Why do knife snobs hate Cold Steel??

Status
Not open for further replies.
what kind of pellet gun?
I got a possum last night with a pellet gun that was digging in my wife's plants.
Totally blew him away, 50cal pellet gun:)

I love some of the cold steel products:
Trail boss axe : Cheap price but works great
Trail master knife : An excellent chopper that doesn't cost a fortune

A Crossman pump job - 1 to 10 pumps to select how much damage to inflict. At 25 to 30 yds, they get a dose of 6 or 7 pumps.

I hold sights at spine elevation, move them a bit to the tail/body junction & drop one right in the keister! :D

A good hit will make them run like 100 pit bulls are chasing them. :thumbup:

Yeah I know what you mean. ;)

What gets me is all the complete BS that gets thrown around over and over again, same stuff just repeated over and over and most of it's not even true or only partly true.

I have no loyalty to CS, but it's sad to see a Company get attacked every time someone starts a thread.

It's gets so bad people make up stories and those are repeated over and over like they are facts.
I totally agree coldsteel has some pretty talented knife makers and i think they deserve some credit. And before we go ranting about ethics what about other companies. Have we forgotten the spydie hole that was "borrowed" by benchmade. The spyderco chinook designed after the Sarco alligator, and the strider fiasco just to name a few no one is talking about them.

My personal opinion is that there's a fine line between inspiration and outright copying. Cold Steel sometimes walks the line pretty closely, but I feel that they tend towards the inspiration side more often than not. As a whole, I think that the knife industry grows in many ways as a result of inspiration drawn across brands/makers. After all, just imagine if pocket clips were limited to one manufacturer--or liner locks! Naturally there are limits to the extent to which inspiration can be drawn and still be within the bounds of good taste, but nevertheless the industry is bettered by the spread of ideas. All that needs to be done is for credit to be given where credit is due. ;) Cold Steel rubs some folks the wrong way for a variety of reasons, and does me as well in some ways, but they remain ok in my book. :)

They have always been expensive, sometimes mislead that a product is made in the USA but almost all of CS's line is made overseas, marketed their knives as self defense and offensive tools (non-sporting type knives). I have two of their high priced tantos and fit and finish is very good, durability outstanding, had them close to 20 years.

I think the hate comes from selling mass produced knives made in Japan, China, and India for near custom maker prices plus Lynn being a bit of a bluster guy.

Really now, thanks for that. I smell a T>>>>R>>>>O>>>>L>>>>>L post.

Seems like anything with Cold Steels name on it is destined to be drug up from archiveland.

+1. That is a flood! Zero new content - just keeping as much CS on the fist page as they can. Is there a special bonus promised by the company somewhere? I want a piece! :D

+1. That is a flood! Zero new content - just keeping as much CS on the fist page as they can. Is there a special bonus promised by the company somewhere? I want a piece! :D

I think they offer a pig hung from a rope to test your knives on.

I like the way their stuff looks and all and I even bought one of their tomahawks and handle broke on the the first day. I prefer American made stuff not Korean, Chinese or Japanese.

Because I'm a normal human being, of which CS has never made a knife for.

It's always extreme ergonomics that only fit one type of hand size or weird, screwed up blades that are 7 inches long or tactical blades meant for people who... take pictures of tactical knives (or Tex Grebner). I'd like for the entire company to sit down, have a chat and make a knife that's just... moderate.

It's always extreme ergonomics that only fit one type of hand size or weird, screwed up blades that are 7 inches long or tactical blades meant for people who... take pictures of tactical knives (or Tex Grebner). I'd like for the entire company to sit down, have a chat and make a knife that's just... moderate.

You can always go for Kershaw, Spyderco, or Benchmade. We mall ninjas want cold steel to keep making the rajah 2's, Espada XL's, Sword Canes, etc.

I am not sure what the real reasons are getting away from the politics in the knife industry. That's something I don't get into or care about.

For user blades CS makes some of the best beater and user knives around price wise so if one really uses their knives CS has some excellent values.

Between them and Spyderco I am not sure one could do better for the money value wise that these 2 Companies.

ditto...

SEMPER-FI TIL I DIE

Then you may want to look at Benchmade, Kershaw, Emerson, etc.
CS shouts from the rooftops how "their steel" is the best. Most of it is 420 or AUS8 when you are spending money like that, you can get a much higher quality knife and steel for the price of CS..., Why? Someone has to pay for all the advertising.
I believe their very early stuff was OK, but sure has gone way down hill since those day's 20+ years ago.
Right now they seem to market a lot of trinkets that "look cool" (as in some of the $4.99 and $9.99 Smokey Mt. knife works fliers have in them, which is fine, but for 10x the price, just a waste of money, IMO
CS charges top dollar for AUS8 steel, could you imagine the price you would pay for ZDP-189, S30V, 154CM, etc, etc, etc.
AUS8 is OK, but DEFINITELY NOT "Premium, other than the price"

You posted, they listened. Check out the new Hunter series of folders--I think a lot of people feel the same as you and the Hunter series will sell well.

I appreciate that CS makes knives that are designed as weapons. That takes balls.

I hate the fact they think they are bad-arses because of it.

SOME of their models are hugely useful, and exceedingly cost effective (Bushman, GI Tanto) - Others are ABSURDLY priced, given what they are made of (Magnum Tanto - $250 for a massed produced tanto with a rubber grip? / Laredo Bowie - $200 for a knife with FAKE wood?).

On the whole, I think they are a mixed bag. I neither hate nor love them.

Last edited:
beatingadeadhorse.gif

Nothing like the good ol' daily "why do people hate CS" thread! :D

Anyway, welcome to the forums. Nothing against you personally, just pointing out that we see
alot of these threads, this and "what are serrations really good for?" theads! haha!

Best,
Trev

Then you may want to look at Benchmade, Kershaw, Emerson, etc.

...What do you think I buy? I'm primarially a Kershaw and Spyderco fan as it is though I'd like to have one Cold Steel just to say I do, preferably one that wasn't designed to chop off the heads of fictional anime villains.

You posted, they listened. Check out the new Hunter series of folders--I think a lot of people feel the same as you and the Hunter series will sell well.

What does interest me is the mini-recon series. I liked the Recon 1's design from the get-go, I just find it too large for an EDC knife, the minis will have a 3" blade which is PERFECT.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back