Why do knife snobs hate Cold Steel??

Status
Not open for further replies.
RW Proto!! Ahhh!!!

I'm a big fan of RW. My next project is a Demko folding kerambit and will be the last one he'll make with a wave thumbplate unless i can beg him to do more.

Really a knice question, I suppose. Of course, one's prima facie lead to ASsume that people do
in fact hate CS. Hey but WTF, we all know they do. BTW have you ever met Lynn?

Oh yeah the bowie knife design is the best in the world hands down, It can do everything well.

________________________ My all time favorite Blade Shape: Clip Point Forever!

Anyone who has ever compared knives, honestly compared them will admit CS is a lower quality knife and most of the money is in marketing instead of the product.

See, that's where you must be confused, because there are plenty of people on this thread alone who say otherwise.

I didn't buy any CS knives for a while, probably 2-3 years after starting to collect. Armed with advice and knowledge from here and other forums, I felt too damn proud and too good for AUS-8 or similar, Made in Taiwan, and marketing like you see on the shopping channel. I wanted titanium everywhere, at least 154CM and so on.

Finally few CS products later, I don't have a problem buying any model from them that I'm interested in because I found out for myself that "super steels" are just steels in the end - it's not gonna chop a rock in half and not get dinged, countries like Taiwan and China can make quality knives, and the marketing that I used to hate has become entertaining to watch because CS is the only one who even makes a video promoting their products showing them in use. If someone made the same type of video with CRK or Striders, would people hate it? Of course not, as a fan of knives, watching any knife in use should be interesting(excluding badly produced home videos cutting water bottles...getting a little old now lol). Are Cold Steel knives a good value? If you want to break it down into what materials you get, no. If you want to actually use the knife, they're a great value.

I think newcomers in general tend to heavily lean towards the pricey steels because they have no experience sharpening a knife and they like the idea of keeping the factory edge as long as possible, and they think showing off an expensive blade with exotic materials reflect how much they know about knives. It's only when they grow tired of the main 'knife enthusiast' brands they may try a CS knife because of their unique offerings and realize they make some pretty good stuff.

Also, those marketing videos can't possibly cost that much. Probably a lot less than the Camaro LT bought for one of the employees for 20 years of service. And you'd have to think that all other companies are(or should be) spending similar amounts testing their knives, just that CS wants to get some more mileage out of the expense.

He does but it was cut off... by the camera :p

He does but it was cut off... by the camera :p

We have one, looked similar. Our's is an American Bobtail.
I am not a cat guy, but that one is cool:)
I like the wild type cats. Thinking about a Bengal, but you know- $$$, plus, we have 3 Macaws and a Conure, I don't think everyone would get along, LOL!!
Take care and thanks for the info and vid!!

The only cold steel I have right now is a san mai III srk, and its a damn good knife. Probably my most high end knife is my fallkniven a1, and although it is a great knife, it may be unimpressive to some of you guys. That being said I got the srk to compare it to the a1 and because I love the style. It is a great knife make from pretty good materials and has held a wicked edge and sharpened up nicley the few times I have needed to sharpen it. I liked it so much in fact I now have a recon scout on the way. It would be easy to trash talk the knives because the the marketing, but if someone were to hand you a recon scout, or srk, or recon 1 without the country of origin on it and with no prior knowledge of cold steel, what would you think? Sorry if im not making sense, kinda late.

We have one, looked similar. Our's is an American Bobtail.
I am not a cat guy, but that one is cool:)
I like the wild type cats. Thinking about a Bengal, but you know- $$$, plus, we have 3 Macaws and a Conure, I don't think everyone would get along, LOL!!
Take care and thanks for the info and vid!!

I'd eventually like to get a female serval F3 and name her Felony. Those cats can be as smart as a 4 year old. I love my Big Kitty. He sleeps in bed with us. He will style your eyebrows if you let him.

I'd eventually like to get a female serval F3 and name her Felony. Those cats can be as smart as a 4 year old. I love my Big Kitty. He sleeps in bed with us. He will style your eyebrows if you let him.

photo-3.jpg
[/IMG]

45.png

I actually have an F3 male named Puma, hes 18 pounds and BIG! I got him 3 years ago from a guy in Cali for $1800 but they go for alot more
depending on coat. I got him discounted cause hes more silver than gold and only his stomach and half his back is spotted.
But hes huge and has all the quirks.

Id like dogs more but want to wait till I get a big ol house he can run around in first.

Last edited:
i think all the big production knife companys have the good and the bad.. i like some of cold steels stuff? how can you hate a whole company? I think if you buy a knife... not only do you look for quality... but also design and shape i have a spartan from them and well... i got it because i thought it looked evil i think it can handle a hell of a beating...if you wear gloves.(otherwise the handle chews your pinky) i purposly abuse it to see what it can do and i havnt had any problems beating on crap with it... the endura and delica cost more and cant chop trees down... but then again i love the waved endura so i think its to each their own... but to say Cold Steel Sucks is a bit narrow minded

yea i realize the big difference between a spartan and an endura in comparison but i dont have any other spydercos to compare to.... i think both are great quality for the $$ ( i dunno about list price.. i browse the web for the cheapest price)

Charlie Mike &
Sharp lupo-

Nice!!
I am not really "into" cats, but after a show on animal planet, cats 101, it showed a lot of different cats and like you said, some are real smart, some are "dog like" and like to play "fetch", etc and can be trained.

When I got married, my wife had a black cat, he was beautiful, looked like a black panther and at over 20#, he was gorgeous.
He had the temperment of something other than a cat, he was so cool and very smart. Any time you call him, he would come, tell him to stay off the counter top and stove and he would.
I like the rare, smart, cool cats, buy man..., they cost to get them.
Like the birds we have, they are not cheap, that's for sure and B-I-G, 4' wing span, we finally just gave them the living room and built us a theater instead.
Guess we better get to knives again:)

What is the cost of something like the RW Proto?
What is the cost to get a knife "waved" or is it possible on others?
Thanks...

I traded an IKBS DDR Gunhammer tanto for the RW proto. I think it cost Nate3993 $500. I wave my own knives, so I don't know what it costs... well actually, it costs $300 for the belt grinder and 2 bucks for the belts. LOL

Charlie Mike &
Sharp lupo-

Nice!!
I am not really "into" cats, but after a show on animal planet, cats 101, it showed a lot of different cats and like you said, some are real smart, some are "dog like" and like to play "fetch", etc and can be trained.

When I got married, my wife had a black cat, he was beautiful, looked like a black panther and at over 20#, he was gorgeous.
He had the temperment of something other than a cat, he was so cool and very smart. Any time you call him, he would come, tell him to stay off the counter top and stove and he would.
I like the rare, smart, cool cats, buy man..., they cost to get them.
Like the birds we have, they are not cheap, that's for sure and B-I-G, 4' wing span, we finally just gave them the living room and built us a theater instead.
Guess we better get to knives again:)

What is the cost of something like the RW Proto?
What is the cost to get a knife "waved" or is it possible on others?
Thanks...

43.png
[/IMG]

Thanks man.

I was never really a cat guy too but I couldnt have a big dog like I wanted so
I decided to get a more wild kind of cat. I love this little guy he really acts more dog than cat, he loves water for some reason and he can jump about 7 feet straight up! Plus hes super friendly he doesnt act like a little bitch like other cats do. Im glad I got him he has given some years of laughs and good times. Plus, the ladies love him! Hes another pic, you can see hes huge and takes up almost half the couch. I weighed him year and half ago he was pushing 19 lb but
might be in the low 20s now, and hes not a fat cat.

Back on topic, I cant answer any of your question lol sorry

Last edited:
All stray cats within 30 yds get a .177 pellet in their a** at our farm. If one is a particular nuisance (fight starter) and pest - it gets the scoped varmint rifle at about 125 yds when they come through a long drainage ditch & brushline that's a natural crossing spot for all critters going from our fields and into our formal "yard." Stray cats kill baby bunnies & pheasants. :grumpy: :barf:

All stray cats within 30 yds get a .177 pellet in their a** at our farm. If one is a particular nuisance (fight starter) and pest - it gets the scoped varmint rifle at about 125 yds when they come through a long drainage ditch & brushline that's a natural crossing spot for all critters going from our fields and into our formal "yard." Stray cats kill baby bunnies & pheasants. :grumpy: :barf:

LOL!

Poor homeless cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back