Who Has Switched From the Wicked Edge to the Edge Pro System, and Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glock Guy

Gold Member
I know there are a TON of Wicked Edge vs. Edge Pro threads on here, and I've read most, if not all of them. This is NOT going to be another one of those threads!

I'll start by saying that I know BOTH are great, well made systems from U.S. companies, and that both have awesome customer service.

What I'm looking for are the reasons that users switched FROM the Wicked Edge to the Edge Pro, OR why you preferred the Edge Pro right off the bat. Was it the speed of setup, or having a larger selection of stones? Or maybe there was something specific about the Wicked Edge that you didn't like that you don't have to deal with using the Edge Pro. Whatever YOUR reasons were, I would love to hear them.

And like I said previously, I am NOT trying to start an Edge Pro vs. Wicked Edge thread, so let's not go there. All I'm looking for are reasons that people started with (or at least really tried) the Wicked Edge, but in the end switched to the Edge Pro system.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I have never owned either but I thought about getting the Wicked Edge before I got a TSProf K03 and I didn't like the price of the WE to get a really good one,but the main reason's for me not buying a WE were because they have a limited angle range compared to other system's and the jaws on the camps on some models were crap and they also used to get abrasive grit inside the mechanism because they didn't make a rubber boot to protect it.

The stone selection isn't as good as edge pro format stones way more to choose from plus you have to buy 2 stones at a time with the WE.

I'm not saying the WE is a big pile of crap I just think for me there were way more negatives then positives that I could see for me to buy one.

I’ve never used a WE but I do have an Edge Pro. Edge Pro works much better than I ever could do freehand. However I’m really practicing and learning to freehand. Anyway the biggest draw back to the Edge Pro is it allows for human error. When I flip the knife over and have to hold it with my left hand I really have to focus. It feels odd. I’m not left handed and I have to hold the knife in place. Sometimes my hand slips. I’ve thrown around the idea of getting one of the systems similar to an edge pro that magnets or clamps the knife in place. But all seem to have their pros and cons. If I bought a new one I would not get rid of my edge pro.

I’ve thrown around the idea of getting one of the systems similar to an edge pro that magnets or clamps the knife in place.

Y'know... Edge Pro now makes a magnet attachment for their Apex sharpeners. I use a Professional, so it's not an option, but I don't really care. I've never used a Wicked Edge, so I can't comment on the original question.

Y'know... Edge Pro now makes a magnet attachment for their Apex sharpeners. I use a Professional, so it's not an option, but I don't really care. I've never used a Wicked Edge, so I can't comment on the original question.

Hum, I did not know that. I will have to look into it. Thanks!

why did you switch from WE to EP?

I have never used the Edge Pro, as I started with the Wicked Edge right away. I have seen a lot of threads comparing the two, and have seen some people switching from the Edge Pro to the Wicked Edge, and have heard of a few people staying with the Edge Pro after trying the Wicked Edge.

I wanted to focus on the cases where people have tried both, but chose to go with the Edge Pro, as I think there are probably some good reasons to prefer that system as well.

One of the sharpeners that has earned a lot of respect on this forum is Jim Ankerson, with all his steel tests and tremendous depth of knowledge. He uses an Edge Pro, even though he has tried, and reviewed, lots of other systems. I'm not sure if that's just because he is more familiar with the Edge Pro after using it for so long, but I'm thinking if there was something that came along that he thought was better, then he would have switched as well. Maybe I'll get lucky and Ankerson Ankerson , and other users like Ben Dover Ben Dover and @Steel_Addiction will chime in on this thread!

There is also another sharpener that I follow on Instagram (Nathan @spadeknifeworks) that has done videos on the Edge Pro system he uses and said that he would never use a clamped system like the Wicked Edge.

Again, I'm NOT trying to turn this thread into an Edge Pro vs. Wicked Edge thread, so let's not go there. All I'm looking for are the reasons that people switched from the Wicked Edge to the Edge Pro, OR preferred the Edge Pro over the Wicked Edge right from the start.

Last edited:
I have never used the Edge Pro, as I started with the Wicked Edge right away. I have seen a lot of threads comparing the two, and have seen some people switching from the Edge Pro to the Wicked Edge, and have heard of a few people staying with the Edge Pro after trying the Wicked Edge.

I wanted to focus on the cases where people chose to go the other way, as I think there are some good reasons to prefer that system as well.

One of the sharpeners that has earned a lot of respect on this forum is Jim Ankerson, with all his steel tests and tremendous depth of knowledge. He uses an Edge Pro, even though he has tried, and reviewed, lots of other systems. I'm not sure if that's just because he is more familiar with the Edge Pro after using it for so long, but I'm thinking if there was something that came along that he thought was better, then he would have switched as well. Maybe I'll get lucky and Ankerson Ankerson , and another user like Ben Dover Ben Dover will chime in on this thread!

There is also another sharpener that I follow on Instagram (Nathan @spadeknifeworks) that has done videos on the Edge Pro system he uses and said that he would never use a clamped system like the Wicked Edge.

Again, I'm NOT trying to turn this thread into an Edge Pro vs. Wicked Edge thread, so let's not go there. All I'm looking for are the reasons that people switched from the Wicked Edge to the Edge Pro, OR preferred the Edge Pro over the Wicked Edge right from the start.

I really don't like clamp systems, never have.

The EP gives me a lot of freedom when I am sharpening, and it's FAST for me with the Congress Moldmaster stones I use.

I can normally reprofile and sharpen a knife in around 5-10 mins, steel doesn't matter.

Maybe I am just set in my ways. ;)

The Pro has a magnetic option now too. You either have to drill a hole in the side of the blade table or send it back to EP and they will do it for free.

I'm NOT trying to turn this thread into an Edge Pro vs. Wicked Edge thread, so let's not go there. All I'm looking for are the reasons that people switched from the Wicked Edge to the Edge Pro.

You are looking for people who switched from product A to product B without comparing products A and B? Good luck.

You are looking for people who switched from product A to product B without comparing products A and B? Good luck.

No, if you read my original post (and it looks like you did not), you would understand that I'm looking for people who HAVE compared product A to product B, and decided on one based on what they liked about one, or didn't like about the other.

Again though, since you don't seem to understand the question, at least do us all a favor and stay out of the conversation...

Please let's avoid trading insults to avoid thread closure or other fun prizes. We can discuss the matter without invective.

Please let's avoid trading insults to avoid thread closure or other fun prizes. We can discuss the matter without invective.

Trying to, and I thought the title and my constant reiteration/clarification of what I was looking for was sufficient.

Hopefully this thread will get back on track with some more comments like what Ankerson Ankerson put up, as that is exactly the kind of helpful, first-hand experience I am looking for. Thanks Jim!

I wish that I could give you something more specific. I used both systems for well over a year. I liked both.

After a year, I found that I was using the Edge-Pro more and the WE less. I seemed to get better results with the EP. I can't give a scientific explanation of why, but the EP just seemed "friendlier" to use.

It's probably my hands and eyes more than the machines, but since I was more comfortable with the EP, I kept it.:thumbsup:

Sorry I can't be more scientific.:(

I wish that I could give you something more specific. I used both systems for well over a year. I liked both.

After a year, I found that I was using the Edge-Pro more and the WE less. I seemed to get better results with the EP. I can't give a scientific explanation of why, but the EP just seemed "friendlier" to use.

It's probably my hands and eyes more than the machines, but since I was more comfortable with the EP, I kept it.:thumbsup:

Sorry I can't be more scientific.:(

Ben Dover Ben Dover No worries, and thanks for your input!

I'm not looking for anything scientific, just wondering why people switched. If you were getting better results, that certainly is a good reason.

May I ask if you started with the Edge Pro? I'm just wondering if you were more comfortable with it since you used it first.

Also did you ever go back and forth between the systems, or did you just stick with a system once you started using it?

Thanks again!

Glock Guy.

I did start with the EP.

When I had both systems set up on my workbench, I used the WE exclusively until I was comfortable with it.

After that I made it a point to switch back and forth. I would sharpen one or two knives on one, then switch to the other. I got razor-blade++ edges from both.

I could be happy for the rest of my life with a WE. but given a choice, I'll take the EP every time!:)

:DI love blondes, but if given a choice, I'll choose a redhead every time!:D

Glock Guy.

I did start with the EP.

When I had both systems set up on my workbench, I used the WE exclusively until I was comfortable with it.

After that I made it a point to switch back and forth. I would sharpen one or two knives on one, then switch to the other. I got razor-blade++ edges from both.

I could be happy for the rest of my life with a WE. but given a choice, I'll take the EP every time!:)

:DI love blondes, but if given a choice, I'll choose a redhead every time!:D

Like me, I just can't get past the clamp systems, I just like the feel of the EP better when sharpening and the way I sharpen I move the blade around a lot.

More like free handing, checking the burr etc. I went from free handing to the EP so I like that kind of freedom.

Also agree about the Blonds and redheads. :D

Ankerson Ankerson and Ben Dover Ben Dover thanks again for the input, and we are unanimous on the Red Head vs. Blonde debate, as well!

Actually Jim mentioned what I thought were the biggest differences between the two systems. The fact that you set the clamp on the WE, but can move a bit more freely on the Edge Pro makes it a different machine, and I can see how it would be faster going from knife to knife without having to re-clamp each time.

Also the feel is, I imagine, different as well. With the Edge Pro, you can be more focused and feel the stone going across the surface of the blade much better, whereas I have noticed that when I use my Wicked Edge, I'm focusing more on the technique. I'm trying to keep the pressure the same on both paddles, and use the same stroke technique, whereas I'm not really focused on the feedback with the actual stones across the metal. I do notice the feel a bit more when I'm doing one side at a time, but when I speed up and do both sides I lose the feel in the technique.

That's what I have been trying to get a feel for with this thread. This is NOT a Ford vs. Chevy debate, where both vehicles do basically the same thing, but they have slight differences. Here we are talking about getting the same results in very different ways. One way is with a clamped system that allows for maximum repeat-ability, whereas the other allows more freedom of motion but still has a fixed angle of attack, albeit with different stones.

As I said before, I don't believe there is such a thing as a BEST system. There is just trying to find the best system for each person, and what works best for one person might not work the best for the other person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back