Why buy a CT pack axe or GB sfa ?

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
They both have a 19" hickory handle, come with a sheath, and cost about 130$.
I believe the head weight on both is 1-3/4lb to 2lb, the CT comes in 2 lengths and both are listed at 2lb so I'm assuming that's the head weight ( otherwise the longer one would weigh more )

The CT does have a hardened poll unlike the GB, but the sfa has a much thinner bit which it's users love.

I'm inclined to think that the CT pack axe is probably a little better than the GB due to its hardened poll, the GB having a cheek to eye transition that seems less than ideal, the advantages that may come from those bevels, and the fact that the CT's thicker bit would split better.
However There must be something to be said about the sfa and it's thin bit if so many people love it as much as they do, so if only there was something as thin in the bit as a sfa but with a more ideal cheek to eye transition, better head balance, and a hardened poll this would be a great compromise.
It may not blow the pack axe out of the water ( that could probably be done with a plumb national or something ), but I'm sure it would the sfa and should certainly compare to the CT pack axe.

Well as it turns out such a head has existed from many many manufacturers for at least a hundred years and they're called a riggers axe.
Here's my " utility axe " as I've decided to call it.

( try doing that with a small forest axe or pack axe )

It's 20-1/2" the head weighs 1-3/4lb ( overall weight should be just over 2lb )
The head is a Vaughan in their 1080 steel, and seems to hold a pretty good edge. The cheek to eye transition is definitely less abrupt than the sfa, and it sure chops well and seems to split pretty well during my minimal testing.
my total cost was 20$ and change.

One could find something older from another manufacturer like plumb or something that may have a harder bit than this, and your cost could vary. Maybe the head costs you less , maybe you buy a more expensive ready made handle instead of modifying a boys axe handle, but no matter what I have no doubt that you'd be beating a GB small forest axe for a fraction of the cost.

This is what I've done, but I'd like to see what you've done along these lines.
This would be something like a 1-1/4lb - 1-3/4 hatchet head hung on a 19" or longer handle.
It could be a riggers axe, half hatchet of some sort, a Tommy axe, a standard scout type hatchet, or really any kind of hatchet head you've hung on a longer handle to make the most of its weight.

If you haven't done anything like this I encourage you to, Who doesn't
think about how much better and less expensive a vintage hatchet is than a Swedish boutique " bushcraft "axe ?

Last edited:
It looks good to me, and I like the re-use and low cost (but high quality) approach. I was starting to think about how it would do for splitting, then I noticed the profile picture doesn't show the width of the poll.

Here's a shot with the poll.
In my experience so far it doesn't affect splitting performance, but I could going a taper on each side where the poll starts and that edge there would certainly never be a problem.

Something I want to be clear about is that I'm not knocking these 2 axe which I don't own, I have just compared and checked the specs of each to create what I conclude is a real competitor for next to nothing.
BTW the head was going to be used as a splitting wedge if I hadn't saved it, so that's another bonus.

It's a very versatile setup and useful for many tasks. It will not be the world's best splitter (but still great for kindling) but neither is the SFA.
Certainly not the world's best splitter, but
I like it. I think a Tommy Axe on a 24" handle would be awesome.
Well , yeah it probably would.

I'm going to edit my thread to seek examples of what anyone else may have done along these lines.

Last edited:
I mostly agree, you are comparing a curved edge with a mostly straight one. They both have their places, imo.

Certainly a nice one, don't get me wrong.

It's certainly as good or better than the boutique axes it's being compared to. Surely better steel. Useful poll.

I mostly agree, you are comparing a curved edge with a mostly straight one. They both have their places, imo.

Certainly a nice one, don't get me wrong.
I gave the edge on mine a some curve, likewise most old riggers axe heads you find have had some curve sharpened into them.
This is a valid point though.

I really like what you are doing.

Never tried out a SFA to compare but I wouldn't have to, to appreciate your line of thinking.

Modifying another handle to fit your idea to concept then concept to need gets points too.

I really like what you are doing.

Never tried out a SFA to compare but I wouldn't have to, to appreciate your line of thinking.

Modifying another handle to fit your idea to concept then concept to need gets points too.
Thanks! the key to this was the fat club of a link boys axe handle I found, and It just barely had enough meat on it to work.

I've long considered the rigger's axe a heck of a "multitool" of an axe.

I carry a plumb in my truck, mainly for intended use, but it was the best/only tool I had with me when a rear brake line on my truck sprang a leak. Usually have pliers, at least, but not that day, so I crimped the line against the axle with light taps of the rigger and made it back to the house. So add auto work to it's capabilities :).

I had hung this Plumb a couple months back and recently attempted some refinement at shaping and thinning the handle.
My intended use when hanging was as a utility, small forest, backpackable packable, camping axe.
My idea also was as an alternative to both your comparison brands and brands/models similar.

It splits seasoned quarters easily and prunes green hemlock limbs with ease.
...as I use and test it more I will repost...

21" NOS maul handle cut down from 36"
1&3/4lb head
2&1/4lb total

IMG_20171112_094744707.jpg

IMG_20171112_094544708.jpg

IMG_20171112_094654157.jpg

IMG_20171112_094557062.jpg

I had hung this Plumb a couple months back and recently attempted some refinement at shaping and thinning the handle.
My intended use when hanging was as a utility, small forest, backpackable packable, camping axe.
My idea also was as an alternative to both your comparison brands and brands/models similar.

It splits seasoned quarters easily and prunes green hemlock limbs with ease.
...as I use and test it more I will repost...

21" NOS maul handle cut down from 36"
1&3/4lb head
2&1/4lb total

IMG_20171112_094744707.jpg

IMG_20171112_094544708.jpg

IMG_20171112_094654157.jpg

IMG_20171112_094557062.jpg

Looks great :thumbsup:

Yes sir ,I agree all of them are dangerous.Did the same thing with a beat up victory this summer,made a 22 inch handle out of a piece of ash and it was awkward to use two handed so I was useing it one handed alot to cut up brush for burning,it came out of my hand twice and almost got my shins four or five times,not from missing but cutting through and keeping on going, anyways handle broke and I put it on a 27 inch handle,use it the most of all my axes .That's a real nice one you got there Miller.

Yes sir ,I agree all of them are dangerous.Did the same thing with a beat up victory this summer,made a 22 inch handle out of a piece of ash and it was awkward to use two handed so I was useing it one handed alot to cut up brush for burning,it came out of my hand twice and almost got my shins four or five times,not from missing but cutting through and keeping on going, anyways handle broke and I put it on a 27 inch handle,use it the most of all my axes .That's a real nice one you got there Miller.

Just goes to show you how important it is to make sure you're making these types of cuts on a plane parallel to your body whenever possible.

Thanks junkenstien.:thumbsup:
I can see how this could get away from you, and how fast it could happen.

Just goes to show you how important it is to make sure you're making these types of cuts on a plane parallel to your body whenever possible.

Thanks Hn'S:thumbsup:
:cool: Saftey first always:)
I agree, always be prepared, focused and aware, especially the times we push that envelope of the tool and ourselves.

Great thread, surprised it hasn't opened more conversation.

I for one probably won't buy a brand new axe or hatchet.
I will accept one graciously and excitedly as a gift, but I am very happy with the axes I have and the ones still out there to find.
This comparison is a great confirmation of what we can do with little(in my case) experience, an older maybe vintage head, a little time and little work.

Back