Why buy a CT pack axe or GB sfa ?

Miller, I like your sense of humor. Yes, it has put up with me even when I wasn't nice to it. Still, 3 cords of wood a year with one ax for all the splitting and limb work. And it's still capable of giving me a days work. DM

Today I trimmed some more limbs with my boys axe, the Mann and I really like how this size ax works for this type cutting. DM

I was out for a bit today as well DM but decided to bring two Connies I love (3lb &4/1/8lb) for a comparison run...I wish and should have brought either my craftsman boys or my woodslasher boys just for the fatigue of limbing the small stuff after bucking with axe and saw a few hours.

20180304_113714.jpg

Live and learn, fight an other day:thumbsup:

Miller, a handsome load. It looks like white oak. Perhaps it needs to cure 60 days. In our climate it would need at least that amount of time. I'm sure
your wife pitched those last few logs up on top. You'll have some axe work with that load. ;) DM

Miller, a handsome load. It looks like white oak. Perhaps it needs to cure 60 days. In our climate it would need at least that amount of time. I'm sure
your wife pitched those last few logs up on top. You'll have some axe work with that load. ;) DM

Yes white oak and that will need to cure all thru summer and probably thru next winter depending on the upcoming spring and summer
My wife is a trooper for sure and actually offered to come with me last night LOL!!
She was still asleep when I left early this morning;)

Miller, those bed-liners really pay off when hauling wood. You'd think wood wouldn't scratch but it does. Plus, the saw, ax, wedges and everything else we throw back there. DM

Miller, those bed-liners really pay off when hauling wood. You'd think wood wouldn't scratch but it does. Plus, the saw, ax, wedges and everything else we throw back there. DM

I fully agree. How simple an answer to all those flattened, scratched dinged bed ridges.

Can't imagine a new / newer truck without them

Mine tries to get out easy like that too. So, I don't argue, I just take the dogs instead. DM

That's great! I miss that...we lost one of our girls this past August and my other girl is in her 90's now and though she wants to go, she just can't handle the stresses of the truck ride and then the work of the day.

Miller, those bed-liners really pay off when hauling wood. You'd think wood wouldn't scratch but it does. Plus, the saw, ax, wedges and everything......

Line-X is da-bomb! Best bed liner I ever had. It was in a company truck I drove about 10 years ago. Years of hard use without a scratch! I've heard that Rhino-liner has gotten better but the ones I've seen are soft and scratch easily.

Ours is a Pendaliner and it works great. We haul not just wood but a dozen barrels filled with our refuse to the land fill 2 times a year and
it doesn't show any damage. DM

Miller, your load of wood should give you a good jump into next winter. As you worked with your axes which one did you like and think worked the best? DM

Just like in your photo, white oaks don't have large limbs. They grow more trunk with short limbs. Thus, when you fell them they fall to the
ground and no hang up or spring over, pinching the saw. DM

Miller, your load of wood should give you a good jump into next winter. As you worked with your axes which one did you like and think worked the best? DM

If there could be only one I would grab the Collins Legitimus 3lb, red striped handle...of the two.
Both are sharp, throw good chips, very close.
I think the next trip out I will bring my Craftsman boys at 3lbs on 28" with my saw and see how that goes.

Your certainly have me looking at the oak tree differently, with a new appreciation.
Mighty oaks! I love 'em

Last edited:
My Emory oaks have large limbs and when felled you have to Carefully let the tree down so you don't get pinned underneath or punched from kick-back. Also, they create some strong knots which must be dealt with during splitting. I enjoy using my 3 1/2 lb. Master Craftsman w/ 35" handle for limb work and some of these are large. DM

That's quite a heavy load for a small pickup. 4-door Tacoma? That's great to see some of those doing work since they are mostly used for hauling kids around here and looking brand new.

To stay on topic, is a 3lb still considered a boy's axe? Perhaps young man's axe.

That's quite a heavy load for a small pickup. 4-door Tacoma? That's great to see some of those doing work since they are mostly used for hauling kids around here and looking brand new.

To stay on topic, is a 3lb still considered a boy's axe? Perhaps young man's axe.

Thanks. Definetly a heavy load, but she delivers every time for me...hauling wood, pulling scrap or our camper, hauling the Bolens or the snowblower to my mother-in-laws, even safely bringing my boys to and from school everyday.
It's my 2nd Tacoma in 20 years, I have been more than happy with each for my needs. :cool::thumbsup:

Honestly I don't know where the lines are drawn that categorize a boys axe from a full size axe...eye size for one I suppose, weight like you suggest is possibly an other.
However if it gets your work done and you can still drive home to unload and play with your children...go with what works I say:):thumbsup:

My Emory oaks have large limbs and when felled you have to Carefully let the tree down so you don't get pinned underneath or punched from kick-back. Also, they create some strong knots which must be dealt with during splitting. I enjoy using my 3 1/2 lb. Master Craftsman w/ 35" handle for limb work and some of these are large. DM

You give me an idea. Next time out I will try my 3lb Craftsman, 28" handle and a different 3&1/2lb Legitimus, 30" handle, see which i fare better with.
Thanks.

That would be a great comparison. Yes, a loose definition. After checking my Wards axe has a 32" handle which I hung on it in Dec. and the head is 3.5 lb.. A very good general purpose axe. This size ax I don't think would be in consideration for our topic here of a pack ax. My Mann ax, that I called a boys ax would make the category. A 1 1/2 lb. head with 27" haft. I would like using a 3 lb. axe w/ a 30" handle but packing it around is a different kettle of fish. DM

Back