stockman pattern but for me its a great excuse to carry more than one folder :D

Back