why do we keep getting different spyderco police versions without the original blade

what version would you buy

• full serrated

Votes: 29 43.9%
  • plain edge

Votes: 47 71.2%
  • combo

Votes: 8 12.1%

• Total voters
The original Police model ( "PIG" version ) was created because the Law Enforcement Community had asked for a Mariner / Rescue model with a sharp tip. We responded to that request. As the model evolved, we made changes based on performance rather than appearance. In my opinion, the P4 is the most functional and to be honest, I designed the P4 primarily for high performance EDC despite its large size. I carry one quite a bit, and I just approved of a serrated K390 version.

I'm not opposed to making a run with the original saber / dagger grind and original shape. Since the model would be created more with appearance, what would you like to see? I thought about adding the "PIG" engraving, but decided against it. I would however would prefer to engrave something more specific like the "PIG", but haven't come up with anything yet.

Hey Jack, thanx much for the interest and support.

sal

I'd scrape up the money for a sprint run of the original blade and G-10 or carbon fiber scales (solid carbon fiber). :)

For an engraving, "POLICE" like usual on the one side, and maybe "Honour and Integrity" or something like that on the reverse side.

Whatever the engraving ended up being, I'd buy one.
Love that blade...grudgingly accept the stainless steel handle. ;)

Maybe blue G-10, being the Police model?
Textured for sure. Probably medium coarseness.

For edge, with enough cash for one, I'd get full serrated.
If I end up with cash for two, I'd get the plain edge as well, but full serrated is the iconic edge for the original blade style. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hi all, bit late to this but I had a Police model early on’90-‘91 ish but gifted it to the FIL, I’m interested in another one.
If I was able to choose particulars for me personally it would be linered (of some sort) g10 in a plain edge original blade shape in a steel that I don’t have yet, ie. not VG10 S30V. I’d be happy with a relatively non stainless and I think just the original Police marking is sufficient.
As far as the G10 texture goes I iwb my Manix 2 all the time and don’t have an issue with it, though something slightly smoother could be better if grip wasn’t compromised.
Cheers all.

Hard to know what I want in a police model as I haven't carried one in a long time. Decided to pick up an old SE Police in G-2 with the one position clip. I'll carry it for a week or two and let you all know what I like and what I miss.

Hi Blues,

I hear what you are saying, but this maker has been working with us for 40 years. I worked with the grandfather and the father and my son, Eric, works the the Grandson. They made all of our early knives that launched our knife company. They have been proud partners for as long as our company has been making knives. In our challenges, they carried us. In their challenges, we carried them. In our value system, it would be disloyal, dishonorable and unfair to take their Police model from them. Sorry.

sal
Freaking love this ^ guy. Now, where's my wallet? I have knives to buy.

OK so I'd certainly be in for a "Classic Police Model" As far as handle material goes a Dark Navy textured G10 seems like a good color. How about adding the Diamond Arc to it like on the S45Vn sprint run? Regarding steel, if it has to be a Seki steel I vote ZDP-189. If we can do an American Steel my vote is S90V...underrated...just like our men and women of law enforcement. On to the labels, how about "Police" on one side and "Protect and Serve" on the other?

For some models CQI is an adulteration not an improvement. FFG is the worst thing done to the Police model.

RG4wV6U.jpg

I couldn't possibly disagree more. :D

Very late to the game, better late than never i always say. I have enjoyed reading all the comments. OP great thread.
I like Black G10 with blue line.
I’m a fan of VG10 and S30V(not all can afford the premium steels)
I like both SE and PE so i voted for CE.
If CE isn’t an option then SE is my choice.
I know its not the moto but i like
“To Serve and Protect”or just
“Serve and Protect”
This is cool thanks again for letting us be a part of it.
DN

Sal,
I just read your comment #37 on august 25th about the maker can no longer do a hollow grind? Does that imply that the police models currently in stock with the hollow grinds will be gone when they are sold out?
I like full flat grind as well but the hollow grind is more to the original knife and is the one i would want first! Thanks
DN

Hi David,

We're not sure. We're getting mixed signals so we'll need to learn more. H1 has to be hollow ground and we're still getting them?

sal

Sal,
Thanks for the quick reply. Your comment was one that entered my mind then i guess it took a little while for it to be sink in to how it might affect a future purchase. So many times i read how collectors miss out on a model because they hesitate. I know I personally have. I will keep researching and will continue to enjoy this hobby.
DN

Hi David,

We're not sure. We're getting mixed signals so we'll need to learn more. H1 has to be hollow ground and we're still getting them?

sal

Is the Salt series done by the same maker as the Police? After all, saber grind and hollow grind are neither synonymous nor mutually exclusive. Going through my collection, I seem to have almost as many flat saber grind as hollow saber grind

Hi Jack,

Changes are often the result of a piece of equipment is gone or a vendor stops, etc. It's a more flexible industry, though it seems stable. The stability comes from the constant adjusting that the companies have to do to be consistent.

sal

As with others, I'm late to the party here lol. Just pre-ordered my first Police, the K390 blue lightweight version. Whenever this retro project comes to fruition, I'll get one of those too.

I must say, Sal, your dedication to the craft and the community is awe inspiring like usual. The knife world is lucky indeed!

Haven’t posted here in ages.
I would be in for at least one as I have to support the return to something other than FFG.
Is the term “Peace Officer” passé these days? It implies to me keeping to the spirit of the law rather than rigid enforcement of the law.

Hi Eversion,

Thanx much for the kind words, we try.

Hey Sharpbits,

We've got the design off to the maker and we're waiting for a response.

Hi Jack,

it has been inconsistent. One machine breaks.....one machine is fixed.

sal

Late to the party on this but I'm glad it turned up in my searching. I'm in for one for each member of the family plus a couple extra if I'm lucky enough. I love the original blade profile and can't wait to have it in a different handle.

Back