Who Has Switched From the Wicked Edge to the Edge Pro System, and Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK guys, after much deliberation (and procrastination) on my part, I pulled the trigger on my Edge Pro order!

I got the Professional model with the full set of Diamond Matrix stones, both the Slide Guide and Small Knife Attachment, and the leveling kit with both the 240 alox and 60 grit sic powder. In 2019 the Pro systems came standard with the removable magnets already built into the base, so that's another plus!

The system should be here by Wednesday or Thursday, and I'll be sure and post some thoughts and comparisons.

This is should be interesting, as I've used the WE for years. I know it will take some getting used to the new system, but I'm looking forward to trying something new.

Thanks again for all who posted here, and please feel free to share any other tips you guys come up with!

I've just found this thread, and read with interest. I've been going through similar thoughts...where I've been using the WE Field and Sport Pro over last several years, but have been interested in the EP Professional. If you have a moment, I'd really like to hear your recent thoughts/feelings between the two systems now that I assume you have some time on your new EP.

OK guys, after much deliberation (and procrastination) on my part, I pulled the trigger on my Edge Pro order!

I got the Professional model with the full set of Diamond Matrix stones, both the Slide Guide and Small Knife Attachment, and the leveling kit with both the 240 alox and 60 grit sic powder. In 2019 the Pro systems came standard with the removable magnets already built into the base, so that's another plus!

The system should be here by Wednesday or Thursday, and I'll be sure and post some thoughts and comparisons.

This is should be interesting, as I've used the WE for years. I know it will take some getting used to the new system, but I'm looking forward to trying something new.

Thanks again for all who posted here, and please feel free to share any other tips you guys come up with!

I have never tried the Edge Pro but I love my Wicked Edge WE130 and wouldn't think about selling it. What kind of Wicked Edge system do you have?

WE130-4a.jpg

One thing you might think about with this thread and people comparing a WE to an Edge Pro. Lately EP has provided some significant products that are new and if someone used an EP before then their observations might not be up to date.

EP has released a Small Knife Attachment, Slide Glide (for multiple points of contact and adjustability), a magnet and Diamond Matrix stones.

The magnet is interesting since this almost secures the blade to the table. Therefore you can repeat how the knife is positioned especially if you note how far it overhangs the table. The magnet is even is strong enough to use with the small knife attachment and hold the knife. This seems to be a point with previous people that liked the WE over the EP since the WE clamps the knife. EP does not clamp the knife, but the magnet is really helpful. Also you can remove the magnet if you don't prefer to use it for whatever reason (i.e chef knife that you want to move around the blade table).

The Diamond matrix stones are very nice and have been covered here in other threads. Look up posts by Diemaker.

Another interesting point is Ankerson had great luck sharpening any knife material using the Congress Tool Moldmaster stones (1 x 6 x 1/8") like 320 and 400 grit and left the blade with a toothy edge. Search on Ankerson and Congress Tool stones. He did a lot of testing in the past on edge retention and sharpness testing. These stones are cheap (~$5) but need mounted to an aluminum holder.

I have used all the products noted above with the EP Pro model. I do not have any financial interest in EP, but wanted to share some insight. I have not used a WE for direct comparison.

Since the EP came out there are now a lot of new products that you can use to sharpen knives. You can almost come to paralysis by analysis if you are the type to over research a topic.

One thing you might think about with this thread and people comparing a WE to an Edge Pro. Lately EP has provided some significant products that are new and if someone used an EP before then their observations might not be up to date.

EP has released a Small Knife Attachment, Slide Glide (for multiple points of contact and adjustability), a magnet and Diamond Matrix stones.

The magnet is interesting since this almost secures the blade to the table. Therefore you can repeat how the knife is positioned especially if you note how far it overhangs the table. The magnet is even is strong enough to use with the small knife attachment and hold the knife. This seems to be a point with previous people that liked the WE over the EP since the WE clamps the knife. EP does not clamp the knife, but the magnet is really helpful. Also you can remove the magnet if you don't prefer to use it for whatever reason (i.e chef knife that you want to move around the blade table).

The Diamond matrix stones are very nice and have been covered here in other threads. Look up posts by Diemaker.

Another interesting point is Ankerson had great luck sharpening any knife material using the Congress Tool Moldmaster stones (1 x 6 x 1/8") like 320 and 400 grit and left the blade with a toothy edge. Search on Ankerson and Congress Tool stones. He did a lot of testing in the past on edge retention and sharpness testing. These stones are cheap (~$5) but need mounted to an aluminum holder.

I have used all the products noted above with the EP Pro model. I do not have any financial interest in EP, but wanted to share some insight. I have not used a WE for direct comparison.

Since the EP came out there are now a lot of new products that you can use to sharpen knives. You can almost come to paralysis by analysis if you are the type to over research a topic.

It's been 8 months and not a word from the OP. I wonder what the problem is?

I have never used an EP, but I looked them over online before I settled on the Wicked Edge. I liked the Tormek but I wanted a system that didn't require electricity. After looking over every system that I could find online and here on BF, I decided that the WE looked like the best system of them all. I like the vertical vise also.
But I'm sure that with some practice the EP would do a nice job as well.

No problems at all... I just kind of forgot about this thread since I have been focusing a lot more on freehand sharpening lately.

I have the Wicked Edge Gen III Pro with the new vice. While I like it for some knives, I wanted to try the Edge Pro out because of the speed of just throwing a knife on the table instead of clamping it, and also for using stones that are not diamonds.

The results were what I thought: I liked some things, and didn't like others.

What I liked was the speed of just being able to put an edge on a knife, especially one with a full flat grind. There is a learning curve to it, but the magnet and slide guide helped out a lot. I also really like the water stones, and the differences between them and the diamonds. While the diamonds well on most steels, there are some water stones that work better on other steels.

What I didn't like was the scratches that show up on EVERY blade if you don't tape it, and how hard it is to use on some blades where it has a small flat vs. a full flat grind.

All it all it was a good purchase and Edge Pro makes a quality product. I thank those of you who contributed to this thread as well. I appreciate your time and recommendations!

It's nice having the choice between sharpening systems. I use the WE for some knives, and the EP for others.

.. Now back to working on my freehand skills.

No problems at all... I just kind of forgot about this thread since I have been focusing a lot more on freehand sharpening lately.

I have the Wicked Edge Gen III Pro with the new vice. While I like it for some knives, I wanted to try the Edge Pro out because of the speed of just throwing a knife on the table instead of clamping it, and also for using stones that are not diamonds.

The results were what I thought: I liked some things, and didn't like others.

What I liked was the speed of just being able to put an edge on a knife, especially one with a full flat grind. There is a learning curve to it, but the magnet and slide guide helped out a lot. I also really like the water stones, and the differences between them and the diamonds. While the diamonds well on most steels, there are some water stones that work better on other steels.

What I didn't like was the scratches that show up on EVERY blade if you don't tape it, and how hard it is to use on some blades where it has a small flat vs. a full flat grind.

All it all it was a good purchase and Edge Pro makes a quality product. I thank those of you who contributed to this thread as well. I appreciate your time and recommendations!

It's nice having the choice between sharpening systems. I use the WE for some knives, and the EP for others.

.. Now back to working on my freehand skills.

Thanks for the post! That WE vise is a good one but I have never used it. It's not much different than the WE130.
I tape my good knives also just because I don't like to take unnecessary chances even though I have some nice stone stops. WE does have some ceramic stones for sale now.
Do you know that there are people making aftermarket stones for the WE? One guy I trust on the WE forum recommended this guy for water stones for the Wicked Edge. I have not used any of them so I cannot say how good they are. I'm very happy with diamond stones myself.

Can't say about the Edge Pro, haven't used one. But I looked seriously at one and gave it a lot of thought because I know myself. My reasons for getting a Wicked Edge:

I have way more years behind me than ahead of me. It seemed that the more distractions I eliminated, the more my remaining brain cells could concentrate on the feel between the stones and the blade. That is, I no longer had to worry so much about the angle, how many strokes I just put on the other side of the blade, whether I was favoring the front edge of the stone or the rear, if I used more pressure on the previous side than the current one, etc. I could simply worry about equalizing pressure on the stones, the sound of the strokes, and the feel of the edge. Depending on what task the knife was to be used for I could use edge leading, edge trailing, or simply move the stones along the edge, hilt to point. And of course, how light the pressure was to be on the last strokes. In my opinion, the WE is Sharpening for Dummies.

I'm not obsessive/compulsive but I can imagine getting distracted while using an Edge Pro and when I got back to the job trying to remember how many strokes I had done and how much pressure I used on the down side of the blade. I could be wrong about this, but with the WE it is one less thing to fool with.

As for the cost of two sets of stones, seems to me that the WE stones only sharpen one side of the blade so there should be half the wear. Should last twice as long or close, so the cost is mitigated at least somewhat. As for the clamp, I've never had a blade scratched by it and some of my blades are coated. Think old Benchmade D2 Griptilian. I doubt the coating is much more than powdercoat but it holds up fine against the clamp.

Not defending my choice, just stating my observations.

Your mileage may vary, etc.

Respectfully.

>> It's all about the stones baby.

That says it all. I appreciate the work done by the Edge Elitists; that helps all of us. But..

For me, I only need a good solid cutting edge that holds up and does not take half a day to achieve. A Sharpmaker will do that and so will the WE or any quality guided system. Difference is how much time I have to give up to get it and how fussy we are about a finished product that, at that level of sharpness, will not last too long.

Even though it sounds like it, this is not derogatory toward edge elitists, I am a steel snob myself. While I love the hair whittling sharpness, I prefer a blade that will hold a good working edge for a -while-.

I usually start and end with the 400/600 stones. No need for me to go finer unless I want to show off, so as I said, no need.

That said, if someone wants to turn their knife into a pocket scalpel, I'll ooh and ahh along with everyone else.

That comment is not even remotely about 'elite edges' or whatever. The thread discusses significant differences between the EP and WE systems. I personally investigated both and think both have their strengths. I chose EP though because of a larger range of sharpening stone choices. And to a lesser degree, because I prefer EP's system of holding/moving the blade on the table, vs WE clamp.

I really don't understand all of that squawking about stones. Diamond stones are great. But there are more and more different kinds of stones for the WE coming out all the time. As far as that goes, any stone that you can have cut to size you can glue onto WE stone handles.
Personally, I don't have any interest in them. The diamond stones are all that I need. They even work great on lesser steels.

WE is a fine system...as stated. Not trying to talk you out of enjoying your WE. ;) But WE has 2 types of sharpening media I'm aware of: diamonds and ceramics. One key reason I went with EP in the end is that a lot of sharpeners I'm aware of, and me, tend to like using a variety of types of sharpening media and in particular, certain sharpening stone materials tend to get best results with certain steel types. So there's a place in my sharpening kit for all of the following: diamonds or cbn, SiC, AlOx, sintered ceramics, and some specialty waterstones. Do you NEED all those, to get sharpening done? Nope--people with WE regularly get awesome edges using diamonds for all steel types, so it doesn't seem to hurt their results. I carry always a single cbn or diamond sharpener in my little EDC bag, and those can sharpen 100% of the steels that I own. But....they do not produce identical finishes/edges on all steels. If you prefer the type of finish and edge you can get with some of the other sharpening media, and want to use those with certain steel types, you may be happier with something like EP (or one of the similar systems that can use EP stones, like Hapstone). It's almost like EP has become the open source sharpening system that everybody clones, and everybody makes sharpening stones for. Doesn't make it "better" as a sharpener than WE, but it just gives you more options and that's a key reason that I prefer it. It's a good difference to be aware for somebody comparing the 2 systems, as per the original discussion of this thread.

I wouldn't trade my WE130 for any other system. So don't ever worry about talking me out of using my WE because that will never happen. But use what you love - if we can't be happy in this hobby then it wouldn't be any fun.
I just don't understand this fuss over having 100 different kinds of stones. Diamonds do such a great job and they can be taken down to sub-micron sizes.

>> That comment is not even remotely about 'elite edges' or whatever...

It was edge elitists. The sharpening area equivalent of steel snobs like me. Learn to copy and paste. It fools people like me into thinking that you are paying attention.

One of us misunderstood the basic premise which was to give reasons why, and why not, we chose a particular system.

To simplify, I said I was not striving for the finest possible edge but one that would yield a good working edge that would last and at the same time not take half a day to get it. That was a basic reason why I bought the WE and why I did not buy another system that might require more time and perhaps more concentration. Perhaps you should re-read that part again or I could use words of one or two syllables if that would help comprehension.

To simplify again, the right tool used in the wrong job is the wrong tool for that particular job.

Had knives been a more dear hobby to me, or if I sharpened commercially a wide variety of blades and blade steels, I might have picked another sharpener or perhaps both. That would have involved a different set of reasons why and why not.

As for a whompzillion stone varieties, except a couple exceptions every knife of mine is CPM-M4 or M390, with an Elmax, a 4V, and a Cruwear. I haven't tried other stones, but the consensus among those here whose opinions I respect is that those blades sharpen a lot better with diamond stones, so I could not care less if there are three stones for every day of the week until the end of the year available for other sharpeners. Or for that matter, the WE.

What I have works well and works quickly, and that, sir, is why I have what I have and do not have whatever it is that you have.

Just my opinion, but my remarks do not deviate from the original question at hand.

When someone wants to post about why they switched from the WE to the Edge Pro, as was the intent of this thread, send me a PM and I'll reopen it for that purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back