Why did you choose the user name you chose?

I think this is a periodically re-occurring topic. I think I've answered with three different screen-names since '98.

Lion's Roar may not be what you might think. It's not about being loud. Lion's Roar Sutra is a Buddhist Sutra (writing) that dates back to the Tibetan Bon Shamans. It's actually a pre-Buddhist/early Buddhist sutra. rough translation of one of the teachings: When the Lion roars, all the animals in the forest are (depending on intrepretation) disoriented or give pause. Which translates as, at the moment someone receives a spiritual teaching or more importantly, has a spiritual revelation - then his/her consciousness changes.. something happens in that moment that is significant.

Lion's Roar is also the name of a Tibetan Martial Art with three animals (including the Lion and Crane that you see in the avatar). Dan Koster was extremely kind in creating the avatar for me.

The Buddha in the avatar was added to honor my Dhaju, or "Uncle Bill".

Azis means serpent’s fang, much like the shape of the Khukuri blade.

I guess I could get a nomination for the dumbest moniker....:D

Obviously the common phrase "Runs with scissors" was kinda funny on the surface, and I've never considered myself a really profound dude, or a person who takes themselves too seriously.

Underlying meaning...back in the day before my bottomless well of compassion ran dry and I did some reprioritization in my life I was eating, breathing, living and sleeping EMS and volunteer work. I never left without my trauma shears (scissors) a 4x4 gauze, and gloves on my belt. Got to physically run ocassionally during emergencies, thusly "Runs With Scissors" (I figured It'd look cooler if I didn't mention they were blunt and holstered):D

I use my real name: Jewish custom gives kids a Hebrew name, usually derived from ancestors. Then we can also get a civil name that matches the names of the culture we live in.

Esav (Biblical Esau) comes from my father's mother, Esther. Benyamin is from my mother's father's father Vinyamin. Both of them were Russians.

My civil name is Edward B. Hausman. For whatever reason, my birth certificate didn't have room for Benjamin. :)

"Fixer" used to be my password back inthe old days of the 'Net.
Fixer also was used by Bernahnd Muhlamands novel "The Fixer"

My old screen name used to be "Padre29" that was my favorite baseball
players number Tony Gwynn.

And Esau still means "hairy" in Hebrew...........:p

That's strange; my birth certificate had all my rather lengthy names. But they were handprinted- perhaps type is different. I was born in 56 in Jewish Hospital in St Louis.

I've always thought Runs With Scissors a clever humor. It's a little self effacing because no one really wants to run with them, and is a play on running with Wolves, Dancing with Giraffes, and whatever the entertainment class is doing these days.

munk

First name is Bob. My wife kept her last name when we were married, it's White. People who meet me through her think I'm Bob White. There was an occasion where my wife and I where at a park/zoo. They had bobwhite quail there. The description said that bobwhite quail where "A large bird with a stubby appearance". That totally cracked my wife up, because I am a large man with a stubby appearance. 6'3" and around 300lbs. She said it totally fit me and was a play on our names. So I became Bobwhite, and Dan Koster fished up a pic of the Bobwhite quail for my avatar.

MauiRob said:
:thumbup: well, mine's probably not one you were wondering about but...

My name's Rob and I was living in Maui...Okay if we have a prize for lamest story behind the screen name I'm nominating myself now:p :D

All kidding aside: good idea for a thread. There are alot of screen names in here that I've wondered about too...

Not any lamer than mine. My name is Shannon. There was already a Shannon registered, so I applied my massive brain to the problem and came up with . . . Shann. :eek:

(My default name for forums is Snerdog, because when bowling in a league, I drunkenly scrawled my name on the sign up sheet and the guy who couldn't read it thought for some reason it said Snerdog, which then was how my scores were posted for the rest of the year.)

When I retired, the paper did a very complementary article about one of the Dinosaurs of the Drug Wars passing from the scene. A couple large city newspapers picked up on the fact that a number of very senior narcs. retired all at the same time, on Janet Reno's watch and wondered correctly if she had anything to do with the "hemorrhage of experience" from DEA. The headlines read 'Jurassicnarcs Leaving DEA" and noted that the days where one or two narcs in blue jeans were dropped anywhere in the world to kick ass and take names, were over. They observed, incorrectly, that the new breed all wore suits and weren't as tough. I was just finding time to play on the internet (being newly retired) and was one of 2 or 3 out of 3,500 agents who carried a 44 every day. Jurassicnarc just seemed to be a natural, although these days 45 would be more accurate. When I passed my Model 29 and my original badge to one of my grandsons, I then puchased eight IIRC S&W 44's over two years, and couldn't find one with the same feel and glass smooth trigger (over 18,000 rounds thru the original). So now I wear a much smaller and more comfortable Wilson Professional 45, and I should have done it years ago.

Ripper is the name of my best friend, who I'm sad to say went ahead to scout the trail this year. That's him in the middle:
flilwk.jpg

Regards,
Greg

Bakc in '97 I was in high school and hanging out with lots of computer junkies. Would hang out with my brother and some of his friends at his work place (Jewelry maker) after hours. They had lots of computers. My brother was a partial system admin and also made some of the jewelry. Well after hours they'd let some of us play games on the network. One of the guys that worked there called me a Wildman Heber. I've had that name online ever since.

Heber

I just like bamboo. It's strong, healthy, yields, is quiet, and easy to maintain. Mind you, I'm not all of these things, but I strive to be.

~ B

Kismet said:
Nobody reads Damon Runyon anymore.

Sad, really.
So it's not about the chocolate treat...

Mine is something one of my friends made up in junior high, I forget which one of them, it's close phonetically to my last name.

Well, mine is not very creative, but has proven to be somewhat misleading...

I am not, nor ever have been, an undertaker!

I am an engraver, and I use gravers to engrave. My middle name is Thomas, which I have gone by since birth, hence the Tom. I am a 3rd, and my Mom's dad had the same first name as my dad and his dad, do she wanted me to be called something other than "Frank". The deal was quickly done, out I came, and Tom it is.

besides all that, I do tend to be a bit serious and intense at times, "graver" than the average Tom, perhaps!

Tom

ps it was pretty tough having to answer to "Francis" the first day of school every year. I can still remember the first day of 2nd grade, when a girl who sat in front of me read the name on my desk and said, "I didn't know your name was Frankiss, I thought it was Tom!" :eek: :eek:

After some thought and coming to my senses, My wife and I deicded not to have a Francis Thomas IV.

I like the Art of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth, Hence The Rat Fink. I also like Swamp Rat knives, so the Rat works for me. My name is Mike, but I prefer a pseudonym when dealing with the internet. I see no reason why the large percentage of morons and spammers populating the web need to know my real identity.

Back