Why did you choose the user name you chose?

Why did you choose the user name you chose?
I just got to wondering out of curiosity.;)

The old timers know that I use part of my ndn name Yvsa which is Cherokee slang for buffalo. My full ndn name is Yvsa Gigagei, Red Buffalo.
Red Buffalo is what the plains ndns called the prairie fire because the grass burned so quick and so fierce that it sounded like a herd of stampeding buffalo.

Your turn.:D

If this has been done it's been quite a while back and I can't remember for sure, any of the other old timers recall? :confused:

I'm fond of "punny" names, like Adam Baum, Ben Dover, Hugh Jass, and, well, Noah Zark . . .

Noah

Steely Gunz was the nickname that my friends came up with for me one night in college. Steely is what I go by most often around them. The Steely part came from my non-sugarcoated almost brutal way of looking at things. I'm a nice guy...just not warm and fuzzy. Reserved and withdrawn from most people ('cept you guys:D). Ya know...steely. The Gunz part comes from my freakish strength. I'm not very big, and I don't "lift" a lot, but I'm way stronger than someone my size should be. When furniture had to be shoved around or a car pushed out of a ditch or a body moved, the guys called in "the Gunz".
There ya have it, Steely_Gunz.

Jake

What Howard said. Though it's DEFINITELY not an issue in this forum, in others people hide behind their pseudonyms and throw stones. I prefer to be who I am, and say things I mean.

:thumbup: well, mine's probably not one you were wondering about but...

My name's Rob and I was living in Maui...Okay if we have a prize for lamest story behind the screen name I'm nominating myself now:p :D

All kidding aside: good idea for a thread. There are alot of screen names in here that I've wondered about too...

Mine is from my dream job Deputy US Marshal which I aspire to be. As for the number 12 its a good even number.

James

When I was 50, I discovered I had been adopted and my real birth certificate said "Jerry Spencer Mings" - no, not asian but Scotish derived from clan Menzies. shortened to jmings and 'Bobs yer Uncle' :D
Nicknames given be by others were "Baldy", "Witch Doctor", "Einstein", " O Bruxo" and "Wizard".
My handle when I ran The Clip Joint BBS was "wizard" but it is overused on the internet.

I gave it exceedingly little thought. It is the title of a Tolkein poem (in Elvish) from the Lord of the Rings. It means "farewell" in elvish. I really don't know why I chose it. I have always used it as my name, and Bladeforums wasn't my first forum, so I decided I should keep using it. I first used it when video-gaming. Friends couldn't pronounce it well, so it quickly became "nam." (it's pronounced nah-máh-ree-eh) You see, when I joined the Cantina, I really had no idea what I was getting into. Thus, not too much thought was needed at the time. My concern now is that if I change it, people won't recognize me. Maybe after I upgrade and get an avatar, I can change like Dave did. Until then, Namaarie it remains.

Oh, and my real name is Chris. I think I can start signing with that now.

Chris.

I like that.

Astro in this part of world = man with wife and kid overseas. (perculiar hey?)

dada when msn with kid and wife....... :eek:

I was just planning on picking up one khukuri for my shtf kit and typed in a couple things real quick and took the first one that was open just to make a name thinking I'd never use the account again...

SASSAS said:
I was just planning on picking up one khukuri for my shtf kit and typed in a couple things real quick and took the first one that was open just to make a name thinking I'd never use the account again...

one khukuri ?? Look how many you've got now ! One ??

Wakakakka......this is good man ! :D

The silver falcon is a bird, but it's not a bird. It's not me, but it's a part of me, and it's more than me. I understand perfectly, explaining, that's another thing entirely. I saw it again just the other day, perched atop a post at my eye level, it's breast glowing in the rays of the setting sun. Everytime I see that bird I know I'm about to learn something about myself, not all of it good, but all of it necessary to my "education".

Sarge

I sat in front of a blank screen for what seemed like hours...then I stole my Red Tailed Boa's name...shappa. Indian for Red Lightning.

Astrodada said:
one khukuri ?? Look how many you've got now ! One ??

Wakakakka......this is good man ! :D

[sigh] 43 Khukuris, 14 Knives* and 4 Swords later...and I still have a crappy name. :eek:

*15 if you count the beautiful Olive Wood K2 Karda I got from Dan Koster today, which is a direct result of being here...

Originally posted this in June 2004 when we had a thread on this with input from the forumites at the time. Some of the guys have changed their names since then. This is a good refresher thread anyway, as there are a bunch of new folks since then.

-------------------------------

"I picked my user name from one of my favorite short stories of all time, "Sredni Vashtar" by H.H. Munro aka "Saki", written about the turn of the last century.

{Sredni Vashtar was the name a sick boy gave to his "God", a large polecat ferret, who he prayed to daily to kill his overbearing cousin and guardian, Mrs. De Ropp, a miserable spinster who made his life hell. It has a delicious and extremely satisfying ending, and made quite an impression on me when I first read it at a young age.}

The avatar I found in a search of British regimental insignia, and it reminded me of several knives I own, and seemed distinctive. (Note 11/10/05: The avatar used to be a simple white on red [see attached.] I changed it permanently on March 28, 2005.)

The signature line I shamelessly stole entirely from the old Paul Revere Network BBS, which was founded by ex-cop (and later NRA board member) Leroy Pyle in San Jose, CA about 1992-93. They were total and uncompromising advocates for Second Amendment rights without restriction. I have this saying on several of their stickers that they distributed, with a large "CD" in a red central triangle made to look like the old Civil Defense placards of the 50's and 60's."

My name's Bob and people sometimes called me "big guy", hence "Big Bob".

Bob

Back