Why do knife snobs hate Cold Steel??

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my very limited experience, I think some of their stuff is too wackerific. But I'm a sucker for tanto blades, and I have a Recon 1, (nice size for large hands) a Kobun and a carbon recon tanto I grabbed on greedbay. The carbon Recon is beautiful.

I'm neutral on the rest of the line.

Rich

IV, how about a Voyager in medium size? I don't know about the new ones but the old ones in VG-1 and satin finish blades were/are very nice. :)

I love every time a cold steel thread comes up. People get so twisted one way or the other.One of the first good knives I bought was the cold steel scimitar the other was a kershaw blackout.I loved them both but in the end the blackout was given away first while the scimitar went on for years of non stop harsh environment use.I eventually gave it to a guy I worked with because he was always asking to buy it from me. I have many customs and high end spydies and benchmades and recently a zt550 so I don't consider myself a cs fanboy I have not bought one in years but something about the spartan made me want it so I bought it. I love it. I now find myself in the same harsh environment again so I bought a recon 1 because I wanted something that was tough as nails and if it gets dropped and lost I will only be at a fifty dollar loss.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

In this day and age, anything perceived as a weapon or even capable of being used as a weapon is being legislated and/or litigated against. Cold Steel unabashedly and unapologetically designs and markets most of their lines as weapons and this is the basis of the virulent hatred against them by so many. The usual reasons given - the steels aren't good enough, the price is too high, Lynn is fat, the designs are too mall ninja, etc., are mere rationalizations. A very large number of people seem to believe that if the potential of knives as weapons is never mentioned and even actively derided and the word tool is always stressed, the hoplophobes will leave their hobby alone. Since Cold Steel won't play along with the fantasy, so they are despised.

That's a load of horsecr*p if I ever heard one. You're accusing us of hating Cold Steel because they threaten our knife rights with their "tactical" pitches but use reasons of mall ninjary and other assery as the subterfuge, rather than saying what we say. I don't think we're that clever or stupid to do all of that.

Is this something you've kept under your hat for a long time or have I missed this ploy - going on right under my nose - for all of these years?

I don't hate them at all. And I really don't care how they promote their knives. The simple fact, though, is that the steels aren't good enough, the price is too high, Lynn is fat, and the designs are too mall ninja. Pretty hard to get around those things.

I like some of their knives. Their videos are comedy gold. Unintentional or intentional. I looked at their "Two Handed Great Sword" video the other day and I almost peed myself laughing.

I don't hate them at all. And I really don't care how they promote their knives. The simple fact, though, is that the steels aren't good enough, the price is too high, Lynn is fat, and the designs are too mall ninja. Pretty hard to get around those things.

But I still think the Vaquero is pirate-worthy...:p

In this day and age, anything perceived as a weapon or even capable of being used as a weapon is being legislated and/or litigated against. Cold Steel unabashedly and unapologetically designs and markets most of their lines as weapons and this is the basis of the virulent hatred against them by so many. The usual reasons given - the steels aren't good enough, the price is too high, Lynn is fat, the designs are too mall ninja, etc., are mere rationalizations. A very large number of people seem to believe that if the potential of knives as weapons is never mentioned and even actively derided and the word tool is always stressed, the hoplophobes will leave their hobby alone. Since Cold Steel won't play along with the fantasy, so they are despised.

That seems to make sense. Any time someone on Blade Forums suggests knives have a use as weapons the politically correct we're-too-evolved-for-that crowd jumps all over them. The exceptions are usually found when the posting is by someone military or an LEO. Then the many years of media conditioning kick in and they can safely post about knives as weapons.

Personally I find Cold Steel hit and miss. By and large I think their knives offer excellent value for the money. I've seen some postings here stating they they're overpriced and use poor steel. AUS 8 definitely isn't a top tier steel but it's certainly functional and even (with proper heat treat) good.

I know you do. I'll make an exception for you. Only for you.;)

Thanks, Sam. It is somewhat scimitar-ish and it's my only knife of theirs. Those are about my only justifications...

So lynn not backing down angers people I get that. I suppose hiding in fear of regulation will make the problem go away. I don't know, call me crazy but old school values seem to work for me. If you don't stand for something then you will fall for everything. You know, if they want to make the law three inches and you give in they will want to make it two inches tomorrow. What happens when they decide having black handles makes it a fighting knife? They will do to knives what they do to guns whittle away until all that's acceptable is a blunt wooden spoon. Like I said I don't consider myself a cs fanboy but god forbid I find myself with no other means of self preservation other than the knife in my hand I will be glad it was purpose built. Not looking to make this into an sd post but if I have to use the blunt wooden spoon to survive I would do that also.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Heck,I don't hate Cold Steel.They've just never made anything that floats my boat.

Thanks, Sam. It is somewhat scimitar-ish and it's my only knife of theirs. Those are about my only justifications...

The difference between you and the fanbois, Elliott, is that you actually know the difference between that and a real knife. I've got some junky things too (but I try not to advertise it).:D

I HATE cold steel.. I dont know how they are in business still.. CHEAP quality compared to others, the blades aint sharpe as others outa box... cheap feal, bad coatings when they coat in black.. oh boy i can keep going... but ill stop.. ;)

That's a load of horsecr*p if I ever heard one. You're accusing us of hating Cold Steel because they threaten our knife rights with their "tactical" pitches but use reasons of mall ninjary and other assery as the subterfuge, rather than saying what we say. I don't think we're that clever or stupid to do all of that.

Is this something you've kept under your hat for a long time or have I missed this ploy - going on right under my nose - for all of these years?

Didn't say everyone, dude, just a large number - but I still thinks it's true.

Like I said I don't consider myself a cs fanboy but god forbid I find myself with no other means of self preservation other than the knife in my hand I will be glad it was purpose built.
Agreed and hey.. I would totally buy a large 5.5 or more inch folder from spyderco or benchmade but they just don't have them. Shit , spyderco doesn't have the chinook anymore and benchmade doesn't have the skirmish,etc. Yes I have a benchmade bedlam and it's awesome but I think it's an exception.

A very large number of people seem to believe that if the potential of knives as weapons is never mentioned and even actively derided and the word tool is always stressed, the hoplophobes will leave their hobby alone. Since Cold Steel won't play along with the fantasy, so they are despised.

And by the way, a lot of us think the potential of knives as weapons shouldn't be mentioned because they're such lousy weapons. A gun will beat a knife just about every time, at least as a defensive tool. And if you're interested in using a knife as an offensive weapon, then yes, you're in the wrong place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back