Why secondary and micro bevels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I just haven't been exposed to the right beer just yet. Then again, I'd drink a bottle with you guys any time (even if I had to choke it down :D).

DING DING DING DING!!!! And we have the winner for most succinct answer.....That thoroughly answers the OP!!! :)

Ya, I'm brilliant like that. :)

You know Monkey, when Tai's posts are more sober, reasoned and logical than yours, it's time to step back and take stock :)

Long hand survey closures? did you keep field notes on a scroll, too? Just kidding Fred, I can do closures longhand but least squares adjustment in CAD is a lot quicker, lol. Nice to see a fellow surveyor making knives, btw

randy[/QUOTEi
1960 I found myself on a crew running control for the new interstate highway system. Working outside was great and I loved the math involved. I carried basic trig functions in my head and ran curves without a sheet.

A time before the Bomar Brain.

The earliest computer we got to run closures used the perforated cards. Don't remember what they were called.

Wouldn't you agree that the years spent surveying is an asset when it comes to making knives?

Fred

Last edited:
Ya, I'm brilliant like that. :)

You know Monkey, when Tai's posts are more sober, reasoned and logical than yours, it's time to step back and take stock :)

... I don't think I've really said much of anything.

I could have another beer and sing us all a song though...

Thick skin and skull aside,... Stop picking on Monkey, before his feelings get hurt.

The heat must be getting to me! LOL

I wonder if Forrest Gumpkey realizes that anyone (read potential customers) who googles "BMK" or "Bush Monkey Knives" will come across these threads. A mere 2-3 minutes of reading will inform them all they need to know of his asshattery. He is litterally killing his own business. so please Please PLEASE BMK make more inane, quasi-inquisitive trollful posts, will you please! pretty please?

Jason

There are different grinds because there are different knife makers. Most knife makers seem to prefer secondary bevels, flat and hollw grinds. My utilitarian/minimalist approach to making knives naturally led to my preference of relatively simple single angle bevels.

Do you sincerely believe that is why there are different grinds?

or

Does making that statement make you feel OK with only doing one grind?

Saying you are a neophyte and then arguing with everyone is odd to say the least, to each their own but... you should print out this thread and take it to your social group and see what they think.

I don't know Jason,... from my observations most of the best and most successful knifemakers in the world are pretty whacked out... OCD or whatever.

That should tell us something...

Haven’t you heard of “cutting chi”?

Last edited:
well no I havent, but I have heard one similar, but involves slicing a dairy product :( :D

There are different grinds because there are different knife makers. Most knife makers seem to prefer secondary bevels, flat and hollw grinds. My utilitarian/minimalist approach to making knives naturally led to my preference of relatively simple single angle bevels.

Now the Neophyte is telling US why there are so many grinds... LOL! such a newb statement

Jason

"Cutting Chi: If chi energy passes a sharp corner it begins to spin and swirl, forming eddies and whirlpools like a fast-flowing stream passing a sharp bend. Cutting chi can occur inside or outside buildings. It can make personal chi energy spiral, leading to disorientation and confusion and, in time, ill-health."

I think knifemaking disorders etc., are an extreme example the effects of "cutting chi".

In order to survive in this business you need to have a very high tolerance to it, be aware of it,... and/or pace yourself.

Stacy’s psychological assessment was pretty spot on:

"I have to agree that BMK posts threads that tend to incite vehement discussion that sometimes descends into chaos. I have locked threads of his before. I don't know if he is a Troll, but can see how that name could be applied. I would describe his posting as childish and immature, bordering on OCD, but stopping short of being a Troll.
I think he likes to argue more than make knives. However,in defense of those who have complained to me, he has posted 22 times on this thread, and has mainly argued with those who answered his origional question....where he said he was a neophyte and didn't know the answer."

How’s that for succinct?

Do me next! Then Rick! Then Fred and Lorien. LOL

Last edited:
In my experience trying to grind a flat bevel with no change at the edge is futile. This is especially true with big knives with a broad cross section. The edge keeps disappearing as you struggle to maintain the flat bevel.

Whether this is corrected by stropping or grinding it is required.

BMK a well executed scandi grind is not simple, a full flat impossible.

Fred

Maybe I just haven't been exposed to the right beer just yet. Then again, I'd drink a bottle with you guys any time (even if I had to choke it down :D).

You don't like beer??? :eek::eek: I agree, TROLL!!! Lol... :D
If you ever come visit your buddy Wheeler and fly into Portland I'll take you to a dozen micro breweries here that will change your mind. Good beer is similar to fine cigars, once you have the best, there's no going back to the old stuff.

:confused::confused::confused:

for a topic I find to be endlessly fascinating, I feel as though I'm being 'naturally led' away from this thread- a very unusual situation- however I have a preference for 'relatively simple single' topic threads.

I can't handle the confusion, it's cutting the shit out of my chi.

Perhaps a thread on beer might be more easy to handle, even with a gluten intolerance. Gluten free beer is the scandi grind of fermented refreshments- avoided by most, but accepted by those who have no alternative.

I can't make beer but I'll bring the homemade wine.

And if any of you guys start psycho-analyzing me, I'm taking ALL the drinkables and going home! :p

just like with steel, shape, heat treat , there is no one that does it all the best. That usually ends up in something that just does alot of things ok, but none of them great. There's a proper "tool" for everything. Flat or hollow grinds are not simply a means for artistic expression.
many have asked these questions before you and have done their own experimentation. No one has a problem with you doing what ever kind of grind you feel is best suited to what you want to do. Unfortunatly this thread's starting to look like you asked a question trying to justify what you're doing.

I can't make beer but I'll bring the homemade wine.

And if any of you guys start psycho-analyzing me, I'm taking ALL the drinkables and going home! :p

I have 2 cases of homebrew lager- light, hoppy, and about 7%alc.
A hammer/drink- in is in order

I think we should invite Lorien and James to the party... :)

James,... We won't psychoanalyze you if you don't psychoanalyze us.

I'll bring some of my "anti-chi" homemade incense sticks... Cool!

Peace and Love

My utilitarian/minimalist approach to making knives naturally led to my preference of relatively simple single angle bevels.

That you can't produce without a jig... am I right? How long have you be grinding your own blades and testing them over a wide variety of tasks?

The W&SS knife challanges test blades under many conditions, doing various tasks from heavy chopping and batonning to delicate food prep. Nothing against the fine makers, but a scandi grind hasn't finished well yet. Not that they did poorly across the board... they are a specialty blade, not a wide spectrum utility.

To give you an idea of something you would think wouldn't work but does....

I was always afraid to show what type of grind I did for fear of being criticised about my angles. Now having done the testing myself, entering as many public contests as I could and offering up my blades for peer review, I feel confident enough to let it all hang out. Basically, I do the most shallow convex grind I can and knock the burr off at a steeper angle than the norm...

Bladegeometry2011.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back