Why do I hate Cold Steel?

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread
o.png

If you were rooting for the Cape buffalo, you probably hate both the man and the company!
But, where else can you buy a blowgun that will take out a squirrel at 20 yards for $25?
Or an XL throwing star that is as accurate as a pro frisbee and will stick through plywood every time at 30 yards for $10? Everyone has an inner mall ninja, and cheap thrills are what I like about cold steel. Never bought a folder or a fixed blade from them except for a $20 magnum kukri machete and a $20 recon tanto. They both work pretty well. Oh, and I’ve got a “Russian special forces shovel” (also <$20 with sheath $22) for each vehicle. These work as well on ice as they do decapitating carjackers.

I've been considering one of the Micro Recon 1's for this very purpose. I just placed an order.

cold-steel-micro-recon-1-knife-tanto.jpg
I got my micro and the first thing I did with it was stab through a thick goya juice can. The coating was slightly removed, but I was in love with my purchase

They bbq and eat the hacked remnants I beleive....I ignore the hype and as an outdoorsman they have a lot of good plain non mall ninja offerings you just have to weed through the gimmicky chaffe

I wasn't impressed for years, the couple of folders I had were pretty cheap and felt like it. Then they changed and started using better steel and construction, so I bought a recon1. Then another, then another, then a 4max. They make a good folder particularly for the price. The tomahawks are a solid deal too.

I hold no malice in my heart towards C.S., they just never did anything for me, however... I do own just one that I picked up at a flea market N.I.B.
It is literally sick/scalpel sharp and the 'S' curve would no doubt inflict an insane bite in a muggers pectoral or deltoid muscle.
The 1 negative about it is the blade has a just a tiny bit of side to side play.. can't figure out how to tighten it up because the pivot is not a screw.
Btw, I know several cops that like carrying C.S. folders.

DSCN1269_zpsb2bacadf.jpg

DSCN1268_zps69e8176d.jpg

DSCN1266_zps38437631.jpg

DSCN1265_zps8c23689e.jpg

DSCN1260_zps0f8b1bcb.jpg

ColdSteel-ElLobo_box_zps402ff8a2.jpg

I've had the Talon 2 multiple times in a shopping cart. Maybe I'll get it sometime just to see what Cold Steels quality and feel in hand is like.

I have 2 CS Trail Master bowies.
One is a carbon Steel that is black and the second is a San Mai.
The carbon steel TM has been with me on every ATV ride here in Fairbanks AK and it has performed better than a lot of my knives. I just keep the edge dressed after use. I have cut trees across the trail and split kindling withit when I forgot my axe. I paid. 90.00 for the knife and and 140.00 for a kydex sheath. Both money well spent. I think when I was a younger man...the knife I liked from CS was the Tanto.
But I really can’t say enough good things about my Trail Masters. Any how...that’s my Two cents!!

.... I just keep the edge dressed after use.

Does that mean sharpened or stropped or..... and is that common knife parlance?

Ive hear people say, they 'dressed a deer' with a knife after hunting.

I mean no disrespect - merely curious.

Always neat to pick up new knife slang.

The Trailmaster; good for you, that you are happy with it.
It is a nice knife and a classic.

I read about people having custom bowies made and then also having a TM to wail on.

The TM tends to suck it up and ask for more.

I want one.

If I we’re to describe my use of the term dressed. I mean just a quick hone
Perhaps my use of the term is just a local thing.
Yeah!!! I love my Trail Master...the thing is weighted and swings well in a chopping motion.
The carbon steel version is Chinese but they did this knife right

I mean just a quick hone
Perhaps my use of the term is just a local thing.
Yeah!!! I love my Trail Master...the thing is weighted and swings well in a chopping motion.
Okay, got ya.

Yep, the TM rocks.

I did had a chance to buy an old one a while ago but stupidly passed, as some other knife tempted me at the time.

I didn't read most this thread, being late to the game, but:

I never really warmed up to the company. For most of the company's history, they seemed to sell mostly mall ninja stuff with a couple usable budget stuff. Then the videos came out. Not a good look to me. There is a market for them, otherwise they wouldn't exist, so more power to them for meeting a market demand. But as a gun & knife owner that is exactly the look I have to explain my way out of.
Then they came out with some more practical EDC stuff. I bought a Lucky One. They have the Lawman & stuff.
But then they patented "San Mai III" & used that to go after small knife makers. If you don't know "San Mai" is a Japanese term that predates the European Renaissance.
So now they have some vaguely interesting designs that look usable, but no more so than other companies. However, because of the "San Mai III" incident I'm done with them. I certainly doubt they will come up with such a strong design that I will make me change my mind.

Cold steel had a few designs that look appealing but they always do something to screw them up.
The broken skull is the perfect example with the blacked out blade and billboard sized lettering.

I just wish they'd offer a little more variety on their existing models. Maybe some wood, bone, or micarta options instead of just G10 or plastic.

When I was a teenager I got a voyager and I thought it was the coolest knife ever. Then I grew up and kinda outgrew the brand. I think their knives are ok, but there are so many better options for me personally that I never even give them a second look.

I bought a mini Lawman and mini something else off the forum years ago. They were stiff to unlock, and the coating was bad (though that made it easy to strip). Didnt like them and eventually sold them back on the exchange.

With Spyderco's recent additional price jump, I started looking back at Cold Steel and picked up a Recon 1. $60 used ($80 new) for G10 and XHP seemed good. It is way easier to unlock than my old Cold Steels were, coating is great, and fit and finish too is great. I paid almost double for my Para 3, and while I really like that as well, it's not any better, definitely not worth as much more as it is, and in some ways not as good (steel, less comfortable bevels on the handle). This one wontw be my last CS for sure.

I don't like their videos or advertisements, but I don't buy anything based off a company's advertisements, so they also don't put me off.

Cold steel had a few designs that look appealing but they always do something to screw them up.
The broken skull is the perfect example with the blacked out blade and billboard sized lettering.

I just wish they'd offer a little more variety on their existing models. Maybe some wood, bone, or micarta options instead of just G10 or plastic.

Yeah, and the "LUCKY ONE" as well. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it came with a full flat grind! They are on to something, like with the broken sk.. and then they manage to fuck it up somehow.

Back