Why do I hate Cold Steel?

Which CS swords - they have quite a big range of different repro sword models from various countries and historical periods?
Every CS sword I've handled has an edge grind like a knife. A secondary bevel like you'd see on a folder. This is just not how any sword should be ground. And it's not how swords were ground when they were being used in combat.

Zieg

I can’t. I just... there are no words for how how much of a clown he makes himself in that video.
The sad part is that if you listen closely between his way of presenting it there are some actual valid points lost to the foolish presentation he uses.
I really don't mean to sound rude or offensive, but how can a man who claims to be a beast working out and training all sorts of stuff have the built of a Hobbit?
I had a similar thought he claims do do all this stuff yet has a physique that looks like he has been doing it. I agree that is definitely seems counter to what he is claiming but I do understand that medical science can actually have a valid reason for it too and it could in part be his choice of wardrobe hiding what he has accomplished.

I can definitely appreciate the usefulness of the pattern for scraping in your millwright context. For package opening, less so as I have no trouble choking up on a blade to prevent over penetating the box. Cutting rope, not the best in my experience. But the American tanto is a successful pattern, for sure. If it weren't, it wouldn't sell. I just don't like it. It never did anything well at all for me except look tactical. When it came to my chores, it was lacking.

Zieg
We're probably not talking about the same kind of "packages". If you look in the pic below, under the distributor you'll see packages made of thick cardboard enveloped in a plywood outer shell. An electric screwdriver take car of the plywood, but you need a good knife to get through the cardboard(utility knives usually break after 4 inches of cuts). We're probably not talking about the same kind of ropes either :)

IMG_0623.jpg

Just throwing that in the ring as a possibility with out saying how near or distant that possibility may be.

The sad part is that if you listen closely between his way of presenting it there are some actual valid points lost to the foolish presentation he uses.
I had a similar thought he claims do do all this stuff yet has a physique that looks like he has been doing it. I agree that is definitely seems counter to what he is claiming but I do understand that medical science can actually have a valid reason for it too and it could in part be his choice of wardrobe hiding what he has accomplished.
As he is a self made man, I respect LT's accomplishments. I also respect his training ethic. I don't dig trophy hunting, personally, but he idolizes the Teddy Roosevelt type and he romanticizes the late colonial era so I can understand his mentality. He has surrounded himself with people who will put up with his braggadocio because they want something he has or can bestow on them or because they like the feeling it gives them to be around such a forceful personality. That is the sort of person it takes to compete in a tough market. He's not on my list of dinner invitees, though.

Zieg

We're probably not talking about the same kind of "packages". If you look in the pic below, under the distributor you'll see packages made of thick cardboard enveloped in a plywood outer shell. An electric screwdriver take car of the plywood, but you need a good knife to get through the cardboard(utility knives usually break after 4 inches of cuts). We're probably not talking about the same kind of ropes either :)

IMG_0623.jpg
You have the right tool for your job, then. I agree about utility knives breaking. I've had that experience. If I were in your world, I might very well pick up on the American tanto's utility. Otherwise, I'm not seeing it.

Zieg

I have nothing against LT per se.

He has made one heck of a business venture, thats for sure.

Hearing him say, that he lives a martial life, the way of the warrior, can be a bit too much.

Could be argued to be part of the advertising of course...

Some of his knives do cater to the mall ninja type, some of whom tend to be a tad fanatical.

I neither love nor hate CS products. IMO, they put out some very good stuff and some not so good, pretty much like (almost) every other company. Some of their stuff is great, but isn't for me. And I do own several CS knives. I've just never 'bonded' with any of them, if that makes any sense. To each his/her own. I do think the Broken Skull folder is quite good, and I got mine when they were going for $45, but I still strongly dislike the pocket clip, and all CS clips.

At this point, I don't really have much opinion on Lynn Thompson, other than he does his thing. I've been into martial arts for over 41 years, and I would never refer to myself as a warrior. Because, quite frankly, I've never fought in a war. I have experienced competition in the US and Asia, and have successfully defended my life on the street once, and while the danger was very real in the latter incident, that's not the same thing as fighting in a war.

And just to play devil's advocate, I learned early on that looks can be deceiving. I've seen some overweight people who were in deceptively better condition, and more athletic/physically competent than their physiques would indicate. *I'm not saying this does or doesn't apply to LT,* just putting it out there. Having a Channing Tatum physique alone does not make someone a better fighter or martial artist.

Jim

A couple of good points, James.

As a vet, I dont put down my occupation as 'warrior' nor claim to live a 'martial life.'

But thats LTs business. Could quite literally be part of the business i.e. company blurb.

As for LTs clothing, I dont think, its concealing much more than the obvious.

Again, thats LTs business.

I for one dont want to inquire further into that matter.

I like some of the knives. Others I dont.

Ill just continue to buy and keep the ones, I like.

Recently bought a Drop Forged Hunter.
Solid but a tad bulky with the balance a bit off - like a few other CS products. Others are fine.

Jury is still out on the CS DP Hunter.

Wont keep me from buying another drop forged like the survivalist, should I so desire.

They make some good stuff. I have a number of their folders. Great values and even better if you buy used.

Thanks, I watched part of the video and now I hate CS too.

But seriously, I can't fault LT, everyone needs a hobby.

I really don't mean to sound rude or offensive, but how can a man who claims to be a beast working out and training all sorts of stuff have the built of a Hobbit?

Some of those fatboys will surprise you. I remember in my military days we had people that looked overweight but were built like a horse.

Lynn Thompson never impressed me in his videos with his physical fitness. He seems to be in decent shape, despite the fluffiness.

On a side note, I think his sword videos are appropriate given that they aren't much good for anything but show or fun.

I get hating on CS for the meat boots and car doors and "watch the chubby dude pretend he's a samurai" videos, but they make some high quality cutting tools at reasonable prices.

For example, I own piles of custom fixed blade carving knives, and my go-to knives for whittling are still CS Tuff Lite Mini and Tuff Lite folders like this guy:

gPzHOE8.jpg

Back