Why do I hate Cold Steel?

So I figured it out. Shoot me. No, really.
I agree that Demko brought their folders into a new, more exalted realm of knifedom. But I am almost positive Lynn must have put some exclusivity clause into their contract, preventing him from doing a collaboration with ZT, which is what I would really love to see!
I doubt he would need to bother, since Demko is an employee.

Ive had a carbon v trailmaster for many years, I recently chopped through 20-30 feet of thick rhodedendrums to clear a path. it went through it very easily.I read of a guy in Alaska who uses one to clear snowmobile paths. Some of their fixed blades are great knives. I also use the drop forged survivalist which is another great knife. For around 70.00 for a 52100 fixed blade, it cant be beat for the money.

If the Code 4 had ti scales, OMG, take my money. I lucked out a bit imo and was able to pick up a serrated hold out and code for for around $50 total IIRC, they both got thrown in the hiking pack. I feel like if you can find some good sales on Cold Steel, they do make a really high quality product, regardless of what you think about the marketing/whatever.
Going to Ti scales on the Code 4 would be great but I still would not buy it. It is a great knife and I have recommended it to others. With the exception of SAK Alox, I try to avoid metal scales. Just my thing.

You posted a link to your Product/Service FB page repeatedly. I clicked on it. No digging. Its right here.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/info-on-forged-damascus-knife.1581700/#post-18067829

DxNVnYu.png

Also, if you are going to threaten violence you should do it on the open forum, it's more effective than doing it on a profile page. :thumbsup:

oRogTBV.png
Just saying I f you make enemies here they can become enemies in real life. I never gave you permission to use any of my information so please go back and edit your posts removing my information that I never submitted here in the first place. Failure to do so will result in repeated reports on your posts until the mods do something about you and your smug attitude. Only website owners and moderators of this website are allowed to use my information. I certainly hope the mods do not believe your actions here are reasonable.

Discuss the topic NOT each other.

Just saying I f you make enemies here they can become enemies in real life. I never gave you permission to use any of my information so please go back and edit your posts removing my information that I never submitted here in the first place. Failure to do so will result in repeated reports on your posts until the mods do something about you and your smug attitude. Only website owners and moderators of this website are allowed to use my information. I certainly hope the mods do not believe your actions here are reasonable.

See you in 7 days.

Ok, so hate might be a bit strong, but I can’t figure out why I have not (to this point) even considered a CS product when knife shopping. They seem to use good materials, they have designs that I like, and arguably the best or at least strongest lock in the industry. The Storm Cloud they have coming out this year looks right up my alley. 20cv steel with g10/cf scales. Maybe it’s that Lynn comes off as a pompous a$$:D or that the CS fanboys are annoying as hell if someone has a negative comment about one of their knives. (The Lynn comment isn’t fair, I have never met the man, but the fanboy part is true.) I guess I just need to get a couple to either confirm or get over whatever issue I have with them. Anyone else feel this way about a brand or company?
I was in your boat about a year ago and now that I’ve bought and (immediately regretted it) sold a few I’ve just come to terms with the fact that I don’t like them or they’re owner. I’m not a knife snob, in fact I used to hate Spyderco and decided to try them anyways and ended up doing a video to explain why I’ve come around on my YouTube channel, but After buying one of their most expensive folders and few “hyped” products I’m still disgusted by them. It’s like getting a Ford guy to buy a dodge or a Glock guy to carry a 1911, doesn’t feel right.

Apologies, I know the thread is old but I can’t take it anymore, I have to speak up. I have seen almost nothing but hate for Lynn Thompson and Cold Steel. Personally, I don’t really care for Lynn. I think he is an arrogant blow hard who just killed a great product with this sellout to GSM. That said, Cold Steel knives ( specifically the Recon 1, Code 4, SR1, and AD10) are some of the best tactical folders period!

I’ve taken Cold Steel knives to war in the military, used them on the street as a cop, and used them as welder/iron worker after leaving the force. Cold Steel knives are big, some would even say ugly, but they are rock solid/bullet proof performers. With Cold Steel you get SV35N steel with a very good grind that comes shaving sharp from the factory. Say what you will, but Cold Steel provides a product ( that I would call superior ) at a much better ( and more fair) than either Benchmade or Spyderco. Bottom line, I have no problem putting my Recon 1 to work, when a lot of my friends use their Walmart knife because their afraid to chip their 300.00 Benchmade or Spyderco.

I don’t care what Lynn does and I don’t care about company policies, culture, advertising etc. I care about buying a quality blade at a fair price. Benchmade and Spyderco make very fine knives, no question about it, but in truth, they are overpriced for the worth/function. Cold steel has a lifetime warranty and will easily do everything these others knives do, and at a better, fairer price.

Apologies, I know the thread is old but I can’t take it anymore, I have to speak up. I have seen almost nothing but hate for Lynn Thompson and Cold Steel. Personally, I don’t really care for Lynn. I think he is an arrogant blow hard who just killed a great product with this sellout to GSM. That said, Cold Steel knives ( specifically the Recon 1, Code 4, SR1, and AD10) are some of the best tactical folders period!

I’ve taken Cold Steel knives to war in the military, used them on the street as a cop, and used them as welder/iron worker after leaving the force. Cold Steel knives are big, some would even say ugly, but they are rock solid/bullet proof performers. With Cold Steel you get SV35N steel with a very good grind that comes shaving sharp from the factory. Say what you will, but Cold Steel provides a product ( that I would call superior ) at a much better ( and more fair) than either Benchmade or Spyderco. Bottom line, I have no problem putting my Recon 1 to work, when a lot of my friends use their Walmart knife because their afraid to chip their 300.00 Benchmade or Spyderco.

I don’t care what Lynn does and I don’t care about company policies, culture, advertising etc. I care about buying a quality blade at a fair price. Benchmade and Spyderco make very fine knives, no question about it, but in truth, they are overpriced for the worth/function. Cold steel has a lifetime warranty and will easily do everything these others knives do, and at a better, fairer price.

Thank you for your service as both military and police!!

Well wrote post!

When the marketing theatrics and industry politics are brushed aside, C.S. offered affordable higher quality products in the mid to upper end of their lines. As an ordinary working man I appreciated the value that I got from C.S., for dollar paid. If the old C.S. spirit is gone from their new incarnation, they will be missed.

When the marketing theatrics and industry politics are brushed aside, C.S. offered affordable higher quality products in the mid to upper end of their lines. As an ordinary working man I appreciated the value that I got from C.S., for dollar paid. If the old C.S. spirit is gone from their new incarnation, they will be missed.

In truth, I think it's all down hill from here. Public corporations are about profit and happy share holders. They will bump up the price, cut employee salaries and start skimping on materials. If I were you friend, I would buy a couple of my favorite models now, while they are still good. The past couple weeks I have been clearing Amazon of their Cold Steel stock. Love that free shipping

I don’t care what Lynn does and I don’t care about company policies, culture, advertising etc.

Ok.

I think he is an arrogant blow hard who just killed a great product with this sellout to GSM.

So....wait. What?

LT is an amazing showman, entertainer, salesman, etc. Do I take him seriously? Heck no! Do I respect him? Yup.

Do I take the Espada XL seriously? Heck no! Is it cool regardless? Yup.

LT’s a sell-out because he had enough and decided to move on?

So my dad’s a sell-out because he retired after 40 years and sold his business on the way out?

Will I be a sell-out when it’s time for me to hang up my spurs and (hopefully) enjoy some of the fruits of my efforts?

Without LT there never woulda been CS. Time, perhaps not much time, will tell if there can be a CS without him. I’m guessing that from the revival of this thread (and other extensive discussions), lots of people are fearful it won’t.

That being the case, I’m going to say that a certain “arrogant blow-hard sell-out” was pretty good at what he did.

Last edited:
In truth, I think it's all down hill from here. Public corporations are about profit and happy share holders. They will bump up the price, cut employee salaries and start skimping on materials. If I were you friend, I would buy a couple of my favorite models now, while they are still good. The past couple weeks I have been clearing Amazon of their Cold Steel stock. Love that free shipping

Ya buddy, things are changing. I'm buying 5160 from Ontario right now as I hear the bells tolling, and I like to bash wood/burn it outside. I got all the C.S. pieces that where prioritized for my interests.:thumbsup: I have a boat load of XL folders, 4 SRK's etc.

Ok.

So....wait. What?

LT is an amazing showman, entertainer, salesman, etc. Do I take him seriously? Heck no! Do I respect him? Yup.

So my dad’s a sell-out because he retired after 40 years and sold his business on the way out?

Will I be a sell-out when it’s time for me to hang up my spurs and (hopefully) enjoy some of the fruits of my efforts?

Without LT there never woulda been CS. Time, perhaps not much time, will tell if there can be a CS without him. I’m guessing that from the revival of this thread (and other extensive discussions), lots of people are fearful it won’t.

That being the case, I’m going to say that a certain “arrogant blow-hard sell-out” was pretty good at what he did.

Yes he was. And he could have protected his legacy too, but he chose what he chose and that's fine. However, maybe the guy shouldn't talk about honor this, warrior that, and then sell your lifes work and a gift to the American people for a little extra scratch and IF you are, atleast be honest about it

Last edited:
Ok.

So....wait. What?

1st off, I never said I did not respect Lynn Thompson. 2nd, I did not mean “sellout” in the way you took it. Probably a bad choice of words on my part, but I simply meant he sold his company. 3rdly, Lynn himself would call himself an arrogant man who talks about himself way too much.

Lastly, and most important, so listen very close my friend. Lynn built an amazing company that offered a superb product. You can’t take money with you when God punches your ticket. What will Lynn’s legacy be now? After he is gone and the surviving family war it out in court over his surviving assets, what will he be remembered for? He will be remembered for building a great company from the ground up and then shafting his employees, customers, and all the folks who made Cold Steel what it was. He stabbed all his supporters in the back and for what? More money that you can’t take with you? He sold his legacy and what could have been among the few truly great American family owned businesses.

Matter of fact, it’s like this. Imagine I raised a beautiful baby girl. I watched over, protected her and nurtured her for 30 years. Until one day I get tired and sell her to a pimp to get turned out and wrecked. That is what Lynn Thompson did.

Last edited:
Yes he was. And he could have protected his legacy too, but he chose what he chose and that's fine. However, maybe the guy shouldn't talk about honor this, warrior that, and then sell your lifes work and a gift to the American people for a little extra scratch and IF you are, atleast be honest about it

Honor and being a warrior and all that has nothing to do with selling a business. LT owes us nothing. Zilch. Zero. Nada. Null. Goose egg. For 40 years he oversaw a company that was big on show and offered some really cool and solid products that were often at an affordable price.

When we think of Cold Steel, we think of LT. I get that, and I think the new CS is going to be a shell of what is has been for the last 4 decades.

However, Lynn deserves to ride off into the sunset and sit under his own fig tree. Whatever he built is his to do with as he sees fit. What he "owes" us was paid. I wanted a knife, he sold a knife. I have a knife, he has my $$. While I think selling to a big buying group isn't good for the brand, I dont blame him. The dollar figure i have in my head for my business is a hellova lot lower than what I'm sure he got. I do wish it had been better for his workers, bit sometimes that's how big companies get sold.

Matter of fact, it’s like this. Imagine I raised a beautiful baby girl. I watched over, protected her and nurtured her for 30 years. Until one day I get tired and sell her to a pimp to get turned out and wrecked. That is what Lynn Thompson did.

So now LT is a sex trafficker equivalent?

I’ll double down on “wow”.

I’m out. Enjoy the thread.

Back