Why we choose CRK

pvicenzi

Gold Member
The threads concerning lock flex, lock rock, vertical play etc. have got me thinking. Why do I pay a premium for a CRK? Is it the fastest flicker around? Nope. Can I hammer it through a car door? Nope. Can I hang a tank from the blade without the lock failing? Nope. Do I get the latest fad in steels? Nope. What do I get? I get decent materials, excellent design, the legendary tolerances, and great customer care. However, I am a bit concerned about the number of people sending their knives in that have been told the knife is within spec. I fear that the legendary CRK customer care may be a thing of the past. I hope this is not the case though.

I too fear the legendary service might be restricted at some point. I see so many people on various forums who send their knives in for a spa when there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. Someone drops their 21 in a couple inches of water for a few seconds and they think they have to send it in for spa to get it "freshened up". The knife is fine! If you want, take it apart and re-lube. I dropped one of my 21s in a glass of beer once. (See my screen name and posts) and I just rinsed it off, dried with a cloth and then let it air dry for a few hours. Guess what, it works fine.
I get they offer the service so people can choose how and when to use it but come on people, it's a knife.
Sorry, rant over. Carry on.....

Glad to hear someone say what I have been thinking for a long time.
The Spa service is fantastic, and free minus shipping. How can ya beat that?
But if everyone and their mother is sending in there knife for a spa service wouldn't this bog down the mothership? I know Tim added someone just to handle the spa treatments and such but come on. Many and I mean many knives are listed just back from the spa. Just think if Tim and company could focus on the real issues at hand instead of refinishing knives that maybe don't really need it. (Purely subjective) JMHO.

Just think if they started charging because they feel they are being taking advantage of? Could we blame them? I think it would be hard too myself. I have only had one ever treated to a spa treatment and it was because they recommended it. Knife was Fantastic, and I loved it, no doubt about it.

I have no problem with possibly paying for the spa treatment. My concern is with the number of people with some sort of blade play being told that this is normal.

Why did I choose to buy a CRK? I am currently on my fourth CRK. The first was a small Starbenza, the second was a Plain Jane small Sebenza with an Insingo blade. My third was a Mnandi and I do not remember the wood inlay, it was not a very exciting piece of wood. I sold all of them, I just couldn't seem to bond with the knife.

I moved onto slipjoints and while I like them very much I missed the build quality of a CRK and the only one that I regretted selling was the Mnandi. It fit my needs splendidly so I went and bought another Mnandi with box elder burl inlays and now I think I have a knife that will stay in my pocket for a very long time.

I have no problem with possibly paying for the spa treatment. My concern is with the number of people with some sort of blade play being told that this is normal.

If I remember right re-blasting once did have a price tag.

When I get my l21 back from crk I'll report back if it still has blade play. I pinched the washer thats on me but I took it apart because brand new out of the box it had blade play and not just a little.

With the exception of owning an "H" Sebenza, I have everything they have made , including Ti-Lock, and every other folding model since 1991.. Across the board , I have been very happy with the action, edge holding and function of every one. My EDC rotation is probably 15 different knives. I've been lucky , and have never had a "Lemon" . My experience with customer service has been excellent, even when they tell me NO , they are nice about it. I 'm sorry not everyone has had my luck!

I think because when you have a "Good One" man is it nice! 2 of my 3 31's are great. Nothing makes me feel better than to reach for my knife and have that feeling once in hand that everything is where it should be. It just feels good with that slightly strong detent and fluid like motion while thumbing the blade into position for the task at hand. Then the "WHACK" you just know your ready for anything. Then releasing the lockbar and closing the blade and knowing it's back in the center of it's nest with the sound of another "click" then sliding her back into the resting place in my pocket.
Whew! see guys, I got all worked up over just talking about her, guess that's why I buy them. :)

Be honest, the reason I bought my first CRK knife was to compare with my Spyderco’s. To be more specific, the spyderco spydiechef. I didn’t expect much more from CRK as my Spyderco or benchmade can do anything I want.

but after I de assembled a Seb 21 and understood all the hypers around CRK. I started buying more CRKs.

CRk is expensive as a knife for most of the people. But if thry are compared with many other knives in 200 too 500 price range, they are well worth the money.

Be honest, the reason I bought my first CRK knife was to compare with my Spyderco’s. To be more specific, the spyderco spydiechef. I didn’t expect much more from CRK as my Spyderco or benchmade can do anything I want.

but after I de assembled a Seb 21 and understood all the hypers around CRK. I started buying more CRKs.

Yes, the disassembly and the ease with which they go back together is huge. I have spent quite a bit of time tuning other knives after disassembly. It seems when you put most of the others back together, the blade does not center, or the lockup is wrong, and you have to fiddle around with them to get things right. Unless you pinch a washer, when you put your Sebenza back together, things are "right" without any adjustments.

I am newish to these forums, but not new to either knives or CRK.

I recently watched a three hour podcast regarding CRK in which the hosts had various critiques: action, steel choice and finish being amongst them. I must be missing something because I have never taken issue with any of my CRK’s action - they are fluid and smooth. Sure they are not flippers, but the thumb studs have proven more than adequate and I have no problem using them as one handed knives. I can flick them all open, I don’t typically do so; because in daily use I have little need to. Is S35VN long in the tooth as a blade steel? Perhaps, but I can bring an edge back in minutes with little effort; and that edge is more than adequate for my uses. I personally respect the newer designs; but the more modern Olamic, Koenig, etc don’t really appeal to me. I have little doubt they are excellent, but for me I don’t appreciate the aesthetics or design too terribly much. Could I be missing out? Possibly, but a CRK to these eyes has a soul that the others don’t.

CRK might be dated, but they are just right for me and every time I use mine bring joy and satisfaction to the task at hand. A knife is first and foremost a cutting tool; I choose to use CRK because of their soul, legacy and pedigree - outdated or not.

Oddly enough while I own multiple 1911’s, I wouldn’t ever carry one, perhaps a contradiction of sorts.

I recently watched a three hour podcast regarding CRK in which the hosts had various critiques: action, steel choice and finish being amongst them. I must be missing something because I have never taken issue with any of my CRK’s action - they are fluid and smooth. Sure they are not flippers, but the thumb studs have proven more than adequate and I have no problem using them as one handed knives. I can flick them all open, I don’t typically do so; because in daily use I have little need to. Is S35VN long in the tooth as a blade steel? Perhaps, but I can bring an edge back in minutes with little effort; and that edge is more than adequate for my uses. I personally respect the newer designs; but the more modern Olamic, Koenig, etc don’t really appeal to me. I have little doubt they are excellent, but for me I don’t appreciate the aesthetics or design too terribly much. Could I be missing out? Possibly, but a CRK to these eyes has a soul that the others don’t.

CRK might be dated, but they are just right for me and every time I use mine bring joy and satisfaction to the task at hand. A knife is first and foremost a cutting tool; I choose to use CRK because of their soul, legacy and pedigree - outdated or not.

Oddly enough while I own multiple 1911’s, I wouldn’t ever carry one, perhaps a contradiction of sorts.
I love 1911's and own a few myself. I rarely carry one though.

there is something wonderful about carrying a 1911 with a CRK

I humbly refer to it as “getting dressed”

I suggest you try it

I didn't mention why I choose CRK. It's as others stated. The tolerances and ease of maintaining them. If I find tolerances become sloppy then I'll no longer buy crk as that is what makes them desirable.

However, I am a bit concerned about the number of people sending their knives in that have been told the knife is within spec.
What qualifies you to say it's not within spec when the guys who actually designed and built it say it is?

Back